GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Jacking points/Axle stands

DW58

Go Kart Champion
I want to be able to jack up my Mk.7 to (a) Change from Summer -> Winter -> Summer wheels/tyres, and also to be able to work on the wheels, for example to apply sealant to the allows.

Two questions:
  1. Where to jack using trolley jack?
  2. Where to put axle stands safely?

Sootchucker

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI (2018)
Rob, I asked exactly this question a few months ago and no one had a definitive answer. On the MK5/6/Scirocco platform, the rear U shaped bush cover for the lower arm was an ideal position to put axle stands, but the lower front arms of the MK7 are completely revised, so now I have no idea.

When I collect the Golf on Saturday, I intend asking a workshop tech before I leave for advice. I want to take the wheels off to clean and seal them, so being able to do more than one at a time is ideal for me.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Clearly we want to do exactly the same thing.

I've got to take my Mk.6 in for it's first MoT next tuesday and had intended doing the same.

Perhaps we can compare notes. I'm hoping to find a Mk.7 up on the workshop lift which I can tae underside photos of.

Sootchucker

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI (2018)
Be careful with that Rob. Whilst the MK7 will certainly have lift pad points for a 4 pillar lift, they are exactly for that type of lift. I.e. the vehicle must be lifted on all 4 pads at the same time. I'm pretty sure they are not designed to lift the weight of the car individually (this came from a service tech when I had a MK5).

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the warning - I'll take that into account.

Does anyone here know already? I was fortunate last time around to be a bit longer into the the life of the Mk.6 that more information was available about such things.

PeteAntrim

Passed Driver's Ed
Rob,
I can check tomorrow of you want, i work with loads of different bodyshops so it would be know problem to check underneath to se jacking points on a Two post lift??

Pete

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Thanks Pete - I'm looking for
  • Jacking points for trolley jack
  • Points for siting up to four axle stands
I'm afraid "Two post lift" doesn't mean anything to me :confused:

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Rob,
I can check tomorrow of you want, i work with loads of different bodyshops so it would be know problem to check underneath to se jacking points on a Two post lift??

Pete

Thanks Pete - I'm looking for
  • Jacking points for trolley jack
  • Points for siting up to four axle stands
I'm afraid "Two post lift" doesn't mean anything to me :confused:

Any luck on this Pete?

Thanks.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
No worries - thanks Pete.

Sootchucker

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI (2018)
Rob, on Saturday when I collected the car, I asked about jacking and axle stand points. I was invited into their workshops and had 10 minutes with their master tech, who kindly put a mk7 up on their lift to show me the underneath.

Fronts
Jacking point is obviously the strengthened point in the sill where its marked with an arrow. According to the tech, best axel stand point is just inboard of the front wishbone inner bush where it connects to the main subframe. The subframe is a substantial piece of kit made from sheet steel and is more then capable of taking the weight.

Rears
As above, jacking point is the sill plate as indicated via the notch arrow in the sill.
For the jacking point, forward of the rear suspension trailing arm where it pivots at the body, there is a box section running longitudinally from front to rear with 2 large round rubber grommets on them. Here is where the axel stand needs to go. One tip he did give me was that as the box section was coated with underseat, to avoid the metal head of the axel stand chipping the underseat, he advised using a small block of wood between the stand head and the body work.

As it is, I'm going to remove my wheels and do this today, so Ill take some pictures and post them up for you later on this afternoon.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Fantastic - I await your photos with interest.

Sootchucker

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI (2018)
Photos as promised Rob.

Front

DSC_0960 by Sootchucker, on Flickr

Rear

DSC_0963 by Sootchucker, on Flickr

In the above photos you can see the cross member that I was talking about. I placed a block of wood on this between the axle stand head and the car underside, to prevent damaging the underseal (sorry, I forgot to take a photo of this bit).

Also, whilst I had the wheels off for polishing and sealing, I noticed that after just a couple of weeks life (my car was actually built end of August), that the calipers had the all too familiar signs of aluminum dulling and corrosion. The blurb on the GTD in the brochure said the calipers were painted, but as I suspected, this was just for the GTI, not the GTD, whose calipers are left in the standard aluminum finish.

Luckily I had some VW Red Caliper paint, that I purchased some time ago for the Scirocco and never got round to doing, so with the wheels off, I painted the calipers Red (2 coats over 5 hours). Now let me make this clear, I am in no way trying to make the GTD look like a GTI. I consider gloss black, but to be honest with the very open spokes of the 18" Negaro wheels, the calipers are very much on show, so thought Red against the white would work at treat. I totally understand if this isn't everyone's cup of tea, but it really annoyed me on the Rocco, that whilst the wheels were in mint condition after nearly 3 years, the calipers looked very grotty, and it was quite clear that brake dust had eaten it's way into the surface finish, making them almost impossible to clean like new, so wanted to prevent this on the new car.

Anyway, enough rambling - photos.

DSC_0964 by Sootchucker, on Flickr

DSC_0965 by Sootchucker, on Flickr

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Looking great - love the callipers, red looks good plus it's your car. It wouldn't have occurred to me that you were in any way trying to make your car look like a GTi - you can paint them any colour you like, it's your car.

Thanks for the pix - exactly what I was looking for. Just for clarification ... ...