GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Android Head Unit - PX5 MTCD unit

NellyGTI

Ready to race!
I posted in the "What did you do..." thread and wanted to set this up to field questions, install tips and pictures.

Note to contributors and readers:
I would consider these type of units to be BETA... They have their bugs and issues, you may have to reboot it ever so often, upgrade firmware and/or software, deal with work-arounds, restore to factory defaults, etc... If you are faint of heart or easily upset by software/electronics, you may want to see what VW comes out with next.

I'm not 100% complete with my install but I'm very happy with it so far.

Purchased Unit (I bought this on Ebay directly from Hot-Audio (Dasaita):
Dasaita 10.2" Android 6.0 Car GPS player for vw golf 7 2013 with Octa Core 2GB no dvd multimedia Navigation Radio head unit

Why this unit:
  • Speed/Memory: The 8 core, 2GB of ram appears to be the latest and shows little sign of the dreaded slowing down over time.
  • Brand: Dasaita (aka Hot Audio) appears to be well-known and support is decent. (I've had a few support questions that they answered within a day or two.)

Additional cables purchased:
  • Factory GPS Converter (FAKRA to SMA) - To use the built in GPS instead
  • SMA 12" extension (Not RP-SMA, I made the mistake)
  • Dual Amplified antenna adapter

More to come...

Last edited:

NellyGTI

Ready to race!
Installation (so far):

Video that I used to assist the install - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w50OlGam548

In the above video, pay most attention to:
  • Removal of the screen and unit (from glove box)
  • PLEASE DON'T CUT ANYTHING, YOU DON"T NEED TO CUT!!!
  • Dismantle and transfer of wire harness from glove box to center console

Connections:
  • Wiring mess behind the radio
  • What's left in the glove box

Still to do (for me):
  • Attach factory GPS, I'm currently using the included GPS module stuck to my steering column - DONE
  • Find the proper location for the blue antenna amplifier wire (needs ACC/switched power) - DONE
  • Properly connect the USB port in the center console... I believe you connect it to the Tan color connection, not Pink as some wire diagrams show
  • Run JB4 USB connection through firewall to one of the USB ports - DONE

Last edited:

NellyGTI

Ready to race!
Known Issues:

• Sometimes it takes a bit of time to connect to the phone's hotspot. This typically occurs if I don't turn on the hotspot before the radio turns on.
  • Mode button: Pressing it will show on the MFD the current mode, but won't allow me to change it with additional presses. Need to go in the Car Configuration App to change mode. UPDATE: Currently working with 'engineering' to hopefully resolve this issue.
  • Car-Net no longer can tell you where your vehicle is. Everything else appears to function except location. UPDATE: Car-Net has stopped working completely.
  • Compass display in the MFD no longer works.
  • Streaming audio via Bluetooth is horrible. (calls sound OK).

PROs:

• 10.2" touch screen!!!
  • Fast and responsive
  • Works with factory steering wheel controls and MFD
  • Wow factor
  • Waze on the big screen

• JB4 Mobile via USB connection (low latency vs bluetooth).

CONs:

• Known issues listed above.
  • No Sirius XM *However, you can use the mobile app instead.
  • I do miss having a volume knob.
  • Would have preferred the GTI looking dash trim over the gloss black, however it doesn't look bad.

Last edited:

NellyGTI

Ready to race!
Tips and Tricks:
  • Coming soon...

Resources:

Last edited:

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
I looked at the spec sheet on this thing, and it has an impressively long list of features. My main concern would be build quality & longevity - repeated bloopers in the specs ("Blueteeth"!) serve as a reminder that this is NOT a large, mainstream company producing this unit. Mismatched trim and the lack of any knobs whatsoever would make it a no-go for me. But there's a ton to like there - Waze & Google Maps on a big screen (especially for anyone coming from MIB1) etc. Keep us posted on how it serves you long-term. Good luck!

NellyGTI

Ready to race!
I looked at the spec sheet on this thing, and it has an impressively long list of features. My main concern would be build quality & longevity - repeated bloopers in the specs ("Blueteeth"!) serve as a reminder that this is NOT a large, mainstream company producing this unit. Mismatched trim and the lack of any knobs whatsoever would make it a no-go for me. But there's a ton to like there - Waze & Google Maps on a big screen (especially for anyone coming from MIB1) etc. Keep us posted on how it serves you long-term. Good luck!

I completely agree... I actually just added the following statement to the first post, which I believe sums these units up pretty well...

Note to contributors and readers:
I would consider these type of units to be BETA... They have their bugs and issues, you may have to reboot it ever so often, upgrade firmware and/or software, deal with work-arounds, restore to factory defaults, etc... If you are faint of heart or easily upset by software/electronics, you may want to see what VW comes out with next.

NellyGTI

Ready to race!
What about voice commands button from the steering wheel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right now it operates as a mute button. Never use Voice commands but I can see if it can be re-interpretted. Most likely it would link to Google voice commands if possible.

NellyGTI

Ready to race!
Update: I've confirmed that you can use the factory GPS antenna with the adapter I listed above. Works perfectly!

Note, that even if you don't have navigation, you still have a GPS antenna for Car-Net.

joluga123

Passed Driver's Ed
Thank you for all your work, where is the GPS antenna for car-net? Does it connect to the factory unit?
Most definitely getting one of this units.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NellyGTI

Ready to race!
Yep, connects to the factory unit (blue connector). I will make up a wiring diagram to help with connections. There are a lot more wires then there used to be in these cars!

Looks like some people over on XDA are close to getting “OK Google” running smoothly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

takemorepills

Ready to race!
How do you adjust the audio (low, mid, treble, woofer, balance, fader, loudness, SSV, etc) in this unit?

I use an Android for audio on my boat, but the apps I have tried for EQ suck, and I am curious about the DSP or lack of?