GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Got a bad turbo? Let's track the issue...

Atty

Ready to race!
Has anyone had their turbo replacement denied because of a tune? My VW dealer is also an APR dealer, I'm going to ask them their thoughts, usually though they take care of everything in warranty on your car if they did the tune.

glenj3

Ready to race!
[/QUOTE=Atty;96186]Has anyone had their turbo replacement denied because of a tune? My VW dealer is also an APR dealer, I'm going to ask them their thoughts, usually though they take care of everything in warranty on your car if they did the tune.[/QUOTE]

One dealer told me Apr tune will shrink power train to 12k/12months. Another one I went to does uni and Apr and told me either they or unitronic requires you to sign a waiver, voiding the warranty.

RedHotVAG

Ready to race!
It should be on the first or second page of this thread...however, it seems all revisions have failed so far...

We don't yet know if newer revisions are blowing stock or with tune only. It's such a complicated problem I don't know why it hasn't been figured out yet. Is it because of surge and not the turbo itself? Is the surge caused by aftermarket downpipes? I wish we had an answer it seems like we are no further ahead than we were 6 months ago.

nmarz77

Ready to race!
Has anyone had their turbo replacement denied because of a tune? My VW dealer is also an APR dealer, I'm going to ask them their thoughts, usually though they take care of everything in warranty on your car if they did the tune.
My dealership is also an apr dealer. When I asked about warranty they said not to worry and that they had ways around it. I guess each dealer is different. When I worked as a tech at a very large Porsche dealership we used to take care of our own as well.

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
We don't yet know if newer revisions are blowing stock or with tune only. It's such a complicated problem I don't know why it hasn't been figured out yet. Is it because of surge and not the turbo itself? Is the surge caused by aftermarket downpipes? I wish we had an answer it seems like we are no further ahead than we were 6 months ago.

In my experience the surge is cause by rapid boost increase at low rpm. Its easier to replicate by loading the car in a high gear at low rpm. I have logged waist gate position and voltage and its remains constant so its not the waist gate making the noise. On the Vargas test turbo we have which has a bigger compressor wheel there is no noise.
I also witnessed the car made the surge noise on spool up using the stock file with full bolt on mods but in the midrange.
This fluttering or surge may be the cause of the thrust bearing prematurely wearing.

PatrickVas

Ready to race!
Interesting. This month made 6 months that we first found out about this turbo failure stuff in the states, and VW is still pretty quiet about it with no new revisions since. I really wonder what's going on and what's ahead of us. Hey at the time I thought the cam follower issues with the MK5 were annoying, now I'd kill for only minor issues like that lol.

PatrickVas

Ready to race!
I've just had my turbo replaced and i believe it is a revision 8 "G" i have just had the APR tun put back on but i went for the low output option after the drama of blowing my turbo.

Any way you could double check and confirm that it is a Revision G?

(Even the paperwork they gave you when you picked up the car will show a part number for the turbo)

Last edited:

8kGoodEnuff

Ready to race!
Has anyone done a complete aftermarket turbo replacement versus going to VW for another turbo that will probably fail again?

I'm completely new to the VW world but from the bits that I gather here and there, it seems the 'K04' turbo is usually the preferred step for upgrade. Possible with the new Mk7?

Thank You.

blueste

Ready to race!
My dealership is also an apr dealer. When I asked about warranty they said not to worry and that they had ways around it. I guess each dealer is different. When I worked as a tech at a very large Porsche dealership we used to take care of our own as well.

So jealous, I wish I had dual VW/APR near me!

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
Has anyone done a complete aftermarket turbo replacement versus going to VW for another turbo that will probably fail again?

I'm completely new to the VW world but from the bits that I gather here and there, it seems the 'K04' turbo is usually the preferred step for upgrade. Possible with the new Mk7?

Thank You.

The R turbos are more prone to breaking when tuned vs the GTI. We have a R turbo on a car that's covered 19,000km that has a different compressor wheel. The car has no turbo surge noise (flutter) on spool up albeit it has a bit more lag, we check for shaft play on a regular basis and its seems to be doing the trick so a possible option will be turbos with wheels that are better matched for the fast spool up characteristic of the car.