GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CTS Turbo Inlet Pipe: Review and Install

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
Hey guys, this will be a talk/review thread of the CTS Inlet pipe. It's fairly cheap being about ~$130 and is a very easy install.

Impressions: It was back-ordered when I ordered it, but once available I got it shipped quickly from Emmanueledesign.com. Quality was typical of CTS. Great build quality and great welds. Not much to say but it seems like a very good piece.

Install:

1. Tools needed:

-7MM 1/4 drive socket
-1/4 Ratchet
-1/4 Long Extension
-T30 Torx bit w/ 1/4 drive
-Pliers

2. Procedure: (Detailed instructions can be found here: http://www.ctsturbo.com/cart/install/CTSturboinlet.pdf)

But basically all you need to do is...
1. Use your pliers to disconnect the inlet hose from the stock airbox.
2. Use the 7MM ratchet to loosen and remove inlet hose.
3. Remove the T30 screw with the T30 w/ long extension and ratchet.
4. Turn the turbo inlet pipe clockwise (towards the firewall) and it'll come off when it's rotated enough and you pull.
5. Next disconnect the PCV. This was the hardest part of the install. Basically just brute force pull it off. I used a screwdriver to help with this.
6. Transfer the O-ring to CTS pipe and reverse the steps.

Total time: ~15 Minutes.

Review:

So after the install (which was easy) I took it for a long drive since it's finally above freezing here and dry. So here's what I think... There's a bit more noise. When I say that I simply mean more noise, not a different sound, just the stock spool sound but just a tad bit louder. I was originally going to take a before and after video, but the sound is so similar it won't be worth it. It is a noticeable increase though. Now something I wasn't expecting is the actual butt dyno gains. I honestly feel like the butt dyno showed an increase in power. More so than a high flow filter. If you threw it on the dyno before and after I bet you would see a noticeable increase in power all across the curve.

Conclusion: While I hate the question "Was it worth it?", because everyone puts a different value on money, I would definitely buy it again. I still maintain that for under $250 dollars, the best intake setup you can buy is a high flow filter, snow catcher removal, and the CTS Turbo Inlet Pipe. That's all for now, thanks for reading.

*1000 Mile Update* Still working great. More sound and definitely a noticeable increase in power. I still believe that this pipe coupled with the snow catcher removal and a high flow air filter will rival the gains compared to the other top tier closed intakes.

Last edited:

JD_MK7

Ready to race!
Nice... Thanks. How long ago did you order?

Mk7VW

Banned
Thanks for the review. I gave up on explaining that there is a slight increase with the butt dyno. I think this pipe is worth it and it gives better clearance for after market intakes and the go fast bits dv..

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
Nice write up...thanks! Planning to keep the stock box with a drop-in, so this piece will be making its way to my mod list for sure. :)

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
I was planning on picking this up myself but wanted to wait for your review when I heard you got yours :D. Great to hear there might actually be some improvement with this! I want a little more noise with my panel filter so hopefully this will give me what I'm looking for

Slick99

Ready to race!
great write-up, seem like good setup with panel/drop-in filter. Are u using CTS inlet hose/accordion with the inlet pipe?

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the feedback guys. Yeah let me reiterate, after some more miles I'm confident that if you threw the car on a dyno before and after you'd see a noticeable and consistent increase throughout the rev range. I'm pretty confident that this piece did way more than the Full injen SP intake that I had before this.

As for the sound it is in no way a replacement for a full cone intake, but just imagine the stock high pitched spool sound + a couple db's.

great write-up, seem like good setup with panel/drop-in filter. Are u using CTS inlet hose/accordion with the inlet pipe?

Thanks man, I am using the stock accordion pipe. My setup is as follows: CTS Turbo Inlet Pipe, VWR High flow filter, and the snow catcher removal.

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
couple db's, db's are on a log scale!
But seriously, thanks so much. Def buying one of these soon. Maybe with the Injen evo. Who knows!

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
Would you describe the sound as a quiet whine as RPMs increase?

Either that or my turbo is finally on its way out.

pewpewpew

Thanks for the feedback guys. Yeah let me reiterate, after some more miles I'm confident that if you threw the car on a dyno before and after you'd see a noticeable and consistent increase throughout the rev range. I'm pretty confident that this piece did way more than the Full injen SP intake that I had before this.

As for the sound it is in no way a replacement for a full cone intake, but just imagine the stock high pitched spool sound + a couple db's.

Thanks man, I am using the stock accordion pipe. My setup is as follows: CTS Turbo Inlet Pipe, VWR High flow filter, and the snow catcher removal.

I just ordered the inlet pipe, and I was wondering if a drop-in filter would be worth it ? (Already removed the snow catcher.)

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
Would you describe the sound as a quiet whine as RPMs increase?

Either that or my turbo is finally on its way out.

No. I'm beginning to think your car is possessed by the devil with all the weird problems you have been having lately. I'll dress up in my race gear and sprinkle some E85 on your car while chanting "the power of Christ compels you". That should do the trick ;)

I just ordered the inlet pipe, and I was wondering if a drop-in filter would be worth it ? (Already removed the snow catcher.)

Nice man. Make sure you come back and post up a review here. As for the filter I would say wait until it's time to replace the stock filter and then buy an aftermarket filter. The filter itself was a very minimal if any gain. Much much less than CTS turbo inlet.

Last edited:

LeGti

Ready to race!
Thanks for the review!

No loss in off-idle smoothness?