GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Breaking Bad - My meth journey

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3

Hello fellow forum goers!

I've been let down by the huge lack of water/meth injection (WMI) threads around here. Coming from a mk5, I ran a dual nozzle setup with great success. I was able to run an APR 100 octane k04 tune, daily, while spraying.

So, I am starting my own thread. This will contain lots of pics, some butt dynos, and some logs.

I hope to show the benefit of spraying meth on our platform. Specifically, the GTI, running IS20 (for now). Hoping to move to IS38 down the road.

So, here's the hardware i'm starting out with:

Car:
2016 GTI S 4 door with DSG

Tune:
Eurodyne stage 2 high torque file and stage 1 DSG flash

Supporting mods:
CTS catted downpipe
CTS turbo inlet pipe
Stock Intake with AFE 5r air filter with "snow guard" removed
Stock Intercooler

Meth Components:
Devil's Own DVC 30 kit:
progressive controller
DDP5800 pump (300 PSI max)
Snow performance solenoid
Devil's Own 1 way valves (if I end up needing them)
Zoro supply (ebay) Nylon 0.25" OD / 0.180" ID tubing (400 PSI burst @ 68f)
Devils Own Nozzles
Devil's Own sandwich nozzle holder

I will be installing a single nozzle, post intercooler and pre throttle pipe. Putting it in the rubber intercooler hose, in a sandwich fitting. Pump is going in the trunk and the controller is going in the cubby under the steering wheel.

Logs:
Planning on running IAT and timing pull logs, with and without meth. I hope to see a significant reduction in IAT (at or below ambient).

As of today 5/24/16, i'm waiting on a few tanks from usplastics and the sandwich nozzle holder. I got the tubing and some of my wiring run today.

Here are a few pics to get started:

Hardware:

Controller:

Trunk (MDF plate cut to fit snug in spare tire):

Started Running the tubing:

Some of the wiring started (yellow for tank level, blue to pump, red to battery):

My favorite cutters for nylon tubing:

Lines neat and trimmed:

Pump Placement:

Through the firewall grommet:

Next to the battery:

Under the rad support:

tucked under the mount for now (till the rest of my hardware comes in):

Last edited:

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
usplastics tanks: http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23334&catid=934

Tank I picked (2 of them): http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=31881&catid=934 @ $9.56 each

drivers side of the trunk:

Modifications to the tank:

Tank in place (still need to figure out how to secure it):

It's a pretty good fit. The issue is that with a gallon of liquid in it, it's going to be exerting some force when the car turns, brakes, and accelerates. I'm going to have to find something better than Velcro to keep it where I want it.

Passenger side is way smaller though. I was originally hoping to get another one in the same way, on that side. It's a no-go.

I could put the second tank down in the lower section, next to the pump, and use it like a sump, with a sealed cap, tapped into the upper tank. We'll see. I think for now, i'll run 1 gallon and play with it. If I need more capacity, I can play with it more. I've still got my 2.5 gallon monster, but I had no intentions of giving up any more useable trunk space. My little sub takes up plenty of that by itself.

5/28/16 UPDATE

Got everything installed today. Tank is temporarily fit with a bungee cord and a strap.

Wired it up and installed the nozzle. Started with the DO4.

Ran into a little bit of an issue on a long, straight, uphill onramp.

First, got an EPC light. Let off the gas and pushed it again. 5psi and a very odd Hissing sound. Restarted the engine at a stop light and EPC went away. Limped it home, babying the throttle. Every time I got into boost, even a little, it hissed. Without boost, no problem at all. Sounded great. Less power, but no CEL.

fabbed up a bracket for the solenoid.

Mounting it

yanked the intercooler outlet pipe

made a hole in it (tight fit for the fitting) more on this later

nozzle is flush

I use these little brass flares to strengthen the push-fit connection

fit the pipe back in

boost line to the controller (tapped off the boost gauge line)

ground

12v switched

more wiring

pump mounted

tank temporarily in place

AND

What I found after my first run

didn't rip, still tight fit

made a silicone ring to seal the inside tighter

cranked down on it this time (even though the fitting is plastic)

About a thread exposed this time

cut up a worm clamp for insurance

Hope it holds this time

All said and done, i'm not really sure about this fitting thing. I'm going to end up with the throttle pipe (probably the CTS). I'll grab a stock boost hose to replace the one I cut the hole in.

Didn't get a chance to log yet. Drove fine up until the fitting popped out. No misfires or anything wonky.

EPC didn't come back either.

6/1/16 update

Finalized my tank mounting. I didn't want to puncture the body of the car, especially in the wheel well, so I fabbed up a little 2 piece bracket to mount to the inside, using 3m body panel tape. It's tight in there now. I added some Velcro to the back of the tank too, to hold it in place.

bracket to mount to inside of trunk

Velcro where it makes contact

bracket mounting area

Cutting through the carpet

extra padding on the backside of the bracket

In place

Added a sticker

Last edited:

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
Good News and Bad News...

Good News: IAT is decreased significantly and timing is advanced with meth injection

Bad News: first run (no meth) was the most horsepower I made. All subsequent runs made less power (after turning the meth on).

Setup:
93 octane BP fuel in the tank
About 82 degrees out
Big (36") fan blowing from the front, as well as smaller snail type fan blowing onto the grill.

Eurodyne stage 2 high torque file (over 1000 miles adaptation, since flash)
Eurodyne DSG tune
CTS catted downpipe to stock catback
AFE drop in filter
CTS turbo inlet elbow
Devils Own CM4 nozzle mounted into the rubber tubing post intercooler
Pump at full speed (about 200 psi at the head)
Devils Own progressive controller start:12psi boost, full:18psi boost

First Run, no meth (IAT are in farenheit)

First Run Dyno

Second Run, with meth (IAT are in farenheit)

Second Run Dyno

Run 3 and 4 were garbage, as they were run too close to the first 2.

Fifth Run, no meth (IAT are in farenheit)

Fifth Run Dyno

Numbers are super low because mustang dyno :(

I should have let the car sit for much longer between runs. Each run the coolant temp gauge pegged around 5000rpm. We did let it settle, but i'm not sure it cooled all the way.

I also logged boost (actual)

Here's the first run, no meth:

And here's the second, with meth:

Notice that when spraying, the turbo boosts less, overall, but especially noticeable as you approach redline. Peak is near the same, but the fall off is much sooner with spray.

Last edited:

josh.dsg

Ready to race!
SUBBED!

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
Sick dude. I am going to be installing mine this weekend hopefully, using the JB1 as a controller. Subbed!

B95zP

Ready to race!
Very nice! You are putting some serious effort into the install, should look awesome when done.

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
Awesome. Liked how you kinda talked me out of it but are now installing yours haha. In for the results!

Talking you out of it sort of got me interested again. I didn't want to get your hopes up until I got a chance to prove it's merit.

If it ends up being decent, i'll promise to talk you back into it.

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Definitely in for the final install. I know meth is in my future so better to learn from someone with a lot of experience :D

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
Nice setup! Do you think the standard snow or Aem kit for the throttle pipe is fair enough without having to go pre and post inter cooler?

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
I would also be curious if using something like a JB1 would allow you to not have to tune the pressure or injectors since you can change the amount of boost it adds.. so technically it's tuning, just in a different way.

When you're tuning injectors/pressure, are you shooting to run a 100oct map?

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
JB1 has a fuel pressure target of 200 bar (at least thats how its labeled in VAGCOM, seems wrong).

Anything over can cause fuel trims to get out of whack (see my issues), the JB1 meth map controls the spray volume (%) in relation to boost.

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion