GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

First post! Mk7 gti, mk6 r or low mileage r32?

S_G_1_2_3

This is my first post so I'll begin by saying hello everyone!

I've had a read about on this forum & it seems like the perfect place to come to get some sound advice, don't want to bore anyone so I'll make it quick.

Decided to get a new car & was originally between an audi s3(2012) or a mk6 golf r, decided to go the golf route. After doing a bit research & looking at insurance & tax prices I've took the mk7 gti & maybe even a low mileage (30000 or less) r32 into consideration. Just wanted people's opinion who actually own or have drove these cars on which one I should get? Whichever I pick must have dsg gear box & if I choose the gti won't get anything other than the performance pack version. The car I choose will be given a stage 1 remap, stage 2 max depending how happy I am or aren't with stage 1. Any opinions on which I should get & why would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks in advance.

Just to add I currently drive a 1.8 honda civic type s, it's my first car so nothing special at all & would think any of the 3 I am considering would feel like a massive difference to me.

pipsyp

Ready to race!
Honesty a Mk7 GTI is a lot more modern than an R32.....not to say am R32 is no longer still a lovely car but the reality is the game has moved on....a Mk7 GTi is probably as quick as an R32 and will be more frugal with it...though the R32 does make a lovely noise and is 4wd.

Do bear in mind if you get a PP GTi (with the LSD and bigger brakes) then get it mapped you'll be seeing upwards of 300hp and goes v quickly from being a quick car to a bit of a weapon.

That said there is likely a vast difference in cost between a Mk5/Mk6 R32 and Mk7 GTi (you'll be paying 20k+ for an early car still I envisage).

S_G_1_2_3

Thanks for your advice mate, that was my concern with the r32, they are far too dated now & I much prefer the looks of the mk7 gti. What about the mk6 r? I've read up on stage 1 remaps on mk7 gtis & how good the results are, could the figures come close to or be better than a stock mk6 r? I'm prepared to pay around 24k for the car, just waiting it out until one I fancy comes up!

pipsyp

Ready to race!
APR mapped GTI's are seeing between 310 and 330hp with frankly silly (360/370lb/ft) increases in torque output. A mapped Mk7 GTI bar the lack of 4wd traction id wager would be significantly quicker than a stock Mk6 R.....possibly even a mapped one.

There is speculation that the only real differences between the latest 2.0 TSI variants is injectors and some internal components....I believe they all share the same stock turbo so a Mk7 R only makes more power because of its ability to provide better fueling and has stronger internal componentry....but this is speculation

Boomer719

Passed Driver's Ed
This has been discussed a lot here before. I went with a Mk7 GTI 6MT over the Mk6 R because right out of the box, the Mk7 performs very well and gets much better fuel economy then the R.

By the time you find an R for sale at a reasonable price and start to tune it, the car needs to be tuned to be at it's best btw, you may find that you are spending new Mk7 type dollars and you'll have a warranty. Plus add to this that most R models I have seen for sale show evidence of not being "adult" driven.

Plus I don't live where AWD is necessary or even remotely required so FWD works great for me.

The Mk4 R32 would be a toy to buy on the side if you like having projects in your driveway. The drivability of the Mk6/7 is soooo much better.

GOLF NUTT

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2019 Golf GTI
I have a MK6 and MK7 if you are picking up only one.
GO with the MK7 New platform, just better car all-round.
Although the MK6 is a great car. In the end get what you like best.

S_G_1_2_3

Thanks everyone for your replies, it's looking like I'm going to totally rule out the mk6 r & r32 & go for the gti. If I can get more or less the same performance as a mk6 r out of a mk7 gti with cheaper tax, insurance & better fuel consumption it's a no brainer really & funnily enough a 64 plate of the exact spec I want (white, Austin wheels, dsg, performance pack) has just came up on the arnold Clarke website for just over 23k, going to give them a ring today & try to arrange something, maybe try to get the price down a touch & hopefully be a proud owner of a mk7 gti very soon!

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
You will not regret it, I had my heart set on a Mk5 R32 as I was not keen on the Mk6 GTI's looks but when the MK7 came out I fell in love with that and do not regret it at all.

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
Well this is the Mk7 forum. What do you want in a car? Do you need AWD? What kind of MPG do you want?

Browser007200

Sg123 your making the right decision, from many years driving Porsches and all cars of interest, from late sixties I wanted a newish car that does most things well and yet is still fun, i take care of every car I own and these days Iam not a quick driver,just like cars that go where you point them and the MK7 Performance model comes close to a young boxster s i had, though the ride is not quite as tight it is still an amazing car far better than the MK 6 in every way for me and about the best car i have owned all round so far, I have a pure white with Leather and 19"santiago wheels,winter pack,,DSG whixh is wonderfull as you can play with paddles or switch to sport of you need or like to have better feel or control in gear on say B road corners etc, Xenons with adaptive round corner adjustments is excellent for older drivers as mid range these cars are quick enough a d good lighting is a must, adjustable settings on set up is great too.. Just done 7k amd insurance is cheap for me £250 pa.. MPG is a bit off though regardless of driver, more like 30/32 around town and maybe 36/39 on a run..I had a cash offer pretty close to price you state so unless its done loads of miles your not going to gain much of price but maybe a service deal? Good luck ,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
If you need awd and hate fwd lack of traction after tune, get the mk6 r. But bear in mind that, you will deal with cam followers as its an fsi engine, and you will need an HPFP if you wanna go stage 1+ or more, you may also encounter clutch slip too.

I can tell you that mk7 is a much better to drive than the mk6 gti, i was close to get an mk6 r myself after totaling my mk6 gti, but i am not regretting my decision on mk7 gti, other than personally regretting on dsg sometimes.

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
Really you can't go wrong with any of the Mk7s. The GTI and R are BOTH amazing vehicles for the price. Of those you're mentioning, I'd highly suggest the Mk7 GTI for a few reasons.

First. If you don't need AWD, a Stage 1 GTI will be faster than a Stage 1 Mk6 R.

Second. Newer tech, warranty, etc. All of the things you get when buying a new car.

Third. More buying options such as Buy or Lease New, or buy used.

Forth. I don't know how important MPG is to you but the GTI will get MILES better MPG than the Mk6 R and ESPECIALLY any R32.

Sidenote. If you do decide on an R32, I'd say get the original.

Sidenote 2. If you go with a Mk7 GTI, my thought is the following is the sweet spot for price+performance+everyday fun: Manual, S, Performance Package, Lighting Package. If you start getting too high on packages, I top of the line GTI (Loaded Autobahn is MSRP is $35,950) comes close to the price of a Base Golf R (MSRP $36,595).

Hopefully these thoughts are helpful.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
Really you can't go wrong with any of the Mk7s. The GTI and R are BOTH amazing vehicles for the price. Of those you're mentioning, I'd highly suggest the Mk7 GTI for a few reasons.

First. If you don't need AWD, a Stage 1 GTI will be faster than a Stage 1 Mk6 R.

Second. Newer tech, warranty, etc. All of the things you get when buying a new car.

Third. More buying options such as Buy or Lease New, or buy used.

Forth. I don't know how important MPG is to you but the GTI will get MILES better MPG than the Mk6 R and ESPECIALLY any R32.

Sidenote. If you do decide on an R32, I'd say get the original.

Sidenote 2. If you go with a Mk7 GTI, my thought is the following is the sweet spot for price+performance+everyday fun: Manual, S, Performance Package, Lighting Package. If you start getting too high on packages, I top of the line GTI (Loaded Autobahn is MSRP is $35,950) comes close to the price of a Base Golf R (MSRP $36,595).

Hopefully these thoughts are helpful.

This on the original mk4 r32 idea, the exhaust is just amazingly good, especially when you delete resonator, it sounds like heaven. The power however of that car is a bit outdated. Personally i love the mk4 looks a lot too. But there is nothing like a piece of mind when you own a new car.