GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Official MK7 Muffler Delete FAQ/Review Thread

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
Hey guys, so as we all know the rule for our cars is Cat-back exhausts for sound and Downpipes for power increase. For me it is hard to justify dropping $700+ for a decent Cat-back system with no performance gains. I've done a little bit of looking around and I have found that deleting the rear suitcase muffler as seen below provides a decent sound increase while being 100% reversible and MUCH cheaper than Cat-backs. Obviously they won't sound as good nor as clean as a full Cat-back system, but for the price (Generally $150-200) they seem like a good compromise. This is a thread where we can ask questions and this, and generally get a good opinion on this from users that have done it.

Stock on the left, Full system on the right for reference:

Without Muffler:

So if you have any questions or want to post a review just throw it in the thread. I think it sounds good and the resonator is still in place so drone should be minimal. Will post when/if I get it done.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Any issues with emissions inspection? Not sure if it would pass visual inspection if the inspector knows what the car came with from the factory...

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion

cafn8gti

I just did the muffler delete and have to say the sound is better than any aftermarket catback system! Absolutely no drone and had a low and throaty note on acceleration only. Cruising at steady rpm sounds stock. Downshifts sound mean. The vibrations from the sound gives it a raw racecar like feeling similar to the dogbone insert mod in front but more of it. $150 well spent at the guys at Action Muffler in Springfield Oregon.

4" tips coming in mail soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
and.... this is making me want to take off my resonator on my catback.

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
Muffler deleted GTI with a cat-less down-pipe probably wont sound that good. If I ever deleted my suitcase muffler I would probably cut the resonator off and weld in a round borla muffler.

Do you guys think deleting the suitcase muffler and the resonator and welding in a muffler helps with performance? slightly better flowing then the oem?

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
Muffler deleted GTI with a cat-less down-pipe probably wont sound that good. If I ever deleted my suitcase muffler I would probably cut the resonator off and weld in a round borla muffler.

Do you guys think deleting the suitcase muffler and the resonator and welding in a muffler helps with performance? slightly better flowing then the oem?

Stock catback is not a restriction until over 500whp or something silly like that. There was an actual number somewhere.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
My mk6 had a catted APR DP and a muffler delete, and it was about perfect. Deep tone at idle, nearly stock at low rpm (normal driving), no drone on the highway, and aggressive without being too loud at WOT

Now my mk7 only has a muffler delete (stock DP) but Id imagine it'll be about the same if I do another catted dp

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion

I've considered building a jig and selling bolt on axle back exhausts with four options:

Single exit aluminized or 304 stainless

Dual exit aluminized or 304 stainless

Not sure how interested people would be since there are local options for muffler deletes. The one I built pictured above is just 3" mandrel bends I had laying around and is welded on. Production units would have a similar to OEM style clamp for diy install (cut you suitcase off, bolt on delete. Fully reverse able if desired)