GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

bleeding brakes and other questions

edge04

Ready to race!
Will be tracking the R often. Not competitively as I race a C6 competitively. but often.

Going to flush brake fluid and replace with SRF. can you activate the ABS with OBD eleven or would I need to take to a dealer or someone with the right computer?

The R brakes seem very good on the street however do seem to be heavily front biased. I plan on running carbotech X10 or 12's in front with stock or similar rotors. will also put on some stainless lines. In searching it seems 50/50 on whether to also change rears or just run them stock. What are people that are actively tracking suggest? Although the 10's or 12's don't have massive bite I am concerned that running either with stock rears will unbalance the car when aggressive braking is applied. The tracks that I will run are hard on brakes as am I. I have no issues with swapping both for track use.

This will be my first mod until I get use to the car and will then consider other suspension mods if required.

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion
I'm not sure if obd11 can activate the ABS, however, you should be able to activate the electronic bleeding of the brakes with Ross-Tech.

I too am running SRF with my StopTech kit and stainless lines to all four corners.

My experience on track is limited to the Daytona Student Course and Sebring long course. I to have noticed a large amount of front bias but I plan to balance with different rear pads. Still doing research on that though.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

edge04

Ready to race!
should have mentioned that I'll probably run stickers or an R compound tire. Looking for a set of track rims as well. The team dynamics you have a link to look nice but 24lbs

Last edited:

edge04

Ready to race!
I really like the RE-71R, great 200tw tire. R888's are a great but suck on the street, loud as heck. Still deciding if I want a set of track only rims and tires or a dual purpose tire.

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion
I really like the RE-71R, great 200tw tire. R888's are a great but suck on the street, loud as heck. Still deciding if I want a set of track only rims and tires or a dual purpose tire.
Going dual purpose for now; if and when I can attend more than two events a year then I'll go with track setup.

Several folks at Chin Motorsports had positive things to say about the RE-71s.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

No idea if obd11 is able to open ABS valves, but VCDS certainly is.

The very most important thing when it comes to brakes and track
is ventilation. I'd never run on any track without the splash guards
being removed and put (last generation) RS3/TT-RS air guides on.
Bear in mind, heat not just strains pads and rotors but also caliper
seals and wheel bearings. Decreasing temps by 50 or even 100° is
advantageous to virtually anything close to your brakes.

When you have access to VCDS you should also set the emergency
brake assist to its least intrusive setting. Without doing so, it will
activate itself any time you get quickly onto the brakes, inevitably
activating ABS too, whether you want or not. There's a hint some-
where on the forum how to accomplish the procedure.

This and some decent pads and fluid and you're fine. I don't think
you need the same expenditure on the rears, but the same type of
pads and removing the shields definitely wouldn't harm. Same applies
to putting some heat shielding tape onto ABS sensor wirings and ball
joints on front.