GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Unexplainable Changes in OBDeleven History

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I was using the OBD11 app and was browsing around. After a while, I checked my history and an inexplicable change showed up. The OBD11 app is pretty good about making sure you confirm any changes you make. So I don't think there is any way I could have inadvertently changed something.

Anyway, after pulling up the long coding in an effort to reverse the change, the app gave me an error message and I couldn't reverse it. Has anyone seen this before or any thoughts of what might be going on?

Attachments

• OBD11 screen shot.jpg
    OBD11 screen shot.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 361

kmarriner

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE DSG
I am not DV52, but I will take a stab at this. Did you use an app (the credit kind) to code in a mirror dip?

I don't know the hex values, but I believe that byte 4 in module 52 is the coding for the mirror dip. When you use an app inside the OBDeleven app the coding changes won't show up in history until you open that module after the fact; I ran into this myself a few times.

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I am not DV52, but I will take a stab at this. Did you use an app (the credit kind) to code in a mirror dip?

I don't know the hex values, but I believe that byte 4 in module 52 is the coding for the mirror dip. When you use an app inside the OBDeleven app the coding changes won't show up in history until you open that module after the fact; I ran into this myself a few times.

Yep, I did use an app for the mirror dip. Although, that shows up in my history as being logged over a month ago and has the header "App". In this case, the header says "Long Coding" and is dated a month later. It's also peculiar that I can't set it back to the old value.

The only other thing I can think of is, I used the door controls while OBD11 was running. I rolled down the driver side window and may have adjusted the right mirror too. Doubt if that would be the cause though.

kmarriner

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE DSG
Yep, I did use an app for the mirror dip. Although, that shows up in my history as being logged over a month ago and has the header "App". In this case, the header says "Long Coding" and is dated a month later. It's also peculiar that I can't set it back to the old value.

The only other thing I can think of is, I used the door controls while OBD11 was running. I rolled down the driver side window and may have adjusted the right mirror too. Doubt if that would be the cause though.

Sorry, I should have clarified. It'll show up as an "app" in the history but won't show the long coding UNTIL you actually venture into that module, and then the long coding will also show up in history with the current time/date listed.

For example, I used the app to disable my seatbelt chime and it showed up in my history as such.
Then a few days later I went into the dashboard/instruments module to change something else and noticed a new long code that I didn't do in my history, DV52 confirmed for me that that was indeed the long coding for the seatbelt chime. You can see that conversation here: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=372164&postcount=1404

I don't know why it works like that, but thats how it seems to be coded. So, just knowing that is the byte for the mirror dip thats my guess. As far as why you can't change it back, it could be behind a security code.

Last edited:

kmarriner

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE DSG
To add to this, I tracked down the coding for mirror dip, it says to enable bits 2 and 3 on byte 4; 0C (byte 4 position) translates to 00001100 which is exactly bits 2 and 3 enabled.

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
To add to this, I tracked down the coding for mirror dip, it says to enable bits 2 and 3 on byte 4; 0C (byte 4 position) translates to 00001100 which is exactly bits 2 and 3 enabled.

Cool thanks much appreciated! I feel much better. I was starting to worry my OBD11 was going HAL (from 2001: A Space Odyssey) on me. :D