GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

stop start disabled and regen

wild pete

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi all .Ref stop start disable via voltage method on my 2.0 diesel which I did in December , I had a thought tonight that I hadn't noticed any regen signs . Now as the stop start is disabled due to high current consumption as it says on the screen any idea whether this is going to stop regens taking place ?

TheSwede

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf7 Alltrack/Cupra
Since you have deactivated the S/S with the voltage parameter you have to live with the message ”High Consumption”. That’s normal. Have done it on our Golf 7:s 3 years ago. Same message.

/Peter

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Since you have deactivated the S/S with the voltage parameter you have to live with the message ”High Consumption”. That’s normal. Have done it on our Golf 7:s 3 years ago. Same message.

/Peter

Peter: Very true - but the "High Consumption" message comes up regardless of whether the Temperature method, or the Voltage method is used to disable Start Stop facility.

Wild pete's question is interesting because it asks whether regeneration (which VW calls "Recuperation") is necessarily tied to SS - I don't know the answer, but I am aware that there are separate coding switches in the CAN gateway to tell it that SS and regeneration are installed in the car.

For example, in the CAN Gateway module @ address hex19:
Byte 3, Bits 2-3 control "Start/Stop with Recuperation installed PR-7L6"
Byte 4, Bit 1 controls "Recuperation installed PR-7L6"
Byte 4, Bit 3 controls "Deep cycling of Recuperation active PR-7L6"

This can imply that whilst SS needs Recuperation to operate, the reverse isn't necessarily true.

The Voltage method for disabling SS works by fooling SS into believing that there is insufficient battery voltage to restart the engine if it is stopped. Of itself, this same message shouldn't stop Recuperation because this is exactly the battery condition that Recuperation is meant to address - I think

As I said, I don't know the answer (however, my hunch is that the two functions are linked, but separate), but I'm interested if anyone who has implemented either of these tweaks finds-out (I'm using my Auto SS kill switch to disable SS instead of the tweak)

Don

Last edited:

wild pete

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for replies and Don on both threads. Yes I know about the high msg consumption on screen that is not a problem. I am going to revert back and use the switch to turn it off again for a while and note whether I think regeneration is taking place. Also i noticed today if you operate the SS switch off as well while it is disabled by VCDS voltage method I do not get the A sign on dash when at rest. My problem with doing it by switch is sometimes it comes back on again and find myself constantly looking at the switch to see if its lit up . Someone else mentioned this happens to them as well. I must say it is nice not to have to worry about turning it off everytime I hate S/S it cannot be good for the engine or turbo keep stopping and starting.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Peter: Very true - but the "High Consumption" message comes up regardless of whether the Temperature method, or the Voltage method is used to disable Start Stop facility.

Wild pete's question is interesting because it asks whether regeneration (which VW calls "Recuperation") is necessarily tied to SS - I don't know the answer, but I am aware that there are separate coding switches in the CAN gateway to tell it that SS and regeneration are installed in the car.

For example, in the CAN Gateway module @ address hex19:
Byte 3, Bits 2-3 control "Start/Stop with Recuperation installed PR-7L6"
Byte 4, Bit 1 controls "Recuperation installed PR-7L6"
Byte 4, Bit 3 controls "Deep cycling of Recuperation active PR-7L6"

This can imply that whilst SS needs Recuperation to operate, the reverse isn't necessarily true.

The Voltage method for disabling SS works by fooling SS into believing that there is insufficient battery voltage to restart the engine if it is stopped. Of itself, this same message shouldn't stop Recuperation because this is exactly the battery condition that Recuperation is meant to address - I think

As I said, I don't know the answer (however, my hunch is that the two functions are linked, but separate), but I'm interested if anyone who has implemented either of these tweaks finds-out (I'm using my Auto SS kill switch to disable SS instead of the tweak)

Don

I know nothing about this but is there a channel option for "not installed" using VCDS?

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Thanks for replies and Don on both threads. Yes I know about the high msg consumption on screen that is not a problem. I am going to revert back and use the switch to turn it off again for a while and note whether I think regeneration is taking place. Also i noticed today if you operate the SS switch off as well while it is disabled by VCDS voltage method I do not get the A sign on dash when at rest. My problem with doing it by switch is sometimes it comes back on again and find myself constantly looking at the switch to see if its lit up . Someone else mentioned this happens to them as well. I must say it is nice not to have to worry about turning it off everytime I hate S/S it cannot be good for the engine or turbo keep stopping and starting.

Wild pete: my suggestion - do as I did and forget about the VCDS tweak and the "tell" on the MDF (the dreaded "A" symbol with the slash) every time you stop. And also forget about the "High consumption"message .

Instead simply build and install one of these:

It's not difficult to build and install. I've been using one of these for 2 years now - it's never let me down: every time I turn-on the ignition, SS is automatically turned-off and I can re-enable SS later in the journey if I so desire (not that I have ever done this - I think SS is the most dangerous thing in the car!)

Details HERE

Don

MarcA

Ready to race!
Are all you running DSG? IM manual so have to put into neutral etc to get ss to work which I just never do to be honest un less I'm in a jam or something for a while

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Are all you running DSG? IM manual so have to put into neutral etc to get ss to work which I just never do to be honest un less I'm in a jam or something for a while

Marc: yes - ain't much the driver can do with SS for a DSG gearbox

wild pete

Passed Driver's Ed
Today I can confirm regen is taking place . Got home from work and noticed as I stopped in my dive the idle was high at 1000 rpm , so got the screen on mfd with stop start status . It showed 'engine must be running' ,which I believe is another tell tale regen sign . So without turning engine off went for a further spirited drive and after a short time 10 mins or so, noticed the 'engine must be running' went off and idle speed normal .Am happy now to leave the dreaded stop start disabled by voltage method .