GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

rattling noise under the dash acceleration.

ctandrews

I've had my '16 GTI S 6sp for almost a month now, with the odometer just about hitting 1500 miles. I noticed that under acceleration there is a rattling noise from under the dash, up towards the base of the windshield. This gets louder when I'm in sport mode. I don't think it is the "Soundaktor" contraption, since the simulated engine noise gets louder too. it really sounds like a piece of plastic "flapping"around. any thoughts out there in forum land?

Ferrari

Ready to race!
My gf's 2016 Golf TSI had a rattling noise coming from the front passenger side. It was the fuel lines under the car that were vibrating against the chassis. Some rubber grommets fixed it.

Justin0122

Ready to race!
double check your fuel lines under the car, on my 15' GTI I was having a lot of rattling coming from my passenger side, couldn't really pin point where exactly it was coming from, when the dealership had my car on the lift the tech who was working on my car took me in and showed me the fuel line got caught on a piece of metal under my car and pulled it 6" back from where it should be.

pipsyp

Ready to race!
My UK spec GTD does it too. Dealer said they were going to have to take the dash out to investigate so told then not too bother.

It all but disappears when the soundaktor is turned down/off so its either that causing the rattle or perhaps it rattling itself.

Ive just had my MIB2 updated as it goes as I was finding quite regularly the unit would come on with a dead screen or no sound...also my digital radio dropped out quite a bit. Fingers crossed I think its fixed it :)

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
If the rattle is extremely subtle, (best description I've seen is "someone dragging chains at a distance") at low rpms, it could be the waste gate rattling as well.

seblep

The problem for me was the armrest underside panel! Sounded like a rock in a soda can in hard acceleration. When you hit the armrest with one finger, you can hear it the same?

Rattles are hard to isolate i believed it came from the passenger dash/passenger speaker... Hard to isolate when it was under heavy acceleration and had to keep my eyes on the road...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

ctandrews

It's hard to describe, but it is very obvious. I heard it when I pulled the car out of the building when I took delivery. I just though it was supposed to be there, but after reading about soundaktor I realized that this rattling/vibrating/flapping sound might not be right. the service rep immediately said it wasn't normal, almost like he has heard it before...Thanks for the ideas though, I will look into the fuel lines. I don't think it's a speaker, I only hear it when I accelerate and it gets louder in when engine noise is activated in sport or individual. if it is the soundaktor I will just disconnect it, the idea of "manufactured" engine sound doesn't appeal to me.

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI

ctandrews