GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1.6 TDI Mpg

Cannondale

Just though it would be worth comparing 1.6TDI mpg as there is another tread running on the 2.0.

When I first got my 1.6Tdi I was disappointed with the MPG it would just average 50 MPG. this has got better as the miles have gone on.

My car now has 6000 miles on it.

The last 2000 miles are now showing an Ave of 67 MPG.

On a run I can get well into the high 70,s it I drive steady.

I use cruise most of the time as well so these figures could be improved on.

Rich...

jp_cfc09

Ready to race!
Thanks for the info, just got my 1.6 few days ago and hopeing for good mpg. Only 150 mile on it so cant comment yet, anythings better then my 09 astra lol. Average was 28 mpg, auto you see but still think thats a joke for a 09 car. Vxr couldnt be any worst then that lol, mines was a 1.8 vvti just no turbo.

Pops anime

pleased to see that fuel consumption improves with milage, picked mine up a couple of days ago so the engine's still a bit tight as its only done 400+ miles currently averaging mid 50's

iPope

Passed Driver's Ed
4000 miles in mine (3 dr 1.6) and commuting I daily get 60 plus to and from work. On a long run it is normally 70 - 75. I've had it upto 81 at one point crazily.

I am finding it far more economical than my 2006 Focus 2.0 Tdci.

jp_cfc09

Ready to race!
Update since I hadnt done many miles when I 1st posted, my mpg is great. I done average 60mpg town driving, bit lower if busy traffic (bumper to bumper alot, closer to early-mid 50's). Took a nice drive yesterday which was 100 miles mostly on A roads and got touching near 70 mpg. Gonna take a long drive in a few weeks here that will be mostly motorway all the way and should get up to 80 or close hopefully.

Long term mpg is mid 50's but thats as most of my driving would be town.

westend_jon

Early MPG

I've had my 1.6 manual for a week. I drove from Halifax to Harrogate yesterday evening via the A1M and recorded 67 MPG and this morning drove from Harrogate to Halifax via Leeds and got 66 MPG. Both journeys had a mixture of lanes, motorways and stop/start driving but no major holdups. i'm pretty impressed although I was in Eco and keeping speed down to limits.

Previous car was an Audi A4 2.0 which had long term average of 51MPG. Car before that was Honda CRV Auto petrol which did 25MPG on the one occasion I checked - after that it was too depressing.

andy845

Just thought I'd contribute here as an example of what is possible. I've now done approx 11.5k miles and have a record of all the fuel I've put in and miles covered, my average since day one has been 14miles/litre or approx 64MPG UK and 53 MPG US. However lately I've been averaging in the 70's, mix of A road driving and around town. What I've learn't is that the car is extremely sensitive and it's very easy to get rubbish mileage (high 50mpg UK) if you are not careful. If you take care though, 90+UKMPG is possible, see the screenshot below as an example. This was my daily commute to work in kind traffic conditions. Hope thats helpful for potential 1.6D owners.

Anayat

Ready to race!
:O I've just taken delivery of mine and I understand the MPG figures will be lower until the engine beds in, but I'm getting 25-31MPG, I do mostly city driving but even so I find that very very low.

tom1

Ready to race!
Take it for a nice 25+ mile trip, sounds like its warming up to do a dpf cycle, I remember when I first had my car I come home and turned off the car in mid cycle and the fan kept spinning while the car was off for some time. After that MPG shot right up

stevep1041

Camshaft sensors?

My 1.6tdi had its first service today at 9298 miles. I asked the dealer to check out what I think is poor urban MPG of around 45. Bearing in mind mine is a driving school car I thought it a bit cheeky of me! I have had 65 to 70 mpg on longer runs. The Dealer told me that there is a bulletin out on my car requiring 2 camshaft sensors to be replaced. The parts are on back order.

Could this affect town figures, and if so is it common? My car was picked up by me on 14th April.