GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fitting Front Fog Lights.

Jon2

Ready to race!
My 2013 SE spec Golf is sans front fogs. If I buy a pair of lights and a switch that operates them, how easy/difficult/impossible is the job to get them to work? Thanks.

Jon2

Ready to race!
BUMP

Hello? Anybody there?

Surely SOMEONE on this forum can give me an answer? :-/

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
You may be able to run power directly from the battery (with a fuse of course) and install a separate switch for the lights under the dash or on the console if you just want the "look" of fog lights. Probably the best way to go on a 4-year-old car. Perhaps take power from the a 12-volt "cigar lighter" wiring if the wiring is heavy enough to support the lights, or tap into the fuse box on a suitable circuit that is not monitored by the car.

To make it "factory" will cost much more and take a lot of time. Think making or buying the wiring harnesses new or from a wrecked car, a new or used headlight switch, and possibly changing control modules and recoding them.

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
Think fitting front fogs is well doable, something I'd prob do also as I like the look, but fitting the 'cornering function' is possibly a huge 'probably not worh it' hassle....

Jon2

Ready to race!
Thanks chaps. I just want to keep it simple. I'm guessing the wiring is all there ready to connect. I'm not bothered with cornering function, just common & garden fog light function. Was wondering whether or not I'd have to have the function "turned on" at the VW dealer.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
I would check to see if there are connectors behind the bumper on each side. If there are, it is pre-wired for fog lights. I would also check to see if there is a relay for the fog lights, if there is, most likely you just need a switch and fog lights and it should also work.

Jon2

Ready to race!
That's what I'm thinking/hoping. Mk7 fog lights are fairly cheap on FleaBay, so provided the wiring/relays are all in place, it shouldn't cost me an arm and a leg to get it sorted. Tah.

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Jon: Not sure which fogs you want to install, so here's a diagram about how to wire both

Notice that the wiring doesn't involve any "Battery" supply (as in conventional vehicle circuits)- on a mk 7, all of the 35 x exterior lights are managed directly by the BCM (including electrical protection and lamp performance monitoring)

Also, you will need to fit rotary light switch with a fog-light position. The special part of this switch for your purpose will be the wire that connects to pin #4 (on the switch)- see picture below. I doubt that this wire will be installed, but the one wire is needed for both front and rear fogs (the eouroswitch has an inbuilt device that sends a different PWM signal depending on which position is selected)

Finally, you will need to make both coding and adaptation channel changes once the fittings/wiring is installed

Here's the coding change that will be needed:

I can supply the adaptation changes to the Leuchte-sets for the lamps once you tell me which fogs you want to change

Don

Last edited:

Jon2

Ready to race!
Thanks Don, that is certainly very helpful, if a little mind-boggling. LOL. It's the front fog lights I'm looking to fit. The UK SE spec in 2013 omitted front fog lights, but as Shetland experiences nasty fog on a regular basis, I thought it be a good idea to retrofit. These are what I'm after..... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OEM-Pair-...MK+VII&hash=item464b6bc33e:g:A44AAOSwwpdW-q6v Along with this lighting switch with the front fog function.... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUTO-Head...833935?hash=item4af51c044f:g:X20AAOSwAKxWWHZ0

Jon2

Ready to race!
Oh, and while I think about it... There's two positions for rear fog lights, but I only appear to have the off-side lamp working. Is it just a blown bulb, or VW penny pinching?

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Thanks Don, that is certainly very helpful, if a little mind-boggling. LOL. It's the front fog lights I'm looking to fit. The UK SE spec in 2013 omitted front fog lights, but as Shetland experiences nasty fog on a regular basis, I thought it be a good idea to retrofit. These are what I'm after..... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OEM-Pair-...MK+VII&hash=item464b6bc33e:g:A44AAOSwwpdW-q6v Along with this lighting switch with the front fog function.... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUTO-Head...833935?hash=item4af51c044f:g:X20AAOSwAKxWWHZ0

Jon: The project is certainly doable and it's not really mind-boggling! There are just a number of defined steps that need to be undertaken. If I were you, I would start be determining the extent of the existing equipment in your car to support front fogs. There are really two critical pieces-of-kit: first the capability of the Body Control Module. If you remove the B socket from the BCM and look at the pins on the BCM to confirm that pin #45 and pin #5 are physically present (on the BCM- not the socket that you removed). This will tell you that your BCM is capable of operating fogs.

Second task is to check the wiring loom on the connector at the rear of your existing light switch. The video in the link below shows how to remove the rotary light switch - it's real easy!
https://youtu.be/ZIe7PMVcyMg

Check if your current loom has the fog switch wire - I suspect not (you will likely need to run this wire

Don

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
Fully intended to fit front fogs to my Mk5 but never got around to it, identified the biggest 'faff' as acquiring original brackets for the lites. Non original lites themsslves could be acquired from Halfords for £30ish, 2nd hand switch £10ish. Pretty sure UK laws mean only one rear fog is permissable, the off-side (driver's) side so the 'rear end lighting system' is prob perfectly ok. Does also look odd to me, but hey it is what it is.

You should also know that while front fogs do look cool, and the cornering function is useful in pitch black conditions, but while they are better than nothing they don't acually make a lot of difference vision-wise in fog, just saying....

Jon2

Ready to race!
Thanks again chaps. :) It's certainly true that they don't make a great deal of difference, but it was enough to be useful on my previous car (a Citroen C4 VTR+), so hopefully so on the Golf.

Jon2

Ready to race!
So I'm still looking to retrofit front fogs on the car, and I've seen a pair on fleabay for a reasonable price, but what I'd like to know before I go ahead, is...... Do I need anything else other than the lights to get them to fit? Do the lights fit in a separate surround before being fitted to the bumper? Also, how easy/difficult is it to remove the blanking covers already fitted to the SE spec bumper? No point investing in lights if I can get them fitted. Tah :)