GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

034Motorsport - Billet Aluminum Dogbone Insert

Brolly

Passed Driver's Ed
Thinking of doing this on my DSG R but not entirely convinced as yet.

From this thread I gathered
- I need to check what version oem is currently on the car which will indicate which 1 I need to buy
- I can reuse the old bolt torqued to 100Nm

Any other advise?

I'm really worried about NVH as the R is my daily to work in traffic with a lot of stop and go.

Not sure if this is a worth while mod.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

GTISEVEN

Passed Driver's Ed

- I need to check what version oem is currently on the car which will indicate which 1 I need to buy

Any other advise?

I'm really worried about NVH as the R is my daily to work in traffic with a lot of stop and go.

Go ahead and do it buddy....you won't even know it's there.Its 50 dollars worth spending and worst case scenario it's not that big a risk($50) to take

thez99

Go Kart Champion
If you get the right version and install it correctly, there should be no issues with vibrations. Also, I would recommend using a new bolt, why not??

TheSwede

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf7 Alltrack/Cupra

Any other advise?

Don’t worry. Worst case – Just remove it and put the bolt back again.

You can definitely reuse the bolt since it isn’t a “stretch” bolt. Bolt - torque is 100 nm or 74 lb feet. I’ve had mine for a week now without any negative impact.

/Peter

RedReplicant

Ready to race!
I have the version 2 on my 2016 as well and the insert. It really make a difference, but you will feel vibration during take off especially uphill and on the DSG. Its been on for only 2 days I'm hoping it will lessen down if there is a wear in period.

My 2016 GTI is a version 2. It's pretty quick to check with a phone or mirror!

So my 2016 is a type 1. I note that both of you have PP cars - that's probably the difference.

Mk7VW

Banned
I think the factory just grabs whatever dog bone is sitting on the the shelf and have it installed. The vibration still sucks with the DSG, but its cut down by half after removing it and re-installing it. I may remove it soon and sell it since its killing the beauty of a smooth car. This insert may be a better option for manual transmission and not the DSG.

Brolly

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks guys.

I'll give it done more thought and possibly order in the new year

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Thanks guys.

I'll give it done more thought and possibly order in the new year

ECS has it on sale now, unsure how long that will be on for.

I plan to order it along with some brake pads, the ST Swaybar and some new wipers :)

TheSwede

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf7 Alltrack/Cupra
I think the factory just grabs whatever dog bone is sitting on the the shelf and have it installed. The vibration still sucks with the DSG, but its cut down by half after removing it and re-installing it. I may remove it soon and sell it since its killing the beauty of a smooth car. This insert may be a better option for manual transmission and not the DSG.

I was a little amazed when I after installation started my manual R and basically couldn’t feel any extra vibrations. My son borrowed the car the same evening and I didn’t tell him about the latest mod until later. He as well thought it was about the same regarding vibrations.

As you say “Mk7VW”, there could be some difference between man/DSG which has impact on the outcome. I get the feeling that most people on this forum who drives GTI/R have DSG….

/Peter

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I was a little amazed when I after installation started my manual R and basically couldn’t feel any extra vibrations. My son borrowed the car the same evening and I didn’t tell him about the latest mod until later. He as well thought it was about the same regarding vibrations.

As you say “Mk7VW”, there could be some difference between man/DSG which has impact on the outcome. I get the feeling that most people on this forum who drives GTI/R have DSG….

/Peter

Many unsuspecting people can't even tell that a [ Stage 1] poly insert has been installed. I put in the CTS one and my fiancé couldn't tell the difference.

Now apparently the 034 version has similar or even less NVH levels than a poly one, so I'm not surprised your son didn't feel a thing. What attracts me to this is the fact it will last life of the car.

Last edited:

tex1

Passed Driver's Ed
I have just bought a 034 insert. To those of you who find the increase in vibration minimal and own a manual transmission GTI, .. did you use a new bolt ?
Anyone with a manual GTI + insert perfectly satisfied in terms of NVH ?

Last edited:

thez99

Go Kart Champion
Hell I'm still trying to get the motherfucker off..I've got the 034 to replace my BFI stage 1 insert, and the thing is bolted to the housing on top of a solid large metal washer, the bolt is actually a larger diameter than the stock one, its 22mm instead of 21. I've tried a regular torque wrench, I've tried a 1/2" drive 20" breaker bar with the 21mm socket with absolutely everything i've got, or least as much oomph as I can muster from under the front end of my car up on ramps.

Not sure what to do aside from taking it to a shop and having them use their pneumatic on it. Hell I even wd40'd it up thinking it might've been rusted on or something even though it's only been on for 7 months. BFI must've attached this thing with liquid fucking cement when they installed it for me..

Only other thing I could try is buying a long hollow metal pipe and attaching it to the breaker bar so I can have more leverage..I just honestly felt like the length of bar I already had would've been enough =|