GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2016 Golf TSI wheels and suspension

ModdedEuros

Go Kart Champion
From what was said here and elsewhere in the forum, and after speaking with a local VW shop (Tomas Sport Tuning), I believe I'm going with VWR Sport Springs. Regarding wheels, VMR V718 18x8.5, likely silver. But I'm not sure which will give the best, most flush fit, ET45 or ET35.

Modded Euros carries ET45:
https://www.moddedeuros.com/products/18x8-5-vmr-v718-wheels-hyper-silver-5x112-et45-57-1

ECS Tuning carries both ET45 and ET35:
https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswage...ermarket_Alloys/VMR_Wheels/18_inch/ES2723857/
https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswage...ermarket_Alloys/VMR_Wheels/18_inch/ES2723856/

ECS states on the ET45, "Aggressive enthusiast fitment. Fender rolling and slightly stretched tires may be required depending on suspension configuration." While the local shop suggested ET45, but were not really sure.

Sadly neither site carries the springs, and Tire Rack don't carry VMR rims. So it's looking like I'll have to source from three different sites for springs, wheels and tires.

Update: ECS wrote me back with, "It looks like these are available in both sizes, I would recommend purchasing the set in the link. https://www.ecstuning.com/ES2837245/" These are 18x8.5 ET45. I'm not sure how much of an informed suggestion that is though, especially since their Hyper Silver ET45 have that warning, while these don't.

Update: Yes yes...45 is obviously the right choice here. ; ) But any other related advice appreciated! Sounds like 235/40 is a good tire size for it. Not sure if I'll need spacers or not though.

Just a heads up we have updated inventory. We do carry et35's but not only are we out of stock but so is VMR which is why you may not be able to find certain wheels on our site. We make them live again once they become available

m3incorp

Ready to race!
235/35-19 is 0.39 inch taller in total diameter than the 225/40-18. Lots of pics on this site with cars that have 235/35-19.

And btw I was just thinking about 35 on the sidewall, thinking how good that looks on 19" wheels, I know they make it but never seen a set...only thing though wheel gap would increase wouldn't it...right now w/ DG springs the ride height is perfect, have about a finger-finger and a half gap from top of tire to fender.

jessiewonka

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 Golf
Well, tomorrow's the day the VWR springs (1.8 edition), wheels and tires get installed. As the time gets closer I'm a bit nervous about rub and in general choosing springs over coilovers (for now anyway).

Nice time to see the professor's new video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_JlpS_QDgM&no.

jessiewonka

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 Golf
I think my fears were for nothing, all went well. Before and after:

jessiewonka

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 Golf
I took it out for a long drive -- never once heard any rubbing. Even when initially coming home up our scrapey driveway with 8 tires in the car, I didn't hear a thing.

Sharp turns feel vastly improved -- before it was like turning through an inch of putty. I zipped around the Berkeley hills, and took it out on the highway towards Walnut Creek. It drove great.

Coming home though I did notice what I thought was a new noise, almost like a rub, but not quite, and only when going slowly in a straight line. I almost thought it was turbo whine in a way I'd not heard before, but that didn't seem right either. I looked closely at the tires and fenders but didn't see evidence of anything. Maybe it's just the different tread pattern.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
That looks really sharp.
When I got my TSI, I knew I wanted to do 3 things which almost perfectly aligned with what you have done:
18" wheels
VWR springs (Bilstein B8 shocks optional)
APR 91 or 93 tune

This turned into 4 when I couldn't stand the long clutch, so clutch stop was added.

Already got the wheels.Just Audi 10 spoke that I got a good deal on. Just waiting to wrap some tires on them (probably after just wear out the oem ones).
Was also debating 225 & 235, but just like the look of a fatter tire.

Which tire did you end up going with? I am leaning towards continental dws06

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Never mind. See it in your Sig

jessiewonka

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2016 Golf
That looks really sharp.
When I got my TSI, I knew I wanted to do 3 things which almost perfectly aligned with what you have done:
18" wheels
VWR springs (Bilstein B8 shocks optional)
APR 91 or 93 tune

This turned into 4 when I couldn't stand the long clutch, so clutch stop was added.

Already got the wheels.Just Audi 10 spoke that I got a good deal on. Just waiting to wrap some tires on them (probably after just wear out the oem ones).
Was also debating 225 & 235, but just like the look of a fatter tire.

Which tire did you end up going with? I am leaning towards continental dws06

Wheels and springs go a long way, and I think a light tint across all the windows also helps give it a cohesiveness. I'm very satisfied with the drop of the VWR springs -- they may have even settled a tiny bit more. In day to day driving, I personally wouldn't want it much lower.

As many here have pointed out, 225 on a 18x8.5 wheel will be a bit stretched. The MPSS 235/40 fit just fine.

A basic tune is going to be tough to avoid at some point -- I just don't want to fuss up the car too much.