GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2.0TFSI DSG Metallic Rustle/Rattle between 1500-3000 rpm

herbie

Ready to race!

herbie

Ready to race!
Yes, it is more prominent from a stop and it is higher pitch than the infamous mk6 waste-gate rattle. I have 1200 miles on mine. It is just more annoying than anything, on top of the other rattles my car has (dsg rattle, interior plasticky rattle, and a rattle from left-hand window)

CjHoop

Passed Driver's Ed
I think I have the same noise. I did not start hearing it until last week as I finally drove without music. I only hear the noise when in gear and between 1500 - 3000 RPM in any gear. It's not loud enough to record but once you hear it you can't stop hearing it. It is so annoying! I can't hear the noise while reving at a stand still. It sounds like a Co2 bottle being filled. It has a metalic sound. Sometimes I'm convinced it sounds like air whooshing through the vents on the middle dash. I'm trying to convince myself it's air flow from somewhere. I feel it's to small to bring to the dealer. It might even be related to the air flow the turbo makes when it starts spooling. I never owned a turbo so I don't know what to consider as normal

Last edited:

herbie

Ready to race!
Cj, I just got used to it and started ignoring it. I agree with you that it is too small of a deal to bring it up to the dealer.

The overhead cabin rattle on the other hand....

DanSandGTI1

Its the wastegate rod... I've got this sound on mine as well as the harmonic whine I posted about the other day.

This is my 4th GTI.. An mk5, two mk6's, and now the mk7. All of them had the same wastgate rod rattle so I'm used to it by now. Its only a matter of time before someone comes out with a metal clip fix like they have for the mk6. By the way the clip for the mk6 won't fit the mk7.. Someone already tried and posted on vortex.

herbie

Ready to race!
Its the wastegate rod... I've got this sound on mine as well as the harmonic whine I posted about the other day.

This is my 4th GTI.. An mk5, two mk6's, and now the mk7. All of them had the same wastgate rod rattle so I'm used to it by now. Its only a matter of time before someone comes out with a metal clip fix like they have for the mk6. By the way the clip for the mk6 won't fit the mk7.. Someone already tried and posted on vortex.

Thanks for the input. What your'e saying makes sense. I feel better knowing that it is "normal" I guess.

Johnny Blaze

Go Kart Champion

Oh funny now i remember, my mk6 had that clip done shortly after i bought, was a similar issue. I have the same issue with my mk7, that weird rattle, will mention it on the next oil change.

GoTime1

Ready to race!

THIS...

I went through the process of purchasing the mk7 14.tsi wastegate clip along with the mk6 gti clip to fit on my current gti.... NONE of them fit

VW or someone will have to make something. I know a guy that had his sorted out locally with a dealer. Will try find out more.

ps... I have this rattle too

blackcat1

Banned
I once read somewhere, maybe here, that a guy was having a rattle in a specific RPM zone too in his MK7 GTI. Turned out it was a fuel line rattling against a body panel, he fixed it by securing the fuel line. Will try and find it.