GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VW Announces MIB II w/CarPlay & Android Auto

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr
VW just announced MIB II with CarPlay. This is great news and may explain the lack of Discovery Pro here. If so we get it in the 2016 R...thanks so much VW!

Check out the Jalopnik article.
http://jalopnik.com/apple-carplay-and-android-auto-coming-to-volkswagens-t-1677675567

Last edited:

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
I'm assuming that it will integrate the address book in one's smartphone with the car's sat/nav, as well as play any MP3 files stored in the phone as well. Those functions, along with other phone features ought to make this interface quite useful.

Right now I'm waffling back and forth between waiting a few extra months to get an R in a color I really want, as well as (hopefully) a sunroof along with whatever additional features which might be available on the 2016's, and preordering a blue R on the 8th; this MIB II interface along with the larger LCD screen has just pulled me back towards waiting until I can get a 2016 more tailored to my wants and needs. I don't know about the rest of you Americans, but I'm feeling as though I've been on a roller coaster with this car way too long for my liking. I sure hope that whatever way I go, it'll be worth all of this in the end.

krische

vdubber in training
I'm assuming that it will integrate the address book in one's smartphone with the car's sat/nav, as well as play any MP3 files stored in the phone as well.

That's what CarPlay/Android Auto are for. You don't need to store that stuff on the head unit anymore. It mostly just because a dumb screen/monitor for your phone to display apps and such on.

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion
I'd rather just use my phone... I have it mounted right next to the radio via proclip. I HATE APPLE MAPS! I would never use them. Seems lame to me, but whatever floats yer boat.

For what it's worth, we replaced our dedicated Garmin GPS with our Samsung Galaxy S4. We never bought the phone to replace our Garmin; however, the phone + google maps is a better experience than our Garmin.

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr
Just got the Waze app

N.A.R

Do you think apple car play will only be available on top of the line R's with DCC and Nav? Or will us base model people get this awesome feature in our 2016's? I know no one knows the real answer, but any educated guesses??

krische

vdubber in training
Do you think apple car play will only be available on top of the line R's with DCC and Nav? Or will us base model people get this awesome feature in our 2016's? I know no one knows the real answer, but any educated guesses??
Unfortunately, I could see it only being on the higher level nav unit. But, that's just a pessimistic guess.

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr
But this isn't Nav. It's just, well, whatever.