GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Accidentally put in 89 Gas

Eury

Passed Driver's Ed
Very interesting, however that's only for 1.8l. Now I wish they had that for the GTI, because 91 is the lowest tune they provide.

Haha, I know.. it's horrible. When I started driving it was a fixed increase price of 30 cents across all pumps - at that time I didn't need 93, LOL. In recent years, I've pulled in and left pumps that had 70-80 cent markups over 87 (that's when gas was a lot more expensive and the % difference wasn't nearly as bad as it is today). Now I use the gas app/know the stations that are little better. I guess the premium pump prices take a lot longer to adjust to market/crude due to supply/demand so prices do not drop as quick as the cheaper (more demand) 87 causing that spike in % when comparing the two.

I haven't put an APR tune on my MK7 yet, but the one on my MK5 allowed me to select the stock tune when I wanted to and was fine on 87. Have they taken out that feature?

gti330ex

Go Kart Newbie
I haven't put an APR tune on my MK7 yet, but the one on my MK5 allowed me to select the stock tune when I wanted to and was fine on 87. Have they taken out that feature?
They haven't been able to make it work. I've bugged them a few times and no word on when it'll be available. That's how i had my mk6 gti (s2) set-up.

Ive been stage1 since 4k (now I'm approaching 18k miles), and the plan back then was to wait for stage2 upgrade when tune switching ability is available so I can do it all at once & not habe to pay another 100 for the upgrade when it becomes available... so yea, still nothing on that. FYI in case yo go w a different tuner.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Spencermjs

This is true IF your car is not turbocharged or high compression. If you read the gas label it says min 87 normal 91. In our case the engine is designed to run on gas anywhere from 87 on up. At a certain point more octane won't help because the ecu won't increase boost anymore but for the most part a slight increase in octane will see a SLIGHT increase in performance. It's only a few HP though and in normal daily driving won't be significantly noticeable. If 87 octane makes a huge difference in the way your car runs you should have it looked at.

Last edited:

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Many manufacturers now say cars can run on 87. Hyundai has been one of the few of them to actually say that the engine makes more power on premium, but 87 is ok. With today's advanced computers, the ECU will adjust to the fuel. Yes if the car was specifically designed to run on just 87, then premium won't help. Volkswagen does specify that the rated hp was made on premium fuel. They just don't say what the reduced power is on regular like Hyundai had the balls to do. If you feel like your car is fine on 87, then use it. I use 93 and I'm happy with the way it performs. Volkswagen would not make the disclaimer if there was not a difference. Some say the computer won't advance timing, but have you thought about the fact that it retards it when you put in the 87?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
How do you really know what the octane was? It's not like gas stations test it. I saw an "expose" that showed a lot of variation.

Mercfh

Ready to race!

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Thats the thing though, im pretty sure at least the 1.8 is designed for premium (correct me if Im wrong)

Nope, it's always been 87. For even more solid proof APR has an 87 octane file for their stage 1 software, showing that it's safe to run 87 even when making 235 chp with our engines.

Also, if you open up your gas cap and check the sticker on the flap it should say 87 (it does on mine).

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Nope, it's always been 87. For even more solid proof APR has an 87 octane file for their stage 1 software, showing that it's safe to run 87 even when making 235 chp with our engines.

Also, if you open up your gas cap and check the sticker on the flap it should say 87 (it does on mine).

Yes, but Volkswagen says that the advertised power rating was achieved on premium fuel. It will work on 87, but 93 most likely makes more power

Gro Harlem

Ready to race!
Difference in power is not going to be anywhere close to those figures you've listed. I think we're talking about 5whp at best.

APR did Dyno's of the stock 1.8TSI and with 87 they got 151whp and with 93 they got 175whp. Explain that exactly?

The VW ECU adapts to octane and adjusts itself accordingly to take advantage. This is the case with many other modern turbocharged cars.

I agree that octane doesn't matter on a naturally aspirated car but with so many modern car manfacturers reducing their cars displacements, adding turbos and tuning them to work with 87 Octane the tuning potential is greatly increased since their software is designed to neuter the performance to work with 87 octane BUT can take advantage of higher quality fuel if it detects it.

Gro Harlem

Ready to race!
Read the 2nd page of this thread and this is making my head hurt.

Does someone have to take a picture of their owners manual and gas cap to prove that the North American 1.8TSI VW engines can use 87 Octane?