GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Map Update Discover Media SatNav System

Anayat

Ready to race!
Recently updated my satnav to version P36_N60S3MIBS2_EU_NT_Q1.13.7z, have done another update in the past however this update has for some reason removed all street names from the map, the names appear only on the MFD screen.

I have tried downloading just the one file from the update site, and then downloading it in the five parts. nothing seems to work.

Attachments

• IMG_5381 (1).jpg
    IMG_5381 (1).jpg
    392.3 KB · Views: 2,407

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
Then try the process again?
I have not updated mine and even though it is free, I'm yet to find where the maps do not cover, even my very old TT has not been updated and I can only recall 3 areas where the maps are outdated, and those were on bypass roads near Swindon, on the way to Middlesbourough and a ring road in Walsall.

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
Boro - great place
Swindon - interesting place
Walsall - ??????

Heh heh , they had built a new Asda in the centre and changed the through road, Boro and Swindon though was humerous, the device was bleeping to sy above the speed limit and saying take the 2nd exit at the roundabout or turn left :eek: However I can imagine reading about idiots that end up on a train line because the sat nav told them so. :rolleyes:

dickt

Ready to race!
I've really upset daughter's Garmin/Seat sat nav. It'll do a Marvin the robot. All I did was set out a couple of times to find out why the voice was not coming over the radio speakers. As I do not know how to cancel a destination, it appears to now have more than 1 destination that it wants to go to.

On the update - the Garmin/Seat update was a doddle compared to all the crap that my mk 7 needs.
I think I'll leave the Mk 7 and stick to 2012 roads.

ept

Ready to race!
On the update - the Garmin/Seat update was a doddle compared to all the crap that my mk 7 needs.
I think I'll leave the Mk 7 and stick to 2012 roads.[/QUOTE]

Me to I've downloaded the update files for the Discover Pro but I can't get a download program on the mac to unzip the files when I load the SD card in the car I get an error message,so I've given up for now

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Don't bet on it, I updated my Garmin on Saturday on return from Aberdeen, the update (6Gb) took almost 8hrs to download and a further four to install - yes, our internet here is pretty stone age.

DickFineman

Passed Driver's Ed
Then try the process again?
I have not updated mine and even though it is free, I'm yet to find where the maps do not cover, even my very old TT has not been updated and I can only recall 3 areas where the maps are outdated, and those were on bypass roads near Swindon, on the way to Middlesbourough and a ring road in Walsall.

I totally agree with you Avanti; its such a painfully slow process to update Sat Nav systems and so easy to mess up. After 6 months to a year, the probability of encountering a road or a roundabout or an Asda which has been updated in the real world, is quite low.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
I totally agree - unless going on a long journey in areas you know might have changed, if you cover a lot of ground on a regular basis, or if you're a tad OCD like myself, I'd say once per year is adequate.

The reason I update mine more often is because of changes that I know have taken place in my area, otherwise I wouldn't do it so often. I think it's a shame you can't do an incremental up-date of parts of the mapping, e.g. UK only, or UK plus European countries you plan to visit rather than the whole multi-Gigabyte shooting match.

sdalglei

Recently updated my satnav to version P36_N60S3MIBS2_EU_NT_Q1.13.7z, have done another update in the past however this update has for some reason removed all street names from the map, the names appear only on the MFD screen.

I have tried downloading just the one file from the update site, and then downloading it in the five parts. nothing seems to work.

@Anayat, did you manage to resolve this? I have the same issue.

Anayat

Ready to race!
@Anayat, did you manage to resolve this? I have the same issue.

Yes I did manage to resolve it, it turns out it was the software that was extracting the update that was the problem, if you try it again perhaps from a different computer or a different extractor software should do the trick. Or you can go to the dealer, In the UK they're supposed to update it for you for free for 3 years.

Putzy

I've managed to solve this for those mac users out there. Didn't need to use a PC either. Just the mac.

I had tried many expander tools to decompress the file, and they all had the street names missing. But I got it to work using 2 new things i tried at the same time, one of which might have done it or it might need both

The first thing was to use a new decompression software I hadn't used before for the .7z file. It was called '7zX (Mac)' and here is the link:

http://7zx.en.softonic.com/mac

The other thing I tried was to run the decompression of a PC formatted usb stick. I took a 16GB USB stick and formatted it using Disk Utility (standard on a mac). The format I used was exFAT. (FAT32 does not support files bigger than 4GB, which this is). I then copied the 7z file onto the USB stick and then used the 7zX software to expand it onto the USB stick. Just in case it's when the file sits on a mac volume that corrupts it.then once that is finished, I copied the files directly from the USB stick onto the SD card that goes in the car.

It may be that just using the 7zX software does the trick, so I would give that a go first and if it is still missing the addresses then try with an exFAT USB stick

You're welcome.