GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Speedcams

mcmaddy

Ready to race!
You can get them from pocketgpsworld but I dont know which ones work with the discover pro. I think tom tom ones work but cant be certain

Boggle

Here's how to create and install your own custom POI's on a Discover Pro unit. I've used a list of "National Trust" properties in the UK as an example (as Speedcams are copyrighted) but you can use any combination of suitable POIs you have access to.

All of the instructions and specs can be found on the VW web-site in their FAQ at: http://www.volkswagen.de/de/navigation/faq.html (German).

The important points are:
You need to get compatible POI files - e.g. in ASC or CSV format are the easiest. If you want to create your own icon, this should be 39x39 pixels in PNG format (transparency is supported). Once you have these, you need to use VW's NAV-Companion web-site to create the installable POIs. This can be found at: http://www.volkswagen.de/de/navigation/discover-pro/poi-listen-sammlung.html (again, German - there are no English versions available).

The output from NAV-Companion is a zip file (National Trust POIs Discover Pro.zip in this example). To install the POIs, you'll need to extract the contents of the zip file to a blank SD card. You'll end up with a single text file (metainfo2.txt and a folder 'PersonalPOI' on the card). Take the card to the car and then follow these steps to install...

Insert the SD card into the Discover Pro.
Press the hard key "Menu".
Select the option "Setup".
Scroll down and select "System Information".
Select "Update Software".
The Discover Pro now displays the "Software Update checks". Select "Next" and then "OK" and "now."
The device will now reboot. Then the POI package will be available in the navigation context.

You can only install one set of personal POIs at a time - the file you install overwrites any previously installed custom POIs, but you can include many individual POI files in your set (so you could create individual zoned speedcam sets quite easily for example).

I've also attached a file called National Trust Source POIs.zip that contains the source POIs CSV file and icon in PNG format so you can try the process yourself.

There's no mention of the Discover Media unit on any the NAV-Companion pages so I guess this is only for Discover Pro - but would be interesting to know if the Discover Media does anything if you follow the installation instructions above - maybe a Discover Media owner could try it and let us know.

Attachments

• National Trust POIs Discover Pro.zip
    11.6 KB · Views: 1,231
  • National Trust Source POIs.zip
    5.1 KB · Views: 997

le0n1

Ready to race!
Where can I download the NAV Companion? Or is it a website?

Boggle

The POI files on the Discover Media SD card are in Navteq's "SDAL" format, which is commonly used by various manufacturers that use Navteq maps. We'd need to get hold of the file format spec (which used to be freely available from Navteq's developer website until they got bought up) to have a chance of adding our own POIs.

Matrick

Passed Driver's Ed
I have been looking into speed camera alerts since getting my MK7 GT. My last car had no inbuilt SatNav so I used a Tom Tom with camera alerts. While I don't particularly speed as such, I like the warning to remind me when the speed limit has suddenly dropped..... Just in time for a well placed camera.

The problem, unless I'm mistaken, is that adding POI speed cameras to the Discover SatNav will only give a visual image on the map. One cannot add audible alerts for when approaching a POI ?

Assuming I am correct I am looking at getting something like a stand alone Snooper Lynx GT, just to alert for speed cameras.

mcmaddy

Ready to race!
I've got an old snooper Strabo that I used before I got my rns510. I like the in built system much better even though you don't get audible alerts. no cables, nothing sticking to your windscreen and to be honest the icons just seem to catch your eye. persevere with the in built system is much better and neater.

Matrick

Passed Driver's Ed
I can't argue that having the inbuilt system only is much neater - that is what I'd really like. I'm just so used to reliable audible alerts..... We'll see!

Thanks for your advice ;)

Last edited:

PJ954

I'm really keen to use this feature but scared of wrecking the system if I get it wrong as I'm not a techie.

Is there a way to restore if it goes wrong?