GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf mk7 GT Tyre option

Ian91

Ready to race!
Thinking of changing the option on wheels from standard Dijon 17" 225/45 R17 to Singapore 17" 225/45 R17 wheels, does anyone know if these are low profile tyres ie will it affect the suspension which as standard on the GT is quite firm?

vwman

Go Kart Champion
Thinking of changing the option on wheels from standard Dijon 17" 225/45 R17 to Singapore 17" 225/45 R17 wheels, does anyone know if these are low profile tyres ie will it affect the suspension which as standard on the GT is quite firm?

The Singapore option would give you the same ride as the standard Dijon i.e. both 17"x7" wheels with same profile of tyre 225/45.
Just different styling of the wheel itself.

Ian91

Ready to race!
Thanks, had a quick look today at the standard GT wheels and they have low profile tyres as you mentioned would this would be the same on the Singapore 17".
Hoping someone will post a reply who has DCC chassis control on their GT to see if this makes a difference in ride quality in comfort mode.

GC854

Ready to race!
Check out the new thread by Ian91. It discusses the pros and cons of DCC

JCJ

Ready to race!
I have Singapore Alloys on my GT and I am really pleased. The general ride of the GT is firmer then SE.

2014-03-01 12.26.48.jpg

Singapore Alloys.jpg

JohnV1

Ready to race!
I've got GT with 17" Singapores and Adaptive Chassis Control (DCC). Although the standard GT suspension is lowered by 10mm, you can effectively override the firmer ride by selecting normal or comfort.

Comfort in particular is quite soft and squishy, i.e. ideal for long commutes/journeys. My back has never felt better since I'd part-ex'd my old GT on standard springs/shocks with 18's.

burso

Ready to race!
The general ride of the GT is firmer then SE.

It definitely is as standard GT in comparison to standard SE has a 10mm lowered suspension and bigger wheels.
I've got 17" Madrid wheels (which come with 10mm lowered suspension) on my SE and don't find it too firm. It is more comfortable on 16" though, but not as nice. It's a price I'am willing to pay :D

Gignomeus

Ready to race!
My back has never felt better since I'd part-ex'd my old GT on standard springs/shocks with 18's.

Yep, I concur!

I've got a Mk7 GTD riding on standard issue springs with 18s. I believe the ride height might be even lower than the Mk7 GT.

But, even with this setup its still a lot more of a forgiving ride than my Mk6 GT on 18s!

SKT441

Passed Driver's Ed
I have now covered 2500 miles with my 2.0TDI GT on standard 17 inch wheels. I am still experimenting to get the ideal tyre pressures. My first impressions are the ride can be a bit too hard on B roads, so I would not want any larger wheels. I would say compared with my mark 6 on 16 inch wheels the car is more responsive at higher speeds. The DCC could be the solution, this was over my budget so I will keep the tyre pressure gauge to hand.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
I have now covered 2500 miles with my 2.0TDI GT on standard 17 inch wheels. I am still experimenting to get the ideal tyre pressures. My first impressions are the ride can be a bit too hard on B roads, so I would not want any larger wheels. I would say compared with my mark 6 on 16 inch wheels the car is more responsive at higher speeds. The DCC could be the solution, this was over my budget so I will keep the tyre pressure gauge to hand.

What tyres do you have, how does the pressures you're experimenting with differer/vary from those recommended by VW and the tyre manufacturer?

Merely a hypothetical question, but it's something which would worry me ... ... ...

Purely a personal opinion, but could you be risking your insurance cover and/or warranty if you deliberately deviate from recommended tyre pressure settings?

SKT441

Passed Driver's Ed
I have kept to within the VW recommended pressures allowing for the differing loads. The car is normally used to cover long distances with just me on board. However from previous experience pressures change as the ambient temperature changes so they need to be checked regularly. The car is fitted with P600's which previously I have found very good