GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Vinyl Roof Wrap DYI Tips/Tricks/Suggestions

cpatel529

Ready to race!
Anyone tried to vinyl roof wrap their car by themselves (and maybe with a friend or two)? I watched some youtube videos and it doesn't look that hard... Or maybe I am over simplifying it.

If anyone has done it... any tips/tricks/suggestions?

I have a Formula Red 2015 GTI and thinking about wrapping the roof in carbon fiber or gloss back. Thanks!

Chirag

ModfydGTI

Ready to race!
Take dimensions of the roof and have a vinyl and sign shop cut it out on the plotter. They can round off the edges to make it look better. 3M or nothing for my car.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Whispaz

Passed Driver's Ed
Friend and I just did it this past weekend. Not bad considering it was the first time ever trying it for both of us. Some creases but I don't mind.

Terrible pics since I downloaded them from snapchat

The size of the roof is something like 4x6ft (excluding the spoiler) so I got a 5x7ft 3M gloss black from Amazon and the knifeless cutting system (string inside tape... highly recommended).

First laid it on with the backing just to cut some excess off

Worked with the back half first then the front

Clean edge on the spoiler done with this
http://www.amazon.com/Knifeless-Fin...qid=1456246222&sr=8-1&keywords=knifeless+tape

Tips:

-Use heat only when needed. I was able to get the majority done without the heat gun but once it got close to the edge I needed it for stretching and shrinking to eliminate the wrinkles.

-Pull on each side. Friend was too short so I had trouble in the middle. But once friend #3 showed up it was much easier since they pulled evenly on each side (left and right) while I focused on laying it down right.

-Don't worry too much about air bubbles. I was surprised at how I was able to get every air bubble out by just pushing down on it. At first I tried squeegeeing them out but it's not necessary.

-I used a MF cloth and card to squeegee but I should have sprayed it to eliminate or minimize scratches.

-Patience. With it being the first time I thought it would take 2 hrs the most. Took about 6 hours but alomst 1.5 hrs was spent trying to figure out how to remove the antenna. Once I understood how the wires unclipped I felt stupid that I hadn't thought of it sooner.

Last edited:

Whispaz

Passed Driver's Ed
Antenna removal:
1. Back top panel pulls straight down.
2. Pull back of headliner enough to get your hand and a torx (T27 I think) and remove the one screw and bracket.
3. Remove wires. there are 3 and the plugs are color coded. I searched and wasn't able to find info on exactly to remove them.

This is how you'll find them plugged in

All you have to do is rotate each 90 degrees and it exposes the white clip

Pull that clip away from the antenna and the wire/plug comes right off. Easy!

After the wires are removed the antenna can be pulled right off.