GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

UK Mk7 1.4 TSI Cambelt change interval

ewaf88

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi I have googled but cannot find a definitive answer. My car is currently just over 3 years old and has 37,000 miles on the clock. It's the 122bhp version - Thank you

TheSwede

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf7 Alltrack/Cupra

vwman

Go Kart Champion
There is no limit in years. It says "lifetime"

"VW says the EA211’s belts are good for the lifetime of the engine. No mileage was quoted, but we expect “lifetime” to mean at least 100,000 miles"

http://blog.caranddriver.com/we-sam...en’s-next-global-four-cylinder-engine-series/

/Peter

The June 2015 VW issued Maintenance schedule for the 1.4 TSI (EA211) for the UK and Swedish Markets shows inspection of the belt due at 150K miles and then at every 18,750 miles thereon.

TheSwede

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf7 Alltrack/Cupra
The June 2015 VW issued Maintenance schedule for the 1.4 TSI (EA211) for the UK and Swedish Markets shows inspection of the belt due at 150K miles and then at every 18,750 miles thereon.

Okay. 150 000 MILES / 240 000 KM - Just an inspection if everything is fine. Then for sure I don't need to worry at all. I suppose our 1.4 TSI isn't in our garage any more then after 15 years...

240K KM - I have heard it before at my VAG dealer but never seen it in writing.
In any case it's very long distance.

/Peter

blower

Ready to race!
VW must be using that new magic rubber i have heard about, sprinkled with pixie dust that makes it last forever.

The same pixies got to work with the coolant some years ago, with corrosion inhibitors that last a 'lifetime'. That was just after the pixies did their first work with the air filters and put them on 60k mile intervals.

The pixies also managed to get to the timing chains and tensioners of the previous generation golf's - they were lifetime, never change.....unfortunately they must have used the wrong pixie dust as they failed in droves with broken tensioners and/or stretched timing chains.

If only the pixies had got to the clutch of the DSG 7 gearbox, or the clutch of a manual GTI mk7 and made that last a 'lifetime', or maybe they did and got confused about what 'lifetime' to use - maybe that of a sick looking goldfish.

My word of advice - change the coolant after 5 years, the corrosion inhibitors are completely finished by then. This never used to be a problem as the cambelts were changed at around 60k / 5 year intervals and usually the water pump with it, necessitating a coolant change. Now the belts are not being changed the coolant never gets changed and it will begin to eat at the internals through galvanic corrosion (or just plain oxidation).

As for the cambelt, inspect that at 60k and every service after....change the damn thing at 100k regardless....or go to 150k, roll that dice and see if you come up with a lunched engine.

And after a few years, change that air filter - it will black and full of dust, esp if you live in a polluted area.

All these 'lifetime' service intervals have magically appeared to make a car look more attractive, less to maintain. Nothing has changed, they have not got new special super rubbers or filters or super duper coolant, they have just realised that if it fails its so far down the line for them to care....they can just say 'hey look this costs nothing to maintain'...or screw you on their service costs when they go to service the car and the only thing they change is the oil and oil filter (and i bet that will soon be lifetime as well)

Last edited:

Mikeyd1

Ready to race!
Don't mean to bring up old thread but I was in my local delearship today and they said cambelt needs changing every 5 years on mk7 1.4 tsi. This can't be right can it , I can't find nothing in handbook about it.

ewaf88

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi thank you for your reply. When I had my car in for its 4th yearly service in November they quoted the same interval. If it goes before then it could get interesting because they've quoted me the interval so I'm going to hold them to it.

No doubt they would then change their tack and say - well we only advised you to change it every 5 years - we'd have been happy to have changed it before.

It's still a bit of a vague area in my mind. Honest John recommends 4 years. I love the car though - great engine - and so economical.

Last edited:

Mikeyd1

Ready to race!
Hi thank you for your reply. When I had my car in for its 4th yearly service in November they quoted the same interval. If it goes before then it could get interesting because they've quoted me the interval so I'm going to hold them to it.

No doubt they would then change their tack and say - well we only advised you to change it every 5 years - we'd have been happy to have changed it before.

It's still a bit of a vague area in my mind. Honest John recommends 4 years. I love the car though - great engine - and so economical.

I thought these were sealed units but guess I'm wrong so I gather another 450 i need to have planed for the 5th year service. So will need about 650 for 5 year service. It's quite alot

ewaf88

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes it is a lot - so I'm putting £10 a week away for the next year. My change is actually due in February 2018 (my yearly servicing is slightly out of synch because of some higher than expected milage one year.

I'm hoping I get another 5 - 6 years out of the car - I'm not sure what the ultimate survival age of this engine is at 10 - 12k mileage a year.

Last edited:

Mikeyd1

Ready to race!
Yes it is a lot - so I'm putting £10 a week away for the next year. My change is actually due in February 2018 (my yearly servicing is slightly out of synch because of some higher than expected milage one year.

I'm hoping I get another 5 - 6 years out of the car - I'm not sure what the ultimate survival age of this engine is at 10 - 12k mileage a year.

Good idea about the 10pound aweek thing. My car service is out of sync it's only had one main dealer service but it's only got 1800 miles on the clock ex demo.

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
As a matter of interst and poss future reference (you never know) VWtrub UK want £429 to for a cambelt change, £479 if you'd like a new new water pump too, and you would. Not cheap but comes with a 2yr parts and labour warranty, is one heck of job to do thyslef even with the right tools and prob good for the peace of mind value....

ewaf88

Passed Driver's Ed
It's always wise to have the pump and coolant changed at the same time - my cars will be five years old at this change point. I still plan on keeping it for another 5 years after that by which time we may have self driving electric cars with a decent range.

Dan84

Ready to race!
My car went in for a service and the cambelt and the tensioner were replaced

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk