GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Warning to those reusing the stock vband!

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
I just went outside to refill ww fluid and noticed my vband clamp bolt is missing!!!
I dont want to dealer a replacement, any ideas where i can get one? Im going to put a temp bolt in there for now.

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
Is this after you installed a downpipe?

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
Yes back in January, so it has been a while. My own fault for not checking sooner I guess as I live in a highly variable climate.

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
Mine closes all the way now, I even bought a new one and it does the same thing.

They tell you to use thread locker on the bolt as well... I did not but mine has not budged since install.

EF_Heynen

Passed Driver's Ed
I recommend using a new vband every time. I reused mine when I put my aftermarket downpipe on. When I went back to stock again, the vband bolt was bent and the threads were fused to the bolt.

These things take a lot of heat, and aftermarket downpipes don't always fit exactly the same as the stock part.

It is such a cheap part, might as well replace it when you change downpipes.

Morphine

Ready to race!
This is a bit of a coinkidink, I just figured this out this morning.

I have been having a problem with getting lean codes from the post cat sensor while running a catless dp. At first I thought it was the O2, as it looked (and sounded) damaged…although voltages looked ok.

Checking my dp/vband tightness every other day or so for about a week now, and it seems that this *maybe* the source of my problems.

It is kinda loose every time I check it. I have been tightening it every day now in the morning and not getting lean codes for about a week.

None of this makes any sense to me as I thought that the ecu does its cat-assessments during closed loop operation and the pipe/motor should not be moving around too much.

Anyhow without getting into my problems I would strongly agree with the OP’s suggestion that a new v-band be used with any install.

I do not, however agree that they are cheap, lol.

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20016

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Ya a month or so ago I checked mine and it was pretty loose. I assumed I just didn't tighten it fully when I installed my DP but I may pick up a new one to be safe.

Anyone know the official torque it should be tightened to?

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
Good info to know. I'll keep this in mind when I get my downpipe!

Morphine

Ready to race!
Ya a month or so ago I checked mine and it was pretty loose. I assumed I just didn't tighten it fully when I installed my DP but I may pick up a new one to be safe.

Anyone know the official torque it should be tightened to?

15 Nm

Good luck getting a torque wrench in there.

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
I think if I change the orientation so the bolt is in front facing up, I could use my 1/4" torque wrench :)

I'm surprised it's so low as well. Mine I know is tightened more than that so I'll check it tomorrow

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
Could someone please check which size/thread/pitch the stock bolt is so I can get a replacement? I don't need a $36 clamp replacement when a $2 bolt will do. Thanks!

greatoz

Ready to race!
Could someone please check which size/thread/pitch the stock bolt is so I can get a replacement? I don't need a $36 clamp replacement when a $2 bolt will do. Thanks!

M8, you'll want 50mm long...