GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI malfunctions

aifer

Hi All,
This morning my wife (I am traveling) got the following malfunctions after engine start in our GTI MK7. see video attached.

http://youtu.be/cFsTkKSUZEw

Anyone experienced something like that?

Is it safe to drive to the dealer (30 min driving)?

I just don't feel like towing it when I am away to avoid towing damages.

Will appreciate any input.

Aifer

misaka

Ready to race!
Looks like there's a glitch in the ABS module. You won't have ESC, but should be drivable as long as you're not going crazy in it, or in bad weather conditions/snow/wet. A VCDS scan would help you alot.

ihmix

Ready to race!
I have seen something similar before, firstly I would remove key from ignition and leave for around 30 seconds then retry. Sometimes this can clear the problems. If not successful I would call dealer just to cover your own bum. If you decide to drive it to them it should be fine to be honest it's unlikely to be a major issue and the dealer will more than likely just clear fault codes and reboot.

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
Get it towed, let the stealer do what's his job.

Misaka, see the vid, there are lots of malfunctions. It won't help to speculate at all.

misaka

Ready to race!
Get it towed, let the stealer do what's his job.

Misaka, see the vid, there are lots of malfunctions. It won't help to speculate at all.

I did watch the video. 3 times to confirm my suspicions. That is not pure speculation. I've seen this happen before. All the errors listed are from the abs module, that's why esc is disabled, no hill hold assist, no tmps, no auto hold. And hence I recommended a vcds scan.

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
Would his wife be able to do a VCDS scan?

She probably needs the car to roll. I'd call VW, expect them to take a car
within an hour and know about the issue one more hour later. Done. Easy
and the common way.

acapvwgti

Ready to race!
Hi All,
This morning my wife (I am traveling) got the following malfunctions after engine start in our GTI MK7. see video attached.

http://youtu.be/cFsTkKSUZEw

Anyone experienced something like that?

Is it safe to drive to the dealer (30 min driving)?

I just don't feel like towing it when I am away to avoid towing damages.

Will appreciate any input.

Aifer

OP this is a very common bug that's been a pain for us in the US since launch. Plenty of posts about it. I get the ESC and TPMS light then it goes away. Dealer won't find anything cause it throws no codes.

aifer

Guys, thank you for the feed backs.

Dealer diagnosed that the battery was too low and charged it.
It may have happened due to the frequent stop/start my wife experience on her way to work - very close with lots of traffic .

Now all seems to be fine .

carlosalicea

Passed Driver's Ed
I got the same but Its been 2 days and it does not goes away. Good to know I'm not the only one. (Not that is good that happen to anyone)
My car had the ignition on for a WHILE so the theory of the battery may be correct to a certain point, but I drove the car for about an hour when it happened, then yesterday went to do errands plus a couple hard pulls.

The codes (as in the video ) are still there.

aifer

I suggest you take it to the dealer and have your battery fully recharge. Are you using he start/stop on short rides with lots of stops? That might be a reason avoiding your battery to fully charge.

carlosalicea

Passed Driver's Ed
I suggest you take it to the dealer and have your battery fully recharge. Are you using he start/stop on short rides with lots of stops? That might be a reason avoiding your battery to fully charge.

Thanks for your responce.
I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow. Also, my gti doesnt have start-stop, but still has the error.