GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Steering Wheel Re-Trim Service

Jack Straw

Ready to race!
I just received and installed a nicely remodeled wheel for my Golf R. The company is Royal Steering Wheels in England. I opted for a slightly thicker rim with the perforated leather at the grip positions. They offer different stitching colors and contrasting center stripes but I wanted to keep a mostly OEM look on my car.

I shopped the usual 2 or 3 U.S. vendors but their prices and length of turnaround were discouraging. The wheel pictured cost less than half of any U.S. shops and from the time of payment to delivery was just 2 weeks.

I swapped out the wheel myself and have to say that this thing feels GREAT. The workmanship is perfect and the leathers appear to be a superior quality to OEM.....smells good too.

The company representative I dealt with was Jack. He was immediately responsive to all my questions and arranged a simple exchange so I had no downtime while waiting for the wheel.

If you're looking for a wheel but don't want to spend $750 to 1000 bucks check these folks out;

http://royalsteeringwheels.com/

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
That looks fantastic!

Jack Straw

Ready to race!
Sandman,
My wheel ended up costing about $350 USD. Because I used the exchange option I had to make a refundable deposit of around $140 at the time of the original order.
The return shipping of the core is on the customers dime. For me the shipping fee on the return brought the cost up to the quoted $350.

eurospek

Just finished watching Fast&Fu
That looks impressive for the price. I want to do a CS replica wheel but thicker.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
o
That looks impressive for the price. I want to do a CS replica wheel but thicker.

OP,
You stated a slightly thicker rim. Was this all the way around.
Hard to judge in your pics if thicker but if entire wheel increased then it would be proportional and hard to tell. Eurospek, you can get all or part Alcantara. Not sure about red stripe. I am sure for money this is possible from work shown.

I like the bulk and look of the CF wheels but this is nice.
Have heard Alcantara does not last as well but then others say it is OK.
I guess depends on user and if you eat chicken and drive.

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
I really like your wheel. I'm sending them a email asking for a quote. Do you think they'll let me keep my OEM wheel for a bit extra?

Almost pulled the trigger on a TAW Chicago wheel a few weeks ago as they're not crazy expensive like Bak.

Also is the trim pieces around the wheel expensive? i know the airbag is but would make the swap easier i just buy the trim on e-acca. Anyone know part numbers?

SLI

Why not get a used R wheel to use as a core exchange.

I really like your wheel. I'm sending them a email asking for a quote. Do you think they'll let me keep my OEM wheel for a bit extra?

Almost pulled the trigger on a TAW Chicago wheel a few weeks ago as they're not crazy expensive like Bak.

Also is the trim pieces around the wheel expensive? i know the airbag is but would make the swap easier i just buy the trim on e-acca. Anyone know part numbers?

njswider

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
Really impressed with how it came out! I really loved the MK6 wheel. Thicker wrap would be a huge plus, thanks for sharing. Probably gonna get this done now haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
Why not get a used R wheel to use as a core exchange.

I'd love it if i could find a used R wheel for $140 USD lol. Throw in the $50 shipping charge and it's easier to just pay a bit more and not have to bother shipping something back.

Especially if i sell/trade the car i'm sure i could get a good chunk of my money back selling it as VW Golf people are crazy like me hahaha.

I'm also talking to TAW Chicago but they're still like $700 USD for all leather (with no core return).

njswider

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
So I reached out to these guys for a quote and it was 170GBP shipped but they don’t have enough R wheels in stock to do the exchange option. Best they can do is make my new wheel and send it as soon as they get mine. I believe I am talking to the same Jack as OP. Since this is my only car I obviously can’t do that so I am waiting to hear back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
Pretty annoying talking to them.. I've been trying to get a quote and i'll ask him like simple 3 questions and he'll reply with 1 sentence littered with spelling/grammar mistakes and answering none of my questions. I think im gonna stick with TAW Chicago unless he gets back to me, but appreciate the option OP. The wheel looks great.

They're $200 USD less, but i can already see why people have problems with their customer support or dealing with them after the fact.