GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Performance Pack LSD vs. Wavetrac - Direct Comparison & Great Writeup

Hotfart

Ready to race!
I wish I could say that I felt the same after I had my Wavetrac installed. I went to a new track this weekend, so I don't have a good before and after comparison, but frankly, I can't say I felt anything significantly different. I had the ESC on and did notice the light flash once. I never felt the ESC working, so I assume it wasn't particularly active. There wasn't any wheel spinning, but the car still understeers under power, even with all my other suspension mods. I was hoping the LSD would reduce that tendency. Can't honestly say that it did.

This might be a shot in the dark, but have you played around with the XDS settings (or tried disabling it) to see how it feels? Maybe it's freaking out thinking there's still an open diff in there. I've heard others say they set it to 'weak' after installing a wavetrack or similar.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
I wish I could say that I felt the same after I had my Wavetrac installed. I went to a new track this weekend, so I don't have a good before and after comparison, but frankly, I can't say I felt anything significantly different. I had the ESC on and did notice the light flash once. I never felt the ESC working, so I assume it wasn't particularly active. There wasn't any wheel spinning, but the car still understeers under power, even with all my other suspension mods. I was hoping the LSD would reduce that tendency. Can't honestly say that it did.

Something must be wrong here. I'm sorry but there is no way you can't feel it. You came from a non-PP, so no LSD beforehand? It's easy to feel the first time you pull out of a driveway or take an on-ramp to a highway after having it installed, let alone feeling it pulling you out of corners on the track. Not trying to attack you here, I'm just sayin!

ESC needs to be off also, at least for track use. Any time the wheels slip at all with ESC on, power will be cut to the drivetrain. This includes times you don't actually feel the wheels slip (since the slightest detection will cut the power in an attempt to prevent the wheels from slipping). ESC Sport fares better, but not as well as ESC off completely.

Lastly, an upgraded rear sway bar such as the 034 will help the most with understeer. Judging by your sig, looks like you have everything but that, which makes the biggest difference on the car, suspension-wise!

Last edited:

B95zP

Ready to race!
Lastly, an upgraded rear sway bar such as the 034 will help the most with understeer. Judging by your sig, looks like you have everything but that, which makes the biggest difference on the car, suspension-wise!

nah he has Eurocode front and rear sways. Perhaps it's that beefy, at nearly 29mm, front sway?

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
nah he has Eurocode front and rear sways. Perhaps it's that beefy, at nearly 29mm, front sway?

Ah yes, I see that now, you're right. I thought it was crazy to have all of those suspension mods and no RSB upgrade :rolleyes:

Possible that's the case, I have read that stiffening the FSB does have a negative effect in regards to understeer. I know this is specifically why 034 decided to make their RSB to be used with the stock FSB, and I think it feels amazing.

I wish I could say that I felt the same after I had my Wavetrac installed. I went to a new track this weekend, so I don't have a good before and after comparison, but frankly, I can't say I felt anything significantly different.....
There wasn't any wheel spinning, but the car still understeers under power, even with all my other suspension mods.
What are your current camber and toe settings? What tire pressures did you run? :confused:

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
What are your current camber and toe settings? What tire pressures did you run? :confused:

-2 front, -1.3 rear camber
0 toe in front and back
34psi cold front and back

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
I have read that stiffening the FSB does have a negative effect in regards to understeer. I know this is specifically why 034 decided to make their RSB to be used with the stock FSB, and I think it feels amazing.

FSB certainly effects understeer. It's a trade off with trying to limit roll. I could either soften the front or stiffen the rear to move more roll stiffness to the back, thus increasing oversteer.

jmason

Go Kart Newbie

nal

Ready to race!
I am on wavetrac LSD.for the full effects of the wavetrac to be felt traction control must be switched off then the car transforms to be sprightly.With traction control on the effects are subdued although cornering limits are higher as steering correction on undulating roads become less

-2 front, -1.3 rear camber
0 toe in front and back
34psi cold front and back
thanks

With this camber the car should actually feel pretty neutral. I'd try 30 psi on front
and 40 psi on rear or something like that (warm). This is done in just two minutes.
Hopefully this increases grip on front and induces some slip on rear.

Personally I prefer some toe in both front and rear but that's a matter of taste to
some degree and I'd definitely try tire pressures first.

Last, not least, altering hydraulic brake assist + ESC off via VCDS both are MUST
DO mods before you enter a track!

Not feeling attacked. Probably driver fail!
Most popular fail. :D Do you know about dynamic weight transfer? :confused: