GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

best place to buy OEM LED's for glove box, trunk, license plate?

perivale

Ready to race!
Seem to be a number of places on the internet selling some of these, just wondering if anyone has experience and recommendation for the best online place to buy from. Interested mostly in OEM as I want the proper fit . Thanks! For GTI mk 7 btw.

JD_MK7

Ready to race!
Last edited:

ncorrell

deautokey.com

They have all of that stuff. Personally have a couple of their products and the fitment is good and the customer service is great. Highly recommend.

JD_MK7

Ready to race!
deautokey.com = $$$$$$
I'm sure quality is great.

ali has a lot of the same bulbs for a fraction of the cost.
:)

Last edited:

JD_MK7

Ready to race!
I'm not trying to argue, but how do we know the ali bulbs are inferior? From the pic below, it looks like they are close to the same thing. I don't mind spending a bit more, but when we are talking 3-5X the cost, yeah.. something is amiss. All these bulbs are coming from the same places in China... I don't mean to stir the bee's nest here..

deauto left / ali right

gdbjr

You asked for the best place to buy from and that is deAutokey.com. You didn't ask for the cheapest :)

But while they might be more $$ their customer service is unbeatable. Either on forums or by email they are quick to respond. They wouldn't even let me order the full LED KIT for my car as it had some bulbs I couldn't use, after I placed the order. They refunded me the difference and told me what to order and saved me over $20.

Sent from my unbendable iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
I'm not trying to argue, but how do we know the ali bulbs are inferior? From the pic below, it looks like they are close to the same thing. I don't mind spending a bit more, but when we are talking 3-5X the cost, yeah.. something is amiss. All these bulbs are coming from the same places in China... I don't mean to stir the bee's nest here..

deauto left / ali right

I'm all for buying cheaper if it is the same, I got my Euro switch with Auto light sensor for 39.99 shipped from Aliexpress, same as the ones that are sold here for 85 to 120 bucks works as it should and well made.

But for lighting and stuff I would recommend Deautokey anytime.
Free shipping and lifetime warranty, great quality products, they make their own stuff not just resellers, pay a it more and enjoy

perivale

Ready to race!
I read a member's journal who wrote that he bought deautokey for his license plate light replacement but it wasn't an exact fit. It worked, but didn't fit in like OEM. I don't mind paying a bit more for something that really really does the job. Sounds like you lot are happy with deautokey regardless though? Anyone got them for glovebox and/or trunk with any thoughts? What i wouldn't want is a diff shade of light from what's already in the car -- ie more blue or yellow or something.

JD_MK7

Ready to race!
All good points guys!! for sure!

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
We appreciate this post because if one person thinks this, others might too, so it allows us to reply and explain in more detail. We hope what we are posting below helps everyone reading to better understand our company.

We test all our LEDs to work and look good in your car:
http://deautokey.com/category/leds-for-mk7-gti-golf

You are highlighting where the PCB board meets, that really doesn't mean anything. All LEDs look similar as what works, works. But what really matters is what goes in them like resistors, pcb board, diodes, and then making sure the setup works 100% error free with your car.

It is like comparing a 100w incandescent light bulb to a 25w incandescent light bulb and while they look the same, the brightness is different, to go even further it is like comparing a brand name incandescent bulb to a .99 cent store one. How is the filament manufactured, which will have the color temperature you want, and which one will last longer and be brighter? The saying you get what you paid for is very true here.

We feel the entire post is here because you feel we are buying cheap alibaba LEDs and selling them for a huge markup, trust us, we are not, the cost to manufacture with quality material cost a lot and we oversee all production and manufacturing to our specifications to ensure the quality and material is the best.

Don't get us wrong here, we understand 100% why you would make posts like this but it simply NOT true and we do appreciate again having the chance to explain here on the forums.

We get many emails daily about other LEDs not working correctly, causing errors, not looking right, or even melting housings, take a look at this post:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...-LED-bulbs-and-why-to-only-buy-from-DeAutoKey

And this email - because our LEDs looked like as another LED which melted their housing (common issue according to google search) they thought ours would too, which is NOT true, we test ours to make sure heat is directed and voltage is right in the VW - the wrong setup can cause the issue (we blacked out other company LED name as we are not here to bash any other company) :

And if you want to see national brand name comparing to ours - a customer made a post about it:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...Stage-I-reverse-bulbs-installed-review-inside!

Another unfortunate issue happened a month ago where a vendor's license plate LEDs melted the bumper of a customer, we bring this up as we get this question a lot due to other bad experiences people had with LEDs - we want to clear it up, we test to make sure this won't happen!

To recap, we understand your concern and why you are saying this and we want to educate anyone who will listen. If you see a similar looking $1000 handbag being sold for $10.00 on eBay no one will try to defend the $10.00 vs a $1000 bag as they understand what a $10 vs $1000 means. It is the same concept here, our quality and what we put into our LEDs will always matter and what will always separates us vs cheaper LEDs.

You asked for the best place to buy from and that is deAutokey.com. You didn't ask for the cheapest :)

But while they might be more $$ their customer service is unbeatable. Either on forums or by email they are quick to respond. They wouldn't even let me order the full LED KIT for my car as it had some bulbs I couldn't use, after I placed the order. They refunded me the difference and told me what to order and saved me over $20.

Sent from my unbendable iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

Thank you - everyone should know we put our customers first and our friendly staff is virtually available 24/7 to help you.

And let me tell you, when you deal with LEDs that don't work, that don't look right, or when you try to contact someone in alibaba 3 months later or have a terrible customer service experience in general, people quickly come to us to literally see the difference in bulb quality and customer service.

At the end of the day we are here for our customers and when you shop with us you will be 100% satisfied and with our lifetime warranty you have the peace of mind that after you shop with us you NEVER have to buy another LED.

We are modest and we would never post this out of nowhere, but since we are here....
We have had customers unfortunately get into car accidents where our LEDs were damaged and we replaced them even though our warranty is only for the actual LED going out.

We recently had a customer who bought our interior LED kit for one car, and dome lights for another car... A few months later he said he had an issue with one of the trunk LEDs, when we received the LED back it it was not ours but a competitor LED from the forums, but we helped him out, we replaced the COMPETITOR bulb that went out with ours because he is our customer regardless.

I read a member's journal who wrote that he bought deautokey for his license plate light replacement but it wasn't an exact fit. It worked, but didn't fit in like OEM. I don't mind paying a bit more for something that really really does the job. Sounds like you lot are happy with deautokey regardless though? Anyone got them for glovebox and/or trunk with any thoughts? What i wouldn't want is a diff shade of light from what's already in the car -- ie more blue or yellow or something.

For the license plates FITMENT: they added a clip that is not required and the MK7 only has this, and for the 2016 models, VW added less metal to the back of the bumper, there is no difference between 2015 as our license plate housing fits fine, but in 2016 we noticed the thinner metal made our license plates housing appear to fit "loose" but they are in there securely and they make a strong connection with the trunk liner and there won't be any issues.

You can go with the less intense model where you use your OEM housing.
We have many people running our MK7 License Plate with 0 issues and they are very happy.

Less intense LED housing:
http://deautokey.com/product/mkvii-gti-license-plate-leds-error-free-plug-play

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie

I had this issue with license LED but would not trade my deautoled lights.
I agree they should have fit like OE but I got them in and look great.
As far as interior lights matching.
Again I would not trade my deautoled lights.
I find you get what you pay for with LED.
Might look the same but there is more that goes into a light besides looks.
Just my thoughts.

perivale

Ready to race!
Hi Sandman, it was actually your journal that I read about the license plate LED issues :). Just to clarify, I'm not looking at alibaba or the cheapest possible option, in fact I'm happy to pay a bit more to get a good solution. Another poster is going on about alibaba.

JD_MK7

Ready to race!
We appreciate this post because if one person thinks this, others might too, so it allows us to reply and explain in more detail. We hope what we are posting below helps everyone reading to better understand our company.

We test all our LEDs to work and look good in your car:

You are highlighting where the PCB board meets, that really doesn't mean anything. All LEDs look similar as what works, works. But what really matters is what goes in them like resistors, pcb board, diodes, and then making sure the setup works 100% error free with your car.

It is like comparing a 100w incandescent light bulb to a 25w incandescent light bulb and while they look the same, the brightness is different, to go even further it is like comparing a brand name incandescent bulb to a .99 cent store one. How is the filament manufactured, which will have the color temperature you want, and which one will last longer and be brighter? The saying you get what you paid for is very true here.

We feel the entire post is here because you feel we are buying cheap alibaba LEDs and selling them for a huge markup, trust us, we are not, the cost to manufacture with quality material cost a lot and we oversee all production and manufacturing to our specifications to ensure the quality and material is the best.

Don't get us wrong here, we understand 100% why you would make posts like this but it simply NOT true and we do appreciate again having the chance to explain here on the forums.

We get many emails daily about other LEDs not working correctly, causing errors, not looking right, or even melting housings, take a look at this post:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...-LED-bulbs-and-why-to-only-buy-from-DeAutoKey

And this email - because our LEDs looked like as another LED which melted their housing (common issue according to google search) they thought ours would too, which is NOT true, we test ours to make sure heat is directed and voltage is right in the VW - the wrong setup can cause the issue (we blacked out other company LED name as we are not here to bash any other company) :

And if you want to see national brand name comparing to ours - a customer made a post about it:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...Stage-I-reverse-bulbs-installed-review-inside!

Another unfortunate issue happened a month ago where a vendor's license plate LEDs melted the bumper of a customer, we bring this up as we get this question a lot due to other bad experiences people had with LEDs - we want to clear it up, we test to make sure this won't happen!

To recap, we understand your concern and why you are saying this and we want to educate anyone who will listen. If you see a similar looking $1000 handbag being sold for $10.00 on eBay no one will try to defend the $10.00 vs a $1000 bag as they understand what a $10 vs $1000 means. It is the same concept here, our quality and what we put into our LEDs will always matter and what will always separates us vs cheaper LEDs.

Thank you - everyone should know we put our customers first and our friendly staff is virtually available 24/7 to help you.

And let me tell you, when you deal with LEDs that don't work, that don't look right, or when you try to contact someone in alibaba 3 months later or have a terrible customer service experience in general, people quickly come to us to literally see the difference in bulb quality and customer service.

At the end of the day we are here for our customers and when you shop with us you will be 100% satisfied and with our lifetime warranty you have the peace of mind that after you shop with us you NEVER have to buy another LED.

We are modest and we would never post this out of nowhere, but since we are here....
We have had customers unfortunately get into car accidents where our LEDs were damaged and we replaced them even though our warranty is only for the actual LED going out.

We recently had a customer who bought our interior LED kit for one car, and dome lights for another car... A few months later he said he had an issue with one of the trunk LEDs, when we received the LED back it it was not ours but a competitor LED from the forums, but we helped him out, we replaced the COMPETITOR bulb that went out with ours because he is our customer regardless.

For the license plates FITMENT: they added a clip that is not required and the MK7 only has this, and for the 2016 models, VW added less metal to the back of the bumper, there is no difference between 2015 as our license plate housing fits fine, but in 2016 we noticed the thinner metal made our license plates housing appear to fit "loose" but they are in there securely and they make a strong connection with the trunk liner and there won't be any issues.

You can go with the less intense model where you use your OEM housing.
We have many people running our MK7 License Plate with 0 issues and they are very happy.

Less intense LED housing:
http://deautokey.com/product/mkvii-gti-license-plate-leds-error-free-plug-play

I do appreciate your post and my intention was not to bash your brand. Just like you have every right to defend your brand! I was simply saying that they appeared to be the same. They are certainly similar in terms of the LOOKS. As was obvious in my post, I have not spoken to the quality or brightness at all, because I haven't purchased either. I was basing my suggestion purely on looks and even state that I was "looking into" the kit I linked to.

I am really not accusing you/your company of anything, ("buying cheap bulbs and marking them up"). That was not my intention or implication.

And just a FRIENDLY side note, while we are on the topic, please update your website. If you are interested in some help, please PM me.

deAutoLED.com

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
I had this issue with license LED but would not trade my deautoled lights.
I agree they should have fit like OE but I got them in and look great.
As far as interior lights matching.
Again I would not trade my deautoled lights.
I find you get what you pay for with LED.
Might look the same but there is more that goes into a light besides looks.
Just my thoughts.

Hi Sandman, it was actually your journal that I read about the license plate LED issues :). Just to clarify, I'm not looking at alibaba or the cheapest possible option, in fact I'm happy to pay a bit more to get a good solution. Another poster is going on about alibaba.

Thank you we appreciate the support and feedback.

Sandman - Very well said "Might look the same but there is more that goes into a light besides looks."

We should have probably just wrote the same thing and left it at that :D

But we want to take this further, for the photo posted of our 7440.. We have a closer look so people can better see the difference.

Red Circled in photo:
Notice solder and LED diode not fully aligned or on the PCB board, this is for 2 reasons, poor production where they are quickly making LEDs without aligning solder or machine, and they are trying to save money by using LESS PCB board material.

Green Circled in photo:
The resistors is on the base which is a bad location, you don't want the resistors too close to the electronics as it won't create good heat dissipation and could cause failure to the bulb:

To go further many companies will use less expensive solder and plastic that has a lower melting point, this can cause huge issues when you are looking at resistor issues and we seen it before from other LEDs.

We spend a lot of time researching our material such as high heat solder/plastic and correct resistor setups.

JD_MK7 - we understand and why we said this in our previous post:
"Don't get us wrong here, we understand 100% why you would make posts"...

But, we are here to explain in further detail as we feel you simply have questions and others might too so we want to get the chance to explain everything better and in more detail.

For the website, we have another company who has built our site from the ground up with a bulb guide data base - model specific area and pertains to all car models, it will be up later next year. Even though it is another company we have a lot of control over it including customer service so don't worry you won't notice any changes except a 10000% better website, we would never put our name on anything without having 100% confidence, but it is very exciting because many features people want will be available that we could not offer with deAutoKey's website. There will be more info and an announcement but we won't say much more than that. Thanks for the offer though.

But for right now, our website is very easy to navigate and to the point - all MK7 LEDs:

Last edited: