GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > GTI Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 12-14-2016, 09:33 PM   #1
George Smooth

Drives: Golf 7 R
BMS VW GTI JB4 info thread

We would like to introduce users to our latest offering.

The unit is called a JB4 which is the name of our most advanced circuit board with CANbus connection (vehicle data network). It has been tried and tested over many BMW models and it is time for the evolution to start for the VW market.

Upgrade units for JB1 users are available to at this link, both revision 1 and 2 units can be upgraded: http://www.burgertuning.com/vw_audi_...grade_kit.html

Complete JB4 Beta units will be available in the next two weeks at a opening price of $429 (final price will be $479).

The JB4 is a true plug and play tune offering safe and adjustable gains.

The unit ships with a base setting in map 1 that increases the boost by +4.0psi over stock that is safe to be used with 91US octane and 95 Euro. The typical power gains on this setting are 35whp and 40ft lb. Higher power levels are achievable using the various maps as seen lower down.

Install instructions:
Install instructions can be found here: http://www.burgertuning.com/instruct...B4_install.pdf

JB1 to JB4 update instructions can be found here: http://www.burgertuning.com/vw_audi_...grade_kit.html

Connectivity:
To connect to the unit to make changes or do logs you have two options:
1. Laptop connection using our BMS Data Cable via free Windows and Mac software. (conventional serial cables will not work and possibly damage the board).

Via Bluetooth using our JB4 Connect kit that is IOS and Android compatible. The Bluetooth device replaces the need for our BMS Data Cable. On some Android devices users have has success connecting using our Data Cable. The App for the handset has a separate charge and can be found in the Google play store or App store as JB4 Connect.
The App can also be used for a gauge displaying showing true values, has shift light capability and acceleration times are being worked on.

JB4 connect link here: http://www.burgertuning.com/bluetoot...nnect_kit.html

JB4 connect kit install guide can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2be7wrpxez...26-17.pdf?dl=0
JB4 Connect kit website can be found here: www.jb4connectkit.com

User interface software:
For users that have opted to purchase the optional but recommended for JB4 BMS Data Cable you will need to download and install the Windows user interface at this link http://www.n54tech.com/flash_files/jb4_interface.zip
There is a 3rd Party Developed Mac interface that can also be used, download link can be found here at bottom of post 1 http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21742
Watch this video which has a walk through of the process and also the steps to change maps and tuning settings. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjQjMWBVve4

Directions on installing the interface and connecting to your JB can be found here http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpo...21&postcount=1
Firmware is what runs the JB4 unit. As we release updates or new firmware versions this can be uploaded to your unit free of charge.

Typical gains:
Typical gains can be seen on the dyno sheet below on a stock GTI DSG. Map 1 will yield the advertised 35whp and 40ft lbs on 91 on a stock car, Map 2 yields 48whp and 60ft lbs on 91 on a stock car. With some E85 mix the car can be set to a gain of 65whp. In map 6 torque is relevant to how hard a user wants to push the bottoms end.

On a modified car gains are related to how hard one wants to push the car. Using map 2 boost levels will keep the car in the 300whp region which we consider a decent power level for turbo longevity. On of our users decided to push his car further with a DP, intake and a E25 mix and he achieved a astonishing 318whp.

Dynojet IS38 results to follow but a average of 350whp is deemed as the safe level with stronger cars at owner request pushing past 380whp.

Map selection:
In order to change the map in the picture below under the logging tab you can pick the required map. Under status the unit must show connected. This is done by clicking file and selecting connect.

Upon shipping the following maps are active:

Map 0: Stock with complete pass through i.e. the JB4 does nothing

Map 1: Tuned map with a average of 4.5psi over stock. This is the shipped map and is compatible for both 91 and 93 and can be used with cars on hardware.
Map2: This map is a more aggressive map. Peak boost is set to 24psi with a taper down to 16psi at redline.
Map 3: Map three allows the JB4 to be the methanol controller working as a fail safe cutting boost if lack of meth flow is detected. You will require a Coolingmist FSB to get this working.
Map 4: This is a stock map but with JB4 logging ability. It is also the starter map for cars that are running flash tunes and are stacking the JB4. It will give the ability to log the car via the JB4. This is also the safety map, so in any circumstance the JB4 detects a unsafe condition regardless of map it will default to this map. This includes knock detection, lean AFR or the boost safety value being triggered due to lack of boost control.
Map 6: User adjustable boost map. The map comes preset with a 5.0psi over stock peak and is ready to use on any car running 93 octane. The preset map is also suitable for manual cars with clutch longevity in mind.
The mapping can be done in two manners. If the value at 1500 is kept below 10 it will work as a boost adder map. If the value at 1500 is higher than 10 it will work as a absolute map. This means actual total boost targets will need to be entered.
User Adjustment page:
Below is a outline of settings that can be changed in the User adjustment page:
Map 6 (blue outline) as explained above
AFR Bias (red outline): This value is to be set across the range at 100. It is the parameter which adjust the AFR ratio. Unless otherwise advised by us its should be left alone. For cars using the JB4 over a flash tune this value will start of at 0 across the rpm range and working on logs we will advise the end user on the settings.
Boost safety (green outline): This value is a boost ceiling that user will set. It is recommended the value of this is 2psi over peak tuned map. i.e. if you hitting 24psi set this at 26psi. If for whatever reason the car overboost it will default straight to map 4 returning the car to the stock tune.
Fuel Open Loop (purple outline): This value is what controls the rail pressure to keep fuel trims in check. It is used to avoid having the ECU compensate fuel for the unseen boost. The unit ships with a 40 value. Upon logging some users with hardware may need to raise this value. The ceiling on most cars is 60. For users that are stacking the JB4 over a flash tune this value will be set to 0 initially and via logs we will see if it needs to be raised to compensate for the small boost add.
Max boost add (pink outline): These values represent the maximum boost allowed in each gear with the minimum value being the stock tunes value. If you are using boost add values in map 6 you will add the amount of add you want max. i.e. If your high rpm values are set at 5.5 and you do not want any boost in first you will set the value to .1. If you want only 2psi add over stock you will set it to 2. This is the methodology you will use if you running the JB4 over a flash tune as well. Future firmware updates will be able to remove boost even below the stock request.
For users that are entering absolute values and say your peak is 24psi, you will enter the lowest you want allowed. Stock is around 17psi so you can do first for stock, 19 for second and so forth.

Code and Fault reading: At first release the unit will only be able to read faults in Hex Code and clear them. The next firmware update will bring the translation of the code into the user interface as well as activate the autoclear feature for users with DP’s.
For now use E Series N54 in the setting page:

Logging:
The JB4 now has full logging ability and all the parameters on the logging page are logged. The only three parameters to be added in the next firmware update is the oil temp, water temp and transmission temp.
Ign 1 represent overall timing with Ign 2-5 timing adaption and the rest are self explanatory. IAT is the value in F x10.

Logging will be explained in a dedicated map 6 thread to follow.

FAQ:

Is the AFR wire optional
The AFR wire is optional only for map 1 use

Do I need to connect the OBD cable and what does it do
The OBD is compulsory for the JB4 to function correctly. It gathers data using this cable for mapping purposes. When the OBD cable is not connected the unit will default to a 3psi over stock safety map.

Can I run the JB4 with another device connected to the CANbus?
No, any other device connected to the OBD port creates latency on the CANbus. The CANbus was designed to allow one device at a time and further data being pulled may create safety issues on the network as well as bad signal to the JB4

Will BMS release cluster display and steering wheel map switching?
At this stage cluster hijack has proven to be cost prohibitive due to the Gateway system used by VW. We are looking at getting cheaper solutions that may be affordable. Steering wheel map switching or in car map switching is something being worked on and will come in a future firmware update.

What future features will the JB4 have?
Currently we working on the code reading ability which will come as the first firmware update. Next in line is an Autotune map. Once we have gathered enough data we will be able to create a dynamic map that will self adjust on the fly maximizing performance regardless of conditions, mods and octane used.
Why is the JB4 released as Beta?
When we release units they stay in Beta for quite a while. Any updates done to the unit are firmware related so they get uploaded using the BMS Data Cable.
The JB1 stayed in Beta for a year with only one update when we opened map 6 use.
The JB4 will be ever evolving as we keep adding features to it relative to customer requests.

Will the JB4 remove my speed limiter?
At this point in time, no. The speed limiter affects many safety parameters and until we are certain there are no ill effects on this we will not have speed limiter removal available. The speed limit exceeded is also a trigger point logged in the ECU which may cause issues down the line for any form of claim.

Can launch control be added for a manual car?
No, at this stage this requires changes in the ECU structure which the JB4 does not access or tamper with. We have had success with this on other brands with add on hardware so its something we to intend down the line.

Can the JB4 support larger turbos?
At this stage on the 1.8T we can support the IS20 and on the GTI the IS38. On the R any larger frame turbo will require a flash of some sort.

How do I know if I can stack the JB4 over my flash tune and what is the process?
This varies on what the flash tune is requesting from the car and if there is room for improvement. If more hardware is used, higher octane or ethanol or meth has been added chances are there is a gain to be had. On stack tuned cars we work one on one with clients so we can understand the trend and get a better idea for the community where gains can be had.

Do I need a professional to custom tune my car?
BMS is renowned for its customer service and we can assist any customer with setting his car up to optimize performance. A large online community exists as well where users share their findings. The device works in such a way that it is easy for first time enthusiasts to get a taste of self tuning.

Why does the JB4 read my Vin number and is it Vin locked?
The Vin is read for certain mapping purposes. The unit is not locked to the car which would be unethical and can be resold.

Why is the JB4 cheaper than other options yet more advanced?
The circuit board used in the VW product has been used over many other brands and developed over a period of time so the development cost is spread over many models.

For any questions feel free to post here or email me George@burgertuning.com for a faster response.

Last edited by George Smooth; 10-14-2017 at 01:03 AM.
George Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 09:33 PM   #2
George Smooth

Reserved post
Old 12-14-2016, 09:33 PM   #3
George Smooth

Reserved post 2
Old 12-14-2016, 09:45 PM   #4
Perry01

Drives: 2016 GTI 4 DR DSG, 2008 TOUAREG V8
George, my unit is enroute, when do you anticipate starting a Map 6 thread?

2016 GTI - DSG | UR Downpipe | IE Intercooler | JB4 | 235/40 PSS | 034 Insert | Autotech CAI
VWR TIP | Leyo throttle and discharge pipes | 303 WHP |

Last edited by Perry01; 12-14-2016 at 10:47 PM.
Perry01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:11 PM   #5
hexxum001

Drives: 2016 VW GTI S PW 6MT 2Dr
Nice! This is what I have been waiting for. Can't wait to see what the JB4 is capable of. I'm down to the JB4 and the Cobb AP. Exciting times in the VW community.
Cobb AP - CTS Turbo Intake, Inlet Pipe, Turbo Muffler Delete & CBE - Emmanuele Design Boost Hoses, Springs & Rear Sway Bar - Neuspeed Catted Downpipe - Forge Twintercooler - Boomba Racing DV Adapter & Shift Knob - VMR V703 - NGK RS7 plugs - HPA Dogbone Mount - Helix - Vibrant - US Millworks - Lamin X - Build date 05/2016
hexxum001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 11:27 PM   #6
king12sky

Drives: 17' GTI, 14' S4
Hopefully it is as good as the BMW platform. Just waiting for the release date.
king12sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 11:41 PM   #7
WolfgangMK7

Drives: 2015 VW MKVII GTI DSG, PP ,JB1 2005 VW Mk4 GTI 20V
Hi George,

I have REV1 JB1. Which plug do I not need to use when I upgrade to JB4?

and with the wire tap there are no issues if you have to remove for a dealer visit?

Thanks
WolfgangMK7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 12:14 AM   #8
takemorepills

Drives: 2016 GTI SE DSG
So I read that we need to tap into the Lambda(O2?) sensor wire. Haven't looked at that part of my car yet, but would it be feasible for me to source the correct mating connectors to make an inline-T harness for the factory connection so I can avoid tapping into a wire?
takemorepills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 12:25 AM   #9
kornsined

Drives: 2016 Golf R DSG
No auto clear secondary cat codes yet?
kornsined is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 12:29 AM   #10
DarkProphet

Drives: Mk7 R
George,

Is all the info the same for the golf R as well (boost targets, fuel loop, etc)?
DarkProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 12:38 AM   #11
George Smooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfgangMK7 View Post
Hi George,

I have REV1 JB1. Which plug do I not need to use when I upgrade to JB4?

and with the wire tap there are no issues if you have to remove for a dealer visit?

Thanks
LHD Rev1.

On the wire tap can pull the protective cover back on the lambda sensor wire and tap into it. Once the tap is removed it will be no where visible.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:40 AM   #12
George Smooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by takemorepills View Post
So I read that we need to tap into the Lambda(O2?) sensor wire. Haven't looked at that part of my car yet, but would it be feasible for me to source the correct mating connectors to make an inline-T harness for the factory connection so I can avoid tapping into a wire?
The reason we do not have this part plug and play is the lambda sensor side plug only gets shipped to the lambda sensor manufacturer. We ordered to consignments via different sources and both times we got the wrong plugs. Once via the dealer as well. You can give it a shot and see if you get the right one.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:41 AM   #13
George Smooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkProphet View Post
George,

Is all the info the same for the golf R as well (boost targets, fuel loop, etc)?
Mostly yes, I am busy compiling the R side but same applies. On the R its a bit sensitive fuel rail codes at 60 Fuel open loop but we have only needed to use this when the turbo is maxed.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:42 AM   #14
George Smooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by king12sky View Post
Hopefully it is as good as the BMW platform. Just waiting for the release date.
We are using the M3/M4 S55 board on the VW's
Old 12-15-2016, 12:48 AM   #15
Martin398

Drives: '16 VW GTi
Question, on this page http://www.burgertuning.com/support.html which install guide is for VW (GTI) JB4 models? I only see BMW versions...
Martin398 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 01:07 AM   #16
George Smooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin398 View Post
Question, on this page http://www.burgertuning.com/support.html which install guide is for VW (GTI) JB4 models? I only see BMW versions...
Its not up yet, should be by tomorrow.
If you doing the upgrade then the upgrade install is getting amended today to include AFR and OBD.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:10 AM   #17
DarkProphet

Drives: Mk7 R
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Smooth View Post
Mostly yes, I am busy compiling the R side but same applies. On the R its a bit sensitive fuel rail codes at 60 Fuel open loop but we have only needed to use this when the turbo is maxed.
Sounds good, what would you suggest running for 93 octane with DSG? I was hoping to use map 6 with absolute boost to increase 1-3 power.

Also are the power gains similar to the gti?
DarkProphet is offline   Reply With Quote