GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

REMOVING HARD WATER SPOTS ON CARBON STEEL GREY

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Hey all,

I have a CSG GTI that got blasted with sprinkler water a couple of nights a week for months.
I finally had the HOA adjust the sprinkler but it has left some hard water spots.

I finally took the car in to get it waxed and clayed and was hoping that would help but I'm not sure that it did. (Maybe a little, but still definitely there.)

Anyone have any experience trying to get old sprinkler water spots off?

Is there any sort of compound that could be used to buff out?

c72k

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
BMW
Yes! You could start with a more aggressive clay bar and try that out, however, you may need to move up to a foam pad on a DA polisher with a light polishing compound (I use Meguiar's 205). If that doesn't work, you could use the DA with a micro cutting pad an Meguiars 105, but always start with the least aggressive method.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
Yes! You could start with a more aggressive clay bar and try that out, however, you may need to move up to a foam pad on a DA polisher with a light polishing compound (I use Meguiar's 205). If that doesn't work, you could use the DA with a micro cutting pad an Meguiars 105, but always start with the least aggressive method.

Good info!
I will look into that, thank you!

Is there any sort of compound that could be used to buff out?
You guess it - WATER. ;)

I'd just use a damped cloth with distilled water. Calcium is soluble in pure water.
That's why you have it on your paint. Same chemical principle, just reverse.

soto

Passed Driver's Ed
You guess it - WATER. ;)

I'd just use a damped cloth with distilled water. Calcium is soluble in pure water.

Fighting water with water :D

c72k

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
BMW
You guess it - WATER. ;)

If they’re etched, this won’t work. At minimum, try vinegar and distilled water. 1:1

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
We have VERY hard water here and unless you dry it quickly then it will spot and you will have to rinse it again. It will not etch into the topcoat but it is a mineral when dried onto it, so needs to be drenched in water for a while to soften it to remove it completely. Trying to rub it or polish it off will damage the top coat so you need to be patient.

codered911

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK8
I hate the hard water here in Florida... From the garden hose it isn't bad, but these damn sprinklers have me weaving around. I would try another clay bar and see what happens. Keep us posted!

IBFreeman

Ready to race!
Yup for $10 definitely going to have to try that.
Thanks!

Great signature BTW hah!

Just get the big bottle. I did. I spray my whole car down sometimes when washing it, agitate, then rinse again.

It will work. I swear by this stuff because I HATE water spots.

And thanks! :p

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
So wash car, apply water spot remover and buff out, then rinse again?

Made the mistake of thinking I could beat the rising morning sun while washing my car. I've had water spots baked in for a while now. Hope this stuff can help.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
If they are truly etched, abrasion is the only way. A finishing pad or better yet an application pad(usually blue or red in color depending on brand) with your favorite light polish or maybe even an AIO product.

Myself, if I had this issue, would use a CG blue Hexlogic pad with CarPro essence for starters. Only after a proper clay pad and a WW mixed with distilled water was tried first. I have spots in my coating(lets not go there) and after winter I am going to have to get a machine involved to remove them. Not happy about it at all but nothing will get them off as they are in the lite coating layer. Ah well, daily drivers take daily beatings.

Good luck!

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
Yup for $10 definitely going to have to try that.
Thanks!

Great signature BTW hah!
Dilute it 50/50 with distilled water it is easier to work with and less slimy. Straight up Spotless is a bit on the thick side for my liking. Also, may want to take a shampoo and wash the panels again after using Spotless.