GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

So the turbo's are already blowing on R's?

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
OMG, don't buy one!

iAmLodi

Ready to race!
Crap. He claims three more R's on a German R forum also had blown turbos all of which caused damaged motors requiring full replacement!! Not good news. I'll def be keeping my eyes & ears open for the next while...

Not sure if the other cars were modified at all, but his was bone stock other than wheels and brakes. That's got me shitting my pants because I definitely enjoy tracking my cars... .. .

iAmLodi

Ready to race!
Anyone know what the issue was?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't remember the specifics, but something to do with a certain part within the turbo's internals breaking loose causing turbo failure, and in some cases, parts entering motor causing full engine failure.

I am glad it's all been sorted out though if that truly is the case.

Last edited:

Maximum6

FASTER
Just saying...

wasn't there a guy with an R who's wheel was blown apart from normal driving?

What's up with VW destroying themselves now?

Max Schnell

Ready to race!
Just saying...

wasn't there a guy with an R who's wheel was blown apart from normal driving?

What's up with VW destroying themselves now?

IIRC it was due to a bad batch of turbos, which VW seem to be actively replacing on all cars that had them whether they have blown or not.

I wouldn't exactly call this a case of 'VW destroying themselves' :rolleyes:

The guy with the destroyed wheel seems to be an isolated case, and maybe another one of these "I was just driving along when......." ;)

GGray

Ready to race!

kyoo

Go Kart Newbie
obviously this is not as much of a joke now as some of you tried to play it down as

cyb3rdud3

Ready to race!
Definitely not a joke when it happens, to put it in perspective by Q2 730 DSG Golf R's were registered in the UK and a further 484 Manual Golf R's. So 1,214 registered on the road vehicles. Incidentally more than the cumulative total between 2009-2013 before that.

On the most popular forum in the UK I'm only aware of 2 confirmed cases. Don't get me wrong it is 2 cases too many. I would have expected though that for anyone this happened to they would go out to the internet and write about their shiny new car being broken already. But even when doubled, then in the UK that would run to a failure rate of 0.3%.

Let keep that in mind as well. It would be interesting to see what other big markets like Germany, South-Africa and Australia have a data to back this up.

kyoo

Go Kart Newbie
Definitely not a joke when it happens, to put it in perspective by Q2 730 DSG Golf R's were registered in the UK and a further 484 Manual Golf R's. So 1,214 registered on the road vehicles. Incidentally more than the cumulative total between 2009-2013 before that.

On the most popular forum in the UK I'm only aware of 2 confirmed cases. Don't get me wrong it is 2 cases too many. I would have expected though that for anyone this happened to they would go out to the internet and write about their shiny new car being broken already. But even when doubled, then in the UK that would run to a failure rate of 0.3%.

Let keep that in mind as well. It would be interesting to see what other big markets like Germany, South-Africa and Australia have a data to back this up.

this is much better than the GTI's failure rate. I wonder what the difference is, VW has been revising the R's turbo as well

mrlapou

Ready to race!
Well saving grace, for the moment, everyone covered by VW warranty...
Hoping in 2.75 yrs it'll have been resolved before cover expires on the car.