GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PSA - Replacing or topping off your DSG fluid

cuper steve

Ready to race!
Thanks to Bernard at DubClinic (Sunnyvale, CA) for answering all my questions and sharing his insight on all things VW/Audi. If you’re in the SF South Bay Area, I wouldn’t hesitate to use his shop for any aftermarket or factory needs.

The VW manual has this semi-complicated method for replacing your DSG transmission fluid.
#1 - remove the cover
#2 - back out the “thumb stick”
#3 - let all the fluid drain out
#4 - let the transmission cool
#5 - screw the “thumb stick” back in
#6 - pump 6 quarts of transmission fluid through the “thumb stick” and close the valve to the pump
#7 - start the car and monitor the transmission fluid temp
#8 - when transmission fluid temp hits 40 degC, remove the valve/pump and let the excess drain out (engine still running)
#9 - when its done draining, re-install the cover.

“Fluid Cover Removed”

“Thumb Stick”

“DSG Valve Pump with

The “thumb stick” serves as the level set for how much transmission fluid needs to be in the system and then any excess will simply run over the top and flow out. In other past platforms, they found it the hard way that things were too low and simply installed a longer thumb stick to establish a larger amount of fluid.

The DSG fluid is suppose to be good for 40K miles and I’m replacing it all at 6800 miles to remove any variables.

Another option, instead of draining all the fluid (which costs about $140 for 6 quarts), you can pump a new quart in and drain out the excess. You don’t want to overfill too much, it could result in more “load” having your transmission swimming in fluid. But when you have too little, it could also result in overheated transmission code.

I can only speak for my car … but one of my biggest annoyance IS/WAS when you coast to a stop/light and the transmission downshifts, there was an audible clunk that can be felt. It was more pronounce in S mode vs. D mode and was inconsistent … happening at most stops but not all. I was told by numerous, well-intentioned people that this is what the VW DSGs do. This being my first VW and having experienced the early (crappy) E46 M3 DCTs thought that the “lower end” DSG was something I learned to live with.

I can happily say that the audible clunk and the very “un-smooth” downshifts are completely gone. I spent over an hour, driving local streets trying to find as many stop signs as possible to test it out … its so smooth and silent. It has changed my view of this car and I’m liking it even more than before.

Its not too hard to do on your own, but you'll have to either rig something to connect the pump to the "thumb stick" or you'll have to hold it while someone works the pump to push the fluid into the transmission.

Just thought I would share and hopefully it helps someone out.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
40*C is 104*F. On a warm or hot day running the new oil for few minutes should be good. You should have the fluid hot before you drain it anyway.

NCM

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
The VW manual has this semi-complicated method for replacing your DSG transmission fluid.

And what an amazingly half-assed method it is! "Pour in upwards from the bottom" — who the hell thought that one up?

Of course VW surely doesn't do it this way at the factory. They probably flip the bare transmission upside down and automatically fill it with the correct dose of fluid...except that a small but not insignificant number of owners have found their DSGs to be under-filled. How does that even happen?

As you may know, there's an alternate top fill method for servicing the DSG, but you have to measure the volume of fluid drained in order to establish the proper refill amount. This means that that you first need to be sure that the fluid you're about to drain is in fact the correct amount.

This being my first VW and having experienced the early (crappy) E46 M3 DCTs thought that the “lower end” DSG was something I learned to live with.

The SMG in the E46 M3 was a conventional manual with automatic shifting and clutch actuation hardware grafted on, not a dual clutch transmission. And yes, it was crappy. Later versions, like the SMG III used in the V10 engined M5 were better, but this architecture proved to be a dead end.

Neil

GLoBaLReBeL

Ready to race!
I notice the exact same feel that you talk about with the DSG transmission. I only have 1K on my car, but I think I'll do the same tranny fluid change at 5 or 6 K.

I actually find it odd how much the DSG downshifts when coming to a stop. I wish it would actually act like it does in manual mode while in D mode. In manual, it doesn't do that assisted braking with the down shifts as you come to a stop. But, that's life I guess and I've learned to live with it and modulate my braking as it does that.

tonipepperoni77

Drag Race Newbie
You shouldn't have to change the transmission fluid after 5k. Transmission fluid Is good for 40-50k or more. Sometimes topping it off here and there isn't an issue but there's more of an issue if you do it at 5k as its just unnecessary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cuper steve

Ready to race!
Yeah ... you don't have to replace the fluid, its good for 40K miles.

You can just top it off ... buy simply removing the cap and then pump enough fluid in and then pull the pump off and let it drain out ... when it stops, you're at the right level.

I'm just OCD, so when I was there I figured I would do the whole thing. :)

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
I think if tuned a half service interval is well regarded.

Sent from my S7 Edge

yegor

Ready to race!
I and everyone I know that have had DSG always thought the clunking noise is normal. I am experiencing the same with my '16 S3. I recently asked the dealer to check the fluid level and was told it is fine. Will definitely top it off to see if it is low. Thank you for the informative post!

MiguelRicardos

Has anybody had issues with the "ESC", "Hill Hold", and "Tire Service" failure warnings popping up when reconnecting the battery (after replacing the DSG filter)?!?

Was a little (very) freaked out with the three errors. I pulled everything off again to verify nothing was disconnected/loose. Reconnected the battery and got the same messages after I started the car. I decided to try and drive the car to see how things fell out.....all warnings disappeared before I reached the end of my driveway and have not returned. I have never had those warnings pop up before....I am at ~46K miles.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
Has anybody had issues with the "ESC", "Hill Hold", and "Tire Service" failure warnings popping up when reconnecting the battery (after replacing the DSG filter)?!?

Was a little (very) freaked out with the three errors. I pulled everything off again to verify nothing was disconnected/loose. Reconnected the battery and got the same messages after I started the car. I decided to try and drive the car to see how things fell out.....all warnings disappeared before I reached the end of my driveway and have not returned. I have never had those warnings pop up before....I am at ~46K miles.

Sounds like the system just resetting. They went away immediately

mk7gti2.0

Ready to race!
Honestly I had a horrible clunking noise on my 16 R. I just recently put stage 1 mounts in all around and clunking noise is gone all you can hear is the clutches disengage when coming to a full stop