GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit the screenwash tank cap from the Audi Q7 (2016->)

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Disclaimer:- This info is for community usage. I am NOT affiliated to, or sponsored by, any company/individual to promote them or their products. Companies/individuals may NOT use my name, photos, or threads/technical guides, for financial or personal gain (fraudulent misrepresentation).

Part 1 of 1

Vehicle used in this guide
UK spec, 2014yr model, Mk7 Golf Estate (GSW), GT (Highline) trim, 1.4lt TSI (140PS) CHPA petrol engine, MQ250 6speed manual gearbox, multilink rear suspension.

Vehicles that this guide is applicable to
Any VAG (Audi/Seat/Skoda/VW) car with the same original 1K0 955 455, screenwash cap.

Introduction
I hate the stupid, cheap, one-piece screenwash tank caps. On previous VAG cars that have had this one-piece item the retaining collar for the cap is allowed to rotate around the tank filler neck. Usually this enables you to jam the cap in the open position by rotating it into another car part which causes "interference". VAG decided to fit a lug to the neck & notch to the collar, which stops the cap from rotating. So now you can't jam the cap in the open position & it repeatedly springs back on you whilst you are trying to pour screenwash into the tank from a 5lt container!! Half of which ends up over the headlight unit & in the engine bay!!!

Research
This modification was only posted up on the drive2.com (Russian) site a few weeks ago. So, I thought I would do the “mod” & share the info! This new item is from the late build 2016 Audi Q7 & Audi TT cars. These cars were originally fitted with the same one-piece 1K0 955 455 cap which is fitted to our MK7 Golf’s, & masses of other VAG vehicles! It is a perfect fit, & also has the notch for the lug to stop rotation around the screenwash tank neck. This item comes pre-assembled & comprises two parts (cap & retaining collar) which clip together to form a proper hinge. This means you can flip it open & the cap will stay fully open & not repeatedly spring back on you!

Parts required
VAG ETKA illustration for Audi Q7/2016/Electrics/No.955-010

Parts list & approx. costs in UK £
Item No.4:- 4M0 955 267,
Cap, £3.58 (x1)

Fitting
Remove the old cap & fit new one making sure the notch on the collar is correctly located over the lug on the screenwash tank filler neck. Take your old one piece cap & dispose of properly in your recycling bins, or at your local recycling centre! Job done!

Results
Now enjoy being able to pour screenwash into the tank without getting half of it all over the headlight & engine bay. 100% reduction in aggravation & stress, guaranteed!!!

Conclusions
Again, yet another perfect example of penny pinching from the bean counters at VAG by not fitting a more expensive, but more functional item to "lesser" VAG cars!

Screenwash-cap-Audi-Q7.jpg

Last edited:

quailallstar

WOB DJ496
Car(s)
MY19 MK7.5 GTI Bunny
Also part number 3Q0 955 455 is the same item and I believe a Porsche part.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
I got a black one somewhere, I believe off ECS tuning. Believe it was also a 2 piece but may be wrong. I can rotate it and tuck it out of the way just fine :)

Sherifftruman

Ready to race!
So, interestingly, I just received the 3Q0-955-455 cap (it's been back ordered like 3 weeks) and it's not a two piece one. It does have a different molded hinge, made such that it will spring open and stay open. But Since it's a one piece with a living hinge, I imagine it could crack at some point. Wonder if they changed the design for all of them?

Last edited:

quailallstar

WOB DJ496
Car(s)
MY19 MK7.5 GTI Bunny
So, interestingly, I just received the 3Q0-955-455 cap (it's been back ordered like 3 weeks) and it's not a two piece one. It does have a different molded hinge, made such that it will spring open and stay open. But Since it's a one piece with a living hinge, I imagine it could crack at some point. Wonder if they changed the design for all of them?

I noticed the same thing when I installed mine. Regardless I'm happy with the inexpensive mod.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...o-your-Golf-R-today&p=104171881#post104171881

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I've seen the newer one piece item as shown above, which I think they are moving onto for "lesser" models.

I prefer the two piece item with proper hinge, less likely to split with age..

Sherifftruman

Ready to race!
I've seen the newer one piece item as shown above, which I think they are moving onto for "lesser" models.

I prefer the two piece item with proper hinge, less likely to split with age..

I agree, yours is definitely better. I'll probably change it eventually, but this works much better than the stock one.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Does anyone else's screenwash cap not just neatly jam in gap between the airfilter and body work?

In my case different engine to yours, air filter no where near the screen wash lid, plus the lid will not rotate at it has a lug on the neck as I explained in the how to ...;)

broadbean

Passed Driver's Ed

Looks like mine, Australian MY16 model.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I guess this proves that there are some reasons to buy a GTI instead!

But a GTI won't carry me & mates & skis, gear etc., my Golf Estate (GSW) will, & it's the most powerful 2WD petrol that was done at the time of purchase.

The AWD "R" estate costs £7,000 more for the same spec & huge difference in insurance & does not come in manual or Tungsten silver either (even in Germany)...

So spending some money on proper screen wash cap is a cheaper option...:D