GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Diesel scandal - the consequences

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
Many comlaints I see of cars are that they do not achieve the quoted MPG especially urban cycles and especially diesel owners :eek:

I suspect this is just maths. As we know, the testing process for getting the "manufacturer mpg" is entirely synthetic and done on a rolling road not in the real world. They don't even incorporate wind resistance as a result.

Is the disparity between testbed and real world MPG on diesels, in % terms, any larger than that seen on petrol cars? Our 1.4TSi is rated at 53.3 mpg on the mixed cycle, yet it turns in ~42-45 mpg pretty consistently. That's nearly 20% different. Apply that same margin to a diesel quoting 80 mpg and the real world number should be nearer 65 mpg. It only seems like a bigger difference..

santiagopilgrim

Ready to race!
i have a golf mk7 2 litre 150 diesel registered sept 2014.Vw tell me its euro 6 compliant.This seems to be wrong compared to what iam reading,any info please.

What's your engine code? (Written after the long VIN number on the sticker of the service manual cover)

Mine is Oct 2014 and it's CRBC, which is EA288, which is EURO 6.

There are a lot of 'experts' here who don't actually know what they're talking about, haven't researched the facts and just talk rubbish.

Your car is most likely the same as mine.

Easy way to tell is, 150hp/184hp = EA288 = EURO 6

As far as I'm aware 2.0 MK7 TDI doesn't and has never come in any other HP variant, so they're all EA288...

mrsparks

yes my engine code is crbc so it is euro 6.thanks very much for reply.just one other thing,why do some engines have ad blue and others like mine dont.

Chris43

Go Kart Champion
I don't see how it has devalued a brand, those making a choice on a marque and with long waiting times I doubt purchase on a whim, again, was the emissions the deal breaker? As I don't see how that changes the daily driving of the car, for the user they are just numbers on a piece of paper. Follwing hysterical folks logic in that the customer maybe charged extra VED, does that mean the customer has to re-imburse TFL for the exempt congestion charges? (After all it works both ways).

The 'experts' are divided on what effect the scandal on resale values of VW cars. I read an article on the BBC comparing it to the recent problems with Toyota airbags. You could argue as the Toyota recall was safety related it was more serious than the emissions but it didn't have any noticeable effect on effected cars resale value. Conversely, accordingy to the Daily Mail not only will resale values fall but us diesel drivers are personally responsible for Polar bears with bronchitis.

daveo2

Good morning everybody, havent quite made my mind up yet about the VW fiasco, but i tell you what the Golf GTD has made to the front page of the Sun Newspaper (25/9/15) hahaha.

Have a good weekend

Chris43

Go Kart Champion
Good morning everybody, havent quite made my mind up yet about the VW fiasco, but i tell you what the Golf GTD has made to the front page of the Sun Newspaper (25/9/15) hahaha.

Have a good weekend

At least they pictured a GTD in the best colour ;)

Avanti

Go Kart Champion

Have a good weekend

And that isn't even one of the reported affected vehicles, typical of the tabloid. and the way they drive hysteria.

santiagopilgrim

Ready to race!
yes my engine code is crbc so it is euro 6.thanks very much for reply.just one other thing,why do some engines have ad blue and others like mine dont.

As far as I know diesel cars in the UK don't use AdBlue because it's not needed to meet the emissions criteria as they are more relaxed (more NOx emissions allowed).

It is used in the USA to bring down the NOx emissions and make diesels comply with regulations.

VW didn't use Adblue in the EA189, for what are now obvious reasons.

This leads me to think that even the EA189 will be able to pass EU regulations without the need for a cheat device, but that's for us to wait and see.

As for the EA288, It's quite a bit more advanced than the EA189 in terms of emissions, it has 2 EGR valve loops and a bunch of other stuff that is supposed to help bring down NOx. So that leads me to think that the EA288 will definitely be OK in the EU without the need for a cheat device.

Of course, VW use all the same software for all the TDIs as it has been mentioned on here, so the mainstream media who don't know what they're talking about will name the EA288 as a culprit. If what VW are saying is anything to go by the EU6 engines (EA288) have the cheat software in place but it is disabled (as they don't need it to pass tests).

Hope that helps! And just putting it out there that I am no expert, this is just from what I've been reading and making my own conclusions from facts.

ChrisK

Ready to race!
For the super hyped media the VW story is a refreshing change from the daily reporting of the Troy horse that’s making its way through Eastern Europe.:eek::rolleyes::D:eek:

santiagopilgrim

Ready to race!
Not all Mk7 engines conformed to Euro6 until build week 22 ( mid May 2015 onwards)

Are you sure about that?

My car was registered in October 2014 and has a CRBC engine, which is an EA288 engine... which is Euro6 compliant.

On top of that, it's a 148hp (110KW) model, which is further evidence that it is EA288, and as far as I know all EA288 engines are EURO6.

mrsparks

Thanks again.i hope you are right.The last thing i want is my car going into dealer to have the performance ruined i love the car just as it is.

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
Thanks again.i hope you are right.The last thing i want is my car going into dealer to have the performance ruined i love the car just as it is.

Even if it was "ruined" is just not true. It's likely to make quite a small difference..

pipsyp

Ready to race!
I wait with baited breath to see what the "actual" effect of all this will be in the UK.

I dont think my day old EU6 GTD is likely to be affected but my 20 month old EU5 2.0 TDi 150 Octavia "may" be.

Im not joining the hysteria as we just dont know the outcome yet. Regardless of their dishonesty, I still v much like VAG products and would buy another.

vwman

Go Kart Champion
Are you sure about that?

My car was registered in October 2014 and has a CRBC engine, which is an EA288 engine... which is Euro6 compliant.

On top of that, it's a 148hp (110KW) model, which is further evidence that it is EA288, and as far as I know all EA288 engines are EURO6.

You are right its a EA288 series engine but the 1.6TDI (90ps,105ps,110ps) and 2.0TDI (150PS) at launch in October 2012 right through to at least July 2014 were described as Euro5 compliant not Euro6.

It was only the GTD (184ps) model which was shown as Euro6 compliant from its initial launch.

I would imagine since launch at some stage those mentioned would have had to have adjustments made to comply with the looming Euro6 deadline of September 2015.