GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Zmax no prep test n tune

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Finally got to run the 1/4 in my mk7, but I wasn't the only one! About a dozen Volkswagen showed up. I personally don't have any videos to post, maybe someone else has some to add

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I'll post a pic later but my best pass was an un impressive 13.50 ET @ 109mph, the culprit being a 2.3 second 60ft time. But I guess on a un prepped track you'll have that. I still had tons of fun and made 15+ passes.

I also suspect heat soak was an issue since my first pass was the fastest. Even with a few long hood up cool down periods the stock IC was showing its weakness

Last edited:

spaghetti118

Grats on the runs

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Kinda disappointed it ran slower than my old mk6 did (13.3 @107.5) but the 60ft time is what's holding it back. The mph is there to get into the 12s, maybe by next season I'll do a few more things and run what it should.

For reference there was a is38 gti there APR tuned with meth controlled via JB4. He ran 13.6 at 115 mph

A stage 1 R went 12.4 at 111mph

Fastest gti of the night went 13.2 @111mph FBO is20

RedShft

Passed Driver's Ed
It was great meeting you Jake! I'll get my GoPro vids up ASAP (hopefully tmw). Haven't seen the footage yet though, just framed it blindly. Curious to see how we were doing for the first 1/8 mile. We certainly had some great runs. Definitely agree that both our cars are good for 12s. Considering the cool temps and mild humidity, I was expecting to run low 13s or better. But to run 109-110 mph in mid-high 13s with crappy 2.3-2.4 60' proves these Stage 1 cars are beasts!

Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Nice to meet you too man, it'll be cool to see the back and fourth throughout each run! For anyone who wasn't there I'm 6MT and Redshift is DSG. He beat me by about a fender on our closest run. Had a ton of fun, it's really rare to be so evenly matched.

MadMen

Ready to race!
15 runs at zMax? That's amazing. The last time I went there (years ago), we were lucky to get 2 runs in. Wish I tried harder to get there.

Mooresville Dragway is a great track to tune on too. Only 1/8th mile, but great for working out the 60', which is where the race is won anyway.

N2fastcars

Ready to race!
Nice to meet you too man, it'll be cool to see the back and fourth throughout each run! For anyone who wasn't there I'm 6MT and Redshift is DSG. He beat me by about a fender on our closest run. Had a ton of fun, it's really rare to be so evenly matched.

Back in the day my friend had a very similarly modded Gt mustang and the cars were so close, it came down to reaction time and 60'. It was never more than a fender length and it was so much fun being that close!

Sounds like you guys had a blast! I haven't been in the last year and I really miss going... having a 5 year old and a 10 month old really nuke any and all free time I once had! Lol

N2fastcars

Ready to race!
I doubt I'll ever run 1/8 mile, fwd on street tires my only advantage is the back half

We have a 1/8 mile track an hour away and I won't run the GTI there, I really don't see the point honestly. Third and fourth is where the car really starts pulling

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Back in the day my friend had a very similarly modded Gt mustang and the cars were so close, it came down to reaction time and 60'. It was never more than a fender length and it was so much fun being that close!

Sounds like you guys had a blast! I haven't been in the last year and I really miss going... having a 5 year old and a 10 month old really nuke any and all free time I once had! Lol

Ik the feeling I have a three year old and another due in December. I hadn't run since before my son was born prior to my two trips to Zmax (one for roll racing and one for drag) since 2013.

I used to run a Roush Mustang, my BT cummins, and mk6 gti regularly over the previous 6-7 years

We have a 1/8 mile track an hour away and I won't run the GTI there, I really don't see the point honestly. Third and fourth is where the car really starts pulling

Yeah boost by gear and traction issues kill any potential fun in the first 1/8.

Cutting a good light and nailing a solid 2.0 60ft is still important if you wanna run good times, but a cool night with no prep made that impossible for fwd

Zx2man

Ready to race!
Dont beat yourself up too bad. With fwd cars on street tires I always pay more attention to the trap vs the time. You know your car is faster than your mk6, and its capable of 12s. Your trap proved that.
You will get better times in the future, obviously this isnt your first rodeo. Good job!

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Thanks man ha, if my wife knew the future mod list for my car she'd crush it now. But being a dad/homeowner/"adult" lol I'm taking my sweet time. My mk7 will most likely be the last new Volkswagen I buy (there's always room for just one more Mk1, right?) so over the next 5 years it'll slowly transform from daily driver to FBO is38 or hybrid is20 track prepped weekend toy. Eventually it'll spend its weekends at HPDE, auto x, the 1/4 but it's got 200,000+ Miles or more of commuter car duty before it gets a fresh rebuild and a second life as a race car

I've owned 16 VW to this point at 26 years old, so I decided this is the one I'll keep (finally)

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
So have I, but with traction being the big issue I wasn't that worried about heat soak.

I along with the other dozen Volkswagen went to the track for fun. I'm kinda confused by that question lol