GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

gap insurance

Ruqy786

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi everyone,

I have ordered a Golf Match. VW have offered me £300 for gap insurance. I have found a cheaper quote for £200. Anyone know of a good gap insurer or good recommendations?

Thanks

kevinm1

Ready to race!
Check your car insurance policy. Most fully comp policies include RTI (return to invoice) for the 1st year anyway. Mine did.

Also make sure you know the difference between GAP and RTI.

ihmix

Ready to race!
Hi Kevinm whats RTI I am not sure what you mean by return to invoice???

Ruqy786

Passed Driver's Ed
Check your car insurance policy. Most fully comp policies include RTI (return to invoice) for the 1st year anyway. Mine did.

Oh ok. I will look at my insurance too as I'm also fully comp. I was going to go for RTI. As I'm also buying finance. Thanks. It's RTI for 5 years £200 from broker. So cheap :)

Soulman B

Ready to race!
Purchased Gap Insurance yesterday from Gapinsurance123, cost me £169 for 3 years and have a limit of up to £20K.

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion

RTI is a type of GAP insurance!

In my view RTI is waste of money. If you got a great discount but have to claim in two or three years time the car will cost more anyway (manufacturers price rises) and the discount may not be as good then - so even with fully comp and GAP (RTI) insurance you will still be out of pocket!

Go for a GAP (Replacement vehicle) policy as this simply pays the difference between your insurance pay-out and the cost of a matching car at the time of the claim.

And check out this thread too:

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3734&highlight=gap+insurance

Last edited:

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
Which type and for how long?

TMGould

Passed Driver's Ed
I took GAP with VW on my Match, as im insured with Admiral, and in the event of a write-off, they will only pay "Market Value" for the car, which the GAP should negate.

Nevo

Ready to race!
I took GAP with VW on my Match, as im insured with Admiral, and in the event of a write-off, they will only pay "Market Value" for the car, which the GAP should negate.

Aviva provide new for new in the first 12 months. Good reason to insure with them

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
We were offered gap insurance on our 9 month old car .. seemed a little pointless and quite expensive so we refused. The salesman recounted sorry tales of poor little old ladies who thought they'd get another new car on her insurance when it was written off while under warranty .. well no ..

kevinm1

Ready to race!

Ruqy786

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm still a bit confused. If I'm purchasing my car on finance which type of GAP Insurance would be most appropriate for me? Sorry I'm all quite new to this.

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
Go with 'New Car Replacement' GAP - costs a little bit more but its the only product that really does what GAP was invented for - puts you back in the exact same situation you were on the day you bought the car (without additional expense).