GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Gas Cap Check Engine Light

benjmiller

Hello everyone! My first post. I would love some help with this issue.

I just purchased a used 2013 GTI Wolfsburg with 7,000 miles on it (and two years remaining on the warranty) about a month ago.

Outside of this issue, I am really enjoying the car far. It is a ton of fun, and will most likely get me in trouble.

I was getting gas this morning, and when I started my car up the gas cap CEL came on.

Obviously I got out and made sure it was on really tight. Got back in the car and the light is still on.

I should note, I accidentally started fueling the car while engine was running. This was only for 20 seconds, and I turned it off while pumping gas.

I have a feeling this shouldn't have been a big deal. (but maybe it was?)

Anyway, I should also note that I did not fill the tank up all the way if that matters.

Any ideas? I'm stuck :mad:

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Car(s)
'15 LSG Golf R
It's emissions-related and due to you opening the gas cap with the engine running.

The car monitors the pressure in the gas tank to make sure volatile hydrocarbons don't escape into the atmosphere. The car even pressurizes the tank after engine start (this can sometimes be heard as a noise coming from the trunk area).

If the pressure suddenly drops while the engine is running, this is interpreted as a leak and emissions malfunction -- the car has no idea you decided not to shut off the engine while fueling.

You can clear the fault using VCDS, but I think it will eventually go away on its own if the fault condition doesn't reoccur during some number of drive cycles.

benjmiller

It's emissions-related and due to you opening the gas cap with the engine running.

The car monitors the pressure in the gas tank to make sure volatile hydrocarbons don't escape into the atmosphere. The car even pressurizes the tank after engine start (this can sometimes be heard as a noise coming from the trunk area).

This information is very insightful/valuable.

Looking back, it makes sense that filling the tank while the car was running was the issue.

I think I'll give it a few days. I'm hoping it will clear itself. If that doesn't work, and I want to clear it myself. What adapter would I need to purchase to clear it using VCDS.

New to this sort of thing. But this page is very overwhelming.

http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/interfaces.html

Thanks again. :eek:

OnePerfectDose1

Ready to race!
This information is very insightful/valuable.

Looking back, it makes sense that filling the tank while the car was running was the issue.

I think I'll give it a few days. I'm hoping it will clear itself. If that doesn't work, and I want to clear it myself. What adapter would I need to purchase to clear it using VCDS.

New to this sort of thing. But this page is very overwhelming.

http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/interfaces.html

Thanks again. :eek:

Don't worry about it, it is harmless. It will go away after driving numerous engine cycles. I've done it a few times.

If your looking for VCDS you may have a local near you that can help you out. I'd ask around first before buying.

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Car(s)
'15 LSG Golf R
You can probably also clear the code using an inexpensive OBDII diagnostic adapter, but I can't guarantee it -- VCDS will certainly do it. Check the regional forums to see if someone in your area has a cable. There are a few VCDS / VAG-Com locator services, and Cincinnati is represented.

You could try visiting a AutoZone store, they have a free fault code checking service.

101D12

My CEL came on after getting a "check fuel cover" message on the dash. I'm always double click the cap after fueling and when I mentioned it to the dealer he said that it can sometimes happen if the wire holding the cap gets stuck in the wrong place.

The CEL will go off by itself after 80 miles if there is no persisting problem. Just drive it off.

Stueck9356

Ready to race!

I thought the engine applied vacuum to the gas tank, so any leak sucks air in instead of releasing fumes out?

jmargaretis

Go Kart Champion
Could be the obvious as stated by the OP. Just saying that at 11k mine went on and the bit w/out gassing while on lol btw. Took it in and it turned out to be the purge valve, which I guess is common. Just a consideration for the future.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Also, this is the MK7 forum. If you've got a '13 Wolfsburg, you might find more help for future posts in the MK6 forum. Even though this one was answered quickly, that might not be the case for your next question.