GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Modern Auto Performance Stage 1 Tune Review

wordsthatiwrote

Ready to race!
https://www.maperformance.com/produ...ti-mk7-usdm-map-vwmk7-ots?variant=37114055043

Above is the off the shelf (OTS) tune I purchased, 93 octane.

I was in the process of comparing the offerings on the market. Mainly Unitronic (since I have a dealer close), APR, and more recently COBB. I opted for the COBB Access Port because of its ability to easily apply maps as well as data monitoring/logging. However, I was not pleased with their claims on the gains from their tunes. But I bit because I found out that I was able to get other OTS maps and have e-tunes done. Which allows for greater flexibility with current and future modifications.

Prior to running the above map, I was running COBB Stage 1+ with AEM Intake. This particular map would OFTEN pull timing -3 degrees. I have seen it pull as hard as -7. I got nervous about this causing my engine to erupt with excitement that I tuned down to the COBB stage 1 91 octane. This improved the knock retard but it was still occurring.

After a few weeks of running the COBB I planned on looking for an alternate map and found maperformance on this forum. I spoke with Ian and learned that they sell the COBB AccessPort and at the time they actually put their maps on the COBB if you buy the AccessPort from them. Well I purchased my CAP from a local dealer but Ian states that they do sell their maps as well. I figured for the cost, $75 at the time of purchase, it couldn't hurt to see what their map can do for me.

To make a long story longer, I chose maperformance because of their claims on HP as well as I didn't know what else was out there. At any rate I purchased the tune from them after work on a Friday. I got an email from them notifying me of the purchase but it was unfulfilled. I did some poking around and found that they operate mon-fri. I was disappointed that I wasn't going to be able to apply the map over the weekend. Monday rolls around and I got an email extremely early in the AM asking for some details about my vehicle. Year, Transmission, octane, serial for CAP. I supplied the information a bit later and a few hours after I received the tune via e-mail. In anticipation of receiving the tune I brought my CAP to work and installed the appropriate management software, Downloaded the tune, and applied it to my CAP. After work I applied the tune just before heading home.

I started the car after applying the tune per COBBs instructions. Gave it a few revs and noticed that every time I reved the engine it would pull timing -1 to -3 degrees. I was kind of disappointed because I thought maybe the tune was not that good. I decided I would just take it easy and drive home on lite throttle. No sense in stopping and reflashing, might as well give the tune a chance.

Well, with that being said, I cannot be more pleased with the performance of the tune. I think the initial timing pull was because of the motor being cold and the ecu not necessarily being used to operating this way. The tune has my car running like a dream in comparison to the COBB tune. It does NOT pull timing like the COBB. The COBB would pull timing often, the maperformance rarely causes this. If it does, its about -1 to -2 which is within my own personal comfort threshold.

I have seen maximum boost pressure of 26.6 lbs and the get up and go is like I have a new car.

Bottom line if youre looking for a good map for a relatively stock vehicle, I would recommend this.

TL;DR Good map for stock. Go Buy.

Last edited:

GTI787

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI
I've been running there tune since January and 0 issues. Ian is also great to deal with.
Makes the car feel so much better than what the stage 1 OTS tune provides. Enjoy the tune sir!

halm

Can anyone speak to how their clutch is holding up will all the power from this tune? I'm thinking about getting this tune for my 16 MT and the clutch is the only thing I'm worried about

SweetJones_29

Ready to race!
Can anyone speak to how their clutch is holding up will all the power from this tune? I'm thinking about getting this tune for my 16 MT and the clutch is the only thing I'm worried about

If you get a tune with a 6MT make sure you have $ for a clutch. Not matter how conservative the tune people have reported clutch slippage.

flip7

Ready to race!
If you get a tune with a 6MT make sure you have $ for a clutch. Not matter how conservative the tune people have reported clutch slippage.
Been there, done that, replaced clutch.
If i returned it to stock it was no longer slipping but boring to drive

So I decided to pay to play. No regrets and not looking back.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

marauder

Go Kart Newbie

With a custom tune you can have the tuner dial the torque back in the low end to help save your clutch. Your car won't be as fast as you're not pushing it as hard but you don't tear through your clutch. This is something I have on my tune, and I'm sitting at about 18k with my tune and no clutch issues yet.

Antimatter

Ready to race!

13,500 miles on my 2017 and about 12,000 of them have been tuned on MAP's 93 octane stage 1 tune.

No clutch issues at all, but I never go WOT below 4k RPM.