GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bluetooth signal quality - skipping music

Tucker3381

Ready to race!
So this is an odd, yet amusing issue.

I just bought a 2015 SE manual with Lighting, and loving it.
I also have a Nexus 5 as a phone.

Occasionally, pretty much every other song, the streaming music, which is saved local to my phone, starts stuttering and skipping.

Earlier in the day, I noticed it didn't happen if I had the phone in the cubbie in front of the shifter. So tonight, with the phone in my front left pocket, which is typical for me, I just placed my hand on top of it, and the sound cut out altogether. Lift my hand, music returns. I can 100% repeat it over and over. Drove my wife nuts.

Never having an issue in my 2012 GLI with streaming bluetooth, I'm curious if anyone here experienced this issue, knows a fix, or if I'm simply looking at a dealer visit for it.

Thanks!

ZrC

Ready to race!
Same issue here with an iPhone 5s. I just started dumping my phone in the cup holder now.

Tucker3381

Ready to race!
Same issue here with an iPhone 5s. I just started dumping my phone in the cup holder now.

Thanks for the update. That's the same place I've been putting mine.

I'll be making an appt soon to have the issue at least documented. I'll update accordingly.

BrianfCheng1

Ready to race!
I too have experienced the same issue. When my phone is in my back pocket while driving songs repeated skip and I end up having to put my phone in the cup holder! Little annoying, especially when in the MK6 I could be standing 30 feet from my car and audio from phone calls would play through the cabin.

onwardho

So glad you started this thread Jason - I bought a GTI S over the weekend and am experiencing the same thing.

With the iPhone (5S) in my left pant pocket, music via Bluetooth cuts out intermittently. Placing the phone in the cupholder solves the problem as you and others have noticed too.

Would be great if there was a fix as I'm the forgetful sort who would leave his phone in the car. I'm going back to the dealership soon to pick up some docs, so will mention it to them.

Tucker3381

Ready to race!
An update: I brought this up with my dealership, they blamed my Motorola 360 smartwatch. Funny, I had this watch when I had my Mk6, and no issues.

However, those of you who have the issue, do you use a case? I've been going caseless on my Nexus 5 lately (as well as Android 5.0 preview now) and just placing my hand over the phone no longer cuts the sound out. I have to press specifically over where the antenna is for it to cut out. It's an improvement, but I also feel it's unreasonable that I can't use a case on my phone if I want acceptable bluetooth signal reception.

They want my car for a couple days if the issue, without the watch, still persists. I told them it makes no sense that my watch is their diagnosis since people with iPhones have the issue as well. But I told them, I'm happy to reproduce it on every single Mk7 they have on the lot, and they can keep that for however many days they want.

TornadoRed1

I'm really happy to find a thread about this as I am experiencing the issue, even though this appears to have been discussed months ago. Has anyone had any success countering this other than placing it in the center console?
I have very few complaints about my MK7 but this one drives me crazy as my phone is always in my left pocket. I came from a 2011 Buick and it would pick up a clear bluetooth signal from 50 feet outside the car so I was pretty disappointed my MK7 can't keep a clear signal from 4 feet away sitting in the driver seat. I'd even be willing to pay money for a signal enhancer if it would eliminate the problem.

Trucc

My suggestion to all is: always priorize a wired digital connection (USB, iPhone interface, etc.) as it will ALWAYS have greater quality and stability than Bluetooth, no matter how good your BT link is.

Now every time I get into my Golf the first thing I do (after buckling up) is to connect my smartphone to the USB interface. Not only it provides the best possible sound but it will also keep my phone charged, and phone battery mgmt as everyone knows is a very serious issue today.

Mk620T

Ready to race!
Honestly, if I had a USB port of probably use it. But in the US we still get the "mdi" cable, and my car didn't even come with the right cable for my phone.

Back in my mk4 days we were able to tap into the wireless keyfob antenna wire and extend it around the roof of the car - which improved the usable distance greatly. If the Bluetooth isn't integrated into the headunit itself there's a chance this method could work.

duugalas

I have the same problem. iPhone 5s. No other Bluetooth accessory connected to the phone. I have to put my phone in the front cubby to keep music from skipping. I find it odd, since I have other bluetooth speakers & accessories that work well up to about 30 feet away.

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
Same issue, HTC m8 GPE edition. When it does it, I either move it to a new location or put my hand over it, and it stops the issue. At first I thought other cars in close proximity were causing the interference, but I am not sure.

ReflexxMK7

Ready to race!
I would like to point out that BT reception is only as good as the stack and chip in the device sending the signal. I see quite a few Apple devices and from personal experience they haven't had the best radios.

Example, I have a couple of Sony HWS-BTA2W universal receivers for streaming through my home audio receiver and a set of powered speakers. My 4th Gen iPod touch absolutely sucked with that receiver. Couldn't get more than 15 feet before I started skipping and breaking up. Once I switched to my Galaxy Note 3 and Note 4, I could go upstairs and in other rooms while continuing to stream. So it wasn't the receiver, it was the transmitter.

I suspect that is the situation here, I believe the BT receiver for the MIB is located in the glove box, maybe try putting the phone there to see if you have fewer issues.

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
I've had the same problem with a Oneplus One. No issues whatsoever on my old HTC One X+ though..

ReflexxMK7

Ready to race!
Oh yeah, forgot to mention, i'm using an unlocked Moto G 2nd Gen and have zero issues even though I have a Pebble connected 24/7. Phone pairs up, music sounds great even when i'm getting e-mail and text notifications on the device in my left pocket.

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
I too found it worse when my pebble was connected to the phone, but even disconnecting the pebble doesn't really make it acceptably good..