GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mirror Dip on Reverse: Anyone Figure out Return?

sfm5

Having to parallel park a LOT, I coded the car (using VCDS) to do mirror dip on reverse. Has saved me multiple times from curbing my right rear wheel (even more, anyway).

However, when I pull away, the mirror returns from dip to random heights. Sometimes it's a bit higher, sometimes lower, sometimes facing the sky.

It's then pretty dangerous when I check the right mirror (to merge) and realize I can't see the cars behind/to-the-side.

Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this?
. Use a different control module?
. I thought about wiring a resistor into the "up" motor motion, so that it slows down on return, and ends up in a lower position.
. Physically block the motor somehow so that it stops at the right height

Thanks in advance.
(Apologies for X-post with VWVortex)

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Having to parallel park a LOT, I coded the car (using VCDS) to do mirror dip on reverse. Has saved me multiple times from curbing my right rear wheel (even more, anyway).

However, when I pull away, the mirror returns from dip to random heights. Sometimes it's a bit higher, sometimes lower, sometimes facing the sky.

It's then pretty dangerous when I check the right mirror (to merge) and realize I can't see the cars behind/to-the-side.

Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this?
. Use a different control module?
. I thought about wiring a resistor into the "up" motor motion, so that it slows down on return, and ends up in a lower position.
. Physically block the motor somehow so that it stops at the right height

Thanks in advance.
(Apologies for X-post with VWVortex)

sfm: When you say that "I coded the car (using VCDS) to do mirror dip on reverse", I'm assuming that the car didn't have mirror-dip from new. This probably means that the control module for the passenger door (it's called the J387 module) doesn't have a mirror-memory facility. My vehicle has the memory function and the part number of my J387 module is 5Q4 959 592. Check your VCDS auto-scan report

sfm5

sfm: When you say that "I coded the car (using VCDS) to do mirror dip on reverse", I'm assuming that the car didn't have mirror-dip from new. This probably means that the control module for the passenger door (it's called the J387 module) doesn't have a mirror-memory facility. My vehicle has the memory function and the part number of my J387 module is 5Q4 959 592. Check your VCDS auto-scan report

Interesting! This is the information I've been looking for. Thanks for being so detailed!

No, I am pretty sure my module does NOT have any mirror-memory facility as no U.S. based MK7's seem to have memory seats, dip on reverse, etc. You are correct, I enabled it in VCDS, but it did not come with this functionality from the factory.

Do you have power memory seats? Interested to know if I need memory seats to enable memory mirror dip.

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Interesting! This is the information I've been looking for. Thanks for being so detailed!

No, I am pretty sure my module does NOT have any mirror-memory facility as no U.S. based MK7's seem to have memory seats, dip on reverse, etc. You are correct, I enabled it in VCDS, but it did not come with this functionality from the factory.

Do you have power memory seats? Interested to know if I need memory seats to enable memory mirror dip.

sfm: Yes I have read some posts that say that the mk7 can only have the dip-mirror if the car has a seat memory function. But it's not true. My car has mirror-dip without the seat memory function. On my car, I adjust the seats using a crank and levels (i.e. no motors, or memory of any kind), But I'm pretty sure that if you want the dip-mirror to operate correctly, you do need a memory function in the passenger side door control module - which kind-of makes sense if you think about it!

I can't tell you much about the J387 control module other than how it is wired - which doesn't help you because there will be no need to change the wiring if you decide to change the module. But, I can show you where J387 is physically located in the car (see pic below). The alphabetical letters show the 4 x connectors on the J387 module (the numeric "1" is the actual model). I've also included a photo of the actual unit that I got from an instruction document on how to fit folding mirrors

Last edited:

sfm5

Once again, thank you DV52 for the great information. Yes, I am familiar with those modules as I too refit my mirrors with power-folding units, and hooked up new mirrors to those modules.

I have found a module overseas (in Eurpope) that I have purchased on Ebay. I will replace my passenger module (the right side in the US) with this 5Q4 series, and see how it goes.

If that works, I will be reporting back to both forums, vwvortex and golfmk7.

Thanks again for your help, from half-way around the world.

pmcguire

Passed Driver's Ed
My car should have this feature, the tickbox is ticked in the system but I can't get it to work.

Any idea?

It's a 1.6tdi comfortline with mirror pack.

vidman

Ready to race!
In the UK the Mk7 GTi comes with mirror dip on reverse as standard - simply setting the mirror switch to the near side select reverse gear and adjust the mirror to the required dip, then whenever you select reverse the mirror dips to the preset and returns to normal after a couple of seconds going forward.

You do not need memory seats to get the dipping mirror over here so the module you have purchased should be fine if it is the standard UK GTi one

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion

Excellent information, thank you!

This is starting to make sense. My US model J387 module is part number [FONT=&quot]5Q0 959 592 B. Looks like I am on the hunt for a [/FONT]5Q4 959 592 B module as the mirror returning to a random position after dip is not ideal.

In the interim, still nice to have mirror dip coded. I work around by only having in "R" position when backing close to curbs, then readjust.

Last edited:

sfm5

Yup, my thoughts exactly. Although I am still a bit confused by the part numbers ending in 'B' vs those that are not. Since my US Autobahn came with a 5Q0...B version, I sourced a 5Q4...B as well. Not sure what the 'B' signifies. Anyone know?

Gignomeus

Ready to race!
In the UK the Mk7 GTi comes with mirror dip on reverse as standard - simply setting the mirror switch to the near side select reverse gear and adjust the mirror to the required dip, then whenever you select reverse the mirror dips to the preset and returns to normal after a couple of seconds going forward.

You do not need memory seats to get the dipping mirror over here so the module you have purchased should be fine if it is the standard UK GTi one

+1, key point is make sure your selector is set to the near side (passenger side) or it will do nothing.

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
My car should have this feature, the tickbox is ticked in the system but I can't get it to work.

Any idea?

It's a 1.6tdi comfortline with mirror pack.

Mr. McGuire: Hei- probably not the correct salutation in Finnish!.

Alas enabling mirror dip involves more than just ticking the panel on the Discover Media/Pro screen. After you do this, you have to complete an in-cabin set-up procedure which ostensibly entails:
1. Turn-on ignition but don't start the engine
2, Select Reverse
3. Select the passenger side on the mirror knob,
4. Adjust the passenger mirror position to where you want it to see the kerb,
5. Take the car out-of reverse and return to park (neutral)
6. Turn-off the ignition and the passenger mirror should return to the normal position (if you have the memory control module).

To use the dip function YOU MUST KEEP THE MIRROR KNOB TO THE PASSENGER SIDE.

Of course, all this assumes that mirror-dip is enabled in the passenger-side control module. If not, before you complete the process above, you must also have made changes to the Coding-string on the Door Elect. Passenger module (address hex52). For this purpose, you will need a VCDS cable, or you will need to know someone who has the cable and is willing to do the changes for you). I'm more than happy to do these changes for you, but you will need to bring your car here- it ain't that far, really. You just have to remember to keep driving South- if you reach Tasmania, you have gone too far!

Anyway, I've included a screen shot of the pertinent changes below. As you will see, the tweak involves changing Bits 1,2 & 3 in Byte 4 of the address 52 module.

I'm not sure how much you know about digital nomenclature when applied to VW's control modules (I wrote a short paper on the topic which you can find in the "how-to Guide" section of the following link here ). The hex/binary values in the pic are for an RoW- Australian model and the existing values for Byte 4 in a RoW - Finland, or NAR model (for others reading this post) might be different. However, you can check that you have made the correct coding changes by remembering that when Bits 1,2 & 3 are set-high, the equivalent hex value of the last digit in Byte 4 (this is called the "lower-nibble") should increase by "14". So if the last digit in Byte 4 isn't either E (if you have heated mirrors), or F (if you don't have heated mirrors) after you have changed the coding, you have made an error!! Yes, this is probably too much information, but it could help someone - I hope!!

Attachments

• 52-Door Elec Passenger (4).jpg
    52-Door Elec Passenger (4).jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 38,769
Last edited:

sfm5

Ok, so I've installed a 5Q4 module, and coded it via VCDS.

Unfortunately, installed in a US-spec car, it seems like the mirror movement (left/right, up/down) is REVERSED!

So when I put the car in reverse, the mirror turns left, for example, instead of down.

"Mirror Left on Reverse" vs "Mirror Dip on Reverse" if you will.

Not sure why this would be the case, but obviously the wiring is slightly different between US vs European markets, I have to assume.

I will be trying to figure out the wiring in the mirror housing (passenger side) to see if I can swap Left/Right for Up/Down.

A quick comparison of the two modules attached below.

DV52

Drag Racing Champion

Unfortunately, installed in a US-spec car, it seems like the mirror movement (left/right, up/down) is REVERSED!

So when I put the car in reverse, the mirror turns left, for example, instead of down.

Not sure why this would be the case, but obviously the wiring is slightly different between US vs European markets, I have to assume.

I will be trying to figure out the wiring in the mirror housing (passenger side) to see if I can swap Left/Right for Up/Down.

A quick comparison of the two modules attached below.
[/IMG]

sfm5: Hmm.... not quite sure which control module you purchased, but according to VW's information, the RHD and LHD models are wired the same. The number on the door control module in your pic is "5Q4 959 592 B". This is the same part number as the module on my passenger door (except for the "B"). I can understand the Logic is buying this unit given that the old part number on car was 5Q0 959 592. But my passenger door is on the left side of the car - which makes this module equivalent to your driver's side door. The control module on my driver's side is "5Q4 959 593". This module is for the door on the right side of the car, or your passenger side. This is messing with my brain big-time!!

Anyhow, I've put together the pertinent parts of the wiring diagram for the passenger door below. If I've understood your description correctly, I think that you have three possible options (Pin numbers are those on VX5):
1. you could try changing the left/right motor wire (red) on PIN-8 with the up/down motor wire (white) on PIN-2.
2. The other option is to swap the blue/red wire on PIN-3 with the grey/yellow wire on PIN-7.
3. The third option is both 1. and 2, above

Last edited:

Geomets

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf mk7 GTI
sfm5: Hmm.... not quite sure which control module you purchased, but according to VW's information, the RHD and LHD models are wired the same. The number on the door control module in your pic is "5Q4 959 592 B". This is the same part number as the module on my passenger door (except for the "B"). I can understand the Logic is buying this unit given that the old part number on car was 5Q0 959 592. But my passenger door is on the left side of the car - which makes this module equivalent to your driver's side door. The control module on my driver's side is "5Q4 959 593". This module is for the door on the right side of the car, or your passenger side. This is messing with my brain big-time!!

Anyhow, I've put together the pertinent parts of the wiring diagram for the passenger door below. If I've understood your description correctly, I think that you have three possible options (Pin numbers are those on VX5):
1. you could try changing the left/right motor wire (red) on PIN-8 with the up/down motor wire (white) on PIN-2.
2. The other option is to swap the blue/red wire on PIN-3 with the grey/yellow wire on PIN-7.
3. The third option is both 1. and 2, above

Indeed, according to VW terminology, "B" parts are for RHD cars. That was concluded after observation on many parts (wipers, etc.)

Mike10821

Passed Driver's Ed

This is such a cool thread, and will definitely become a popular mod if this gets sorted out!

My question is this... I see that the "Left" and "Down" are swapped in functionality with regards to using Reverse. Has anything changed when using the regular adjustment buttons on the drivers door? For instance, do Up Down Left and Right controls all function as normal, or are Left and Down swapped there as well?