GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Soundskins sound-deadening material review

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
So, I wanted to write a quick review on this sound-deadening material called Soundskins. Don't ask me to compare it to dynamat, because I have no idea and haven't used it. I will tell you my impressions of Soundskins and you can take it for what it's worth.

I decided to buy a few rolls since I would have my door panels off to install some upgraded speakers anyway. Simply put, amazing! I covered probably around 50% of the outer shells of each of my doors, and covered most of the inner shells, as you can see in the pics. I also covered most of the spare tire area, and put some pieces on the actual hatch and trim pieces because I get a lot of vibrations in there from my sub.

It is creepy how much quieter the car is as a whole, I still am not used to it and it and am still weirded out by it when I drive. It is very noticeable, especially when I compare where my volume for music would normally be before applying them, vs. where I have it set now (at least a couple of clicks on the steering wheel quieter) because road noise is much less prominent. The music very easily carries over the roadnoise now... Literally cannot hear the roadnoise when music is playing. This as a whole makes the ride quieter, more comfortable, and your music sound better. To put it another way, I drove around with just these on without my door panels on and it sounded like the door panels were still on. So then, take that and actually add the door panels back, and it's that much quieter.

Basically, I would 100% recommend these if you care about your music, or if you want a more comfortable (quieter) ride. It's not a hard project at all, just a bit time consuming. I am also notoriously slow when working on my car (ask the wife). I bought 3 rolls which was plenty to cover everything I wanted to cover (4 doors, spare tire area, pieces of hatch & trim). I got the rolls for $75 each, and they weigh 6lbs each. Different dealers could have better prices.

Also, you can request a free sample. They were VERY quick to get me a free sample, and I saw and felt the quality of the material myself before I bought them. These, along with the Soumatrix Xtase speakers which are also amazing, have been a fantastic upgrade to my car.

If you are interested in taking a stab at this yourself, I used the Power Folding Mirror install guide from USP motorsports to get the front doors off, and watched a video on YouTube of someone applying the Soundskins. The only thing not noted in removing the doors is the rear doors. It's even simpler, but the little screw that you have to turn at the bottom of the door is behind the little red reflector at the bottom.

I used two sheets of wax paper taped together. You can see through it just enough to trace stuff out. I made one "stencil" for the front doors, and one for the back. The left/right doors are exactly identical, just mirrored, so no need to trace out all 4 doors. I then put that over a soundskin and cut away. It worked fairly well, though it wasn't the cleanest install, my stenciling could use some work :)

Power Folding Mirror install guide from USP

YouTube video

Pic of the high-quality material, which has several layers:

All panels removed:

Speaker removed, Soundskins applied to outer shell:

Soundskins completely applied:

Speaker installed:

Spare tire area with carpet removed, before (and no, I don't normally keep all this junk back here):

Spare tire area with carpet removed, after (yes I know she needs a bath):

Some pieces on the hatch to cut down on vibrations (have noticed ZERO since installation):

Spare tire area, carpet replaced

Last edited:

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
it is good to see that the weight increase is minimal, did you install the speakers already?

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
Enjoyed the review.
To bad car companies do not offer an insulation package as an option on ordered cars. For $50 in insulation one could change a car. The type of material you used is very good and
reducing sound. I have used in industry before.

I've never seen an insulation package option. Second, this kind of material is far too expensive for OEM applications. I rep a company in this business and we do not even think of targeting the auto industry although I do have a few aftermarket resellers. Dynamat dominates this industry.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
it is good to see that the weight increase is minimal, did you install the speakers already?

Yes, the speakers are in. They are night and day better as well, and are a true plug and play solution. They carry their own weight pretty well without a sub. I know this because my sub amp is currently going out and I have it disconnected [emoji849]

Enjoyed the review.
To bad car companies do not offer an insulation package as an option on ordered cars. For $50 in insulation one could change a car. The type of material you used is very good and
reducing sound. I have used in industry before.

Agreed! I did snag a couple of pictures of the inside of our door panels:

Front doors:

Rear doors:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Yes, the speakers are in. They are night and day better as well, and are a true plug and play solution. They carry their own weight pretty well without a sub. I know this because my sub amp is currently going out and I have it disconnected [emoji849]

Agreed! I did snag a couple or pictures of the inside of our door panels:

Front doors:

Rear doors:

Great, I just saw the pics. Another question because I thought of buying the same speakers back when they had a sale on them.
Do you reuse the twitters on the A pillar or you just unplug those?
Thanks in advance

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
I also took the time to put some tessy tape or whatever it's called on my front door window switches since they like to rattle so much:

Since doing this and the Soundskins, it would seem all of my rattles are gone *knocks on wood*

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Great, I just saw the pics. Another question because I thought of buying the same speakers back when they had a sale on them.
Do you reuse the twitters on the A pillar or you just unplug those?
Thanks in advance

Soumatrix recommends disconnecting them because they distort at high volumes, whereas these don't. High efficiency vs. low efficiency, they say. The guy that turned me on to all this said he left his in and it sounded weird in a bad way, so he ended up disconnecting them as well.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Soumatrix recommends disconnecting them because they distort at high volumes, whereas these don't. High efficiency vs. low efficiency, they say. The guy that turned me on to all this said he left his in and it sounded weird in a bad way, so he ended up disconnecting them as well.

Great thanks for the quick reply, enjoy the speakers

ryohazuki222

Ready to race!
So basically $225 lighter wallet and 18 lbs heavier car for really good sound deadening? Am I understanding this right?

How much does dynamite cost and weigh?

Any idea on how much it would cost to pay someone to do this? I enjoy working on performance parts but I hate dealing with trim and plugs... also... who would install something like this?

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
So basically $225 lighter wallet and 18 lbs heavier car for really good sound deadening? Am I understanding this right?

How much does dynamite cost and weigh?

Any idea on how much it would cost to pay someone to do this? I enjoy working on performance parts but I hate dealing with trim and plugs... also... who would install something like this?

That's correct, you can probably get a deal at some dealers if you shop around. The guy that turned me on to these got 3 rolls for $200, for example. I didn't get any quotes for install, so you'd have to call around to different car audio shops in your area and ask.

Also, no idea on dynamite, I literally did no research and just went word of mouth, which is pretty unlike me. lol! The people that have these will tell you they are much better, but since this is my first time delving into any of this, I can offer you no comparisons. :rolleyes:

EDIT: As far as doing it yourself, it's really not too bad, just a bit time intensive. I edited my OP to include the resources I used to learn how to do it myself.

Last edited:

ryohazuki222

Ready to race!
Thanks for the heads up. Seems like a fair trade off. I'm all about lightening and refused to add any weight... but this is tempting. The rattles in my 10k mile car are annoying the crap out of me. Worried that stiffening up the suspension will make them worse. May go this route to add in some reduction in nvh

lokerola

Ready to race!
Wow, thanks so much for the write up. I can see doing this in the spring after even more rattles have appeared on my 17, lol.

I traded in my 13 Accord Sport and for the first 6 months of ownership, all I did was track down small rattles. I ended up pulling a lot of the interior apart to put in dynamat to quiet the rattles down. It all worked eventually, but it definitely took a lot of time. I'm slow as well, and impatient - which is a bad combo to have when working on cars.

Anyway, thanks again for the write up and review. Nice job.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I've never seen an insulation package option. Second, this kind of material is far too expensive for OEM applications. I rep a company in this business and we do not even think of targeting the auto industry although I do have a few aftermarket resellers. Dynamat dominates this industry.

The industry I am talking about is manufacturing.
I used similar material to reduce sound on the production floor.
Just adding to the back of sheet metal you can almost eliminate noise and vibration transfer.
Even small amounts can help compared to entire large sheets.

I paid $800 for a lighting package.
If they had a $3-500 insulation package, I would have purchased.
I under stand the numbers have to be there in order to make sense to offer. But the GTI/R are a special market that buyers are willing to pay this extra.

Last edited:

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
One thing about Soumatrix - they completely lost me when saying you have to disconnect the A-pillar tweeters. That completely screws up the soundstage in the car, by moving the highs down to your ankles. I assume the overall quality improvement of the speakers vs stock helps make up for it, but still a flawed solution IMHO.