GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Helix Soundbox VW sound upgrade HELP!

speaceage

Hi everyone,

Wondering if anyone had the Helix Soundbox audio system upgrade installed in the USA?
If so, would you mind letting me know what dealer installed it?

My dealer does not have the programmable dongle (DKS051419A) and apparently, it is on back order.
I have been waiting for 3 weeks already so I am trying to find a dealer in the USA who may be willing to lend this dongle to my dealer for a day so I can get this instal over with.

Please let me know, I'd really appreciate, thx!

Last edited:

Mettus

I ordered the box with my GTI last fall and had it installed at Appleway VW in Spokane.

Box is awesome, btw...totally worth skipping on the Fender so I could get the plaid seats.

speaceage

Thanks for the response guys.
Lucky you peekay34! The dongle does not come with the Soundbox here in the US... but I'll give Spokane VW dealership a call and see if they can lend the module to my dealership. Thx again!

hal

Ready to race!
Sorry to hijack your thread but I wonder if anyone knows what the module actually does. Does it add a control for subwoofer? Does it remove or change the HP filter that is already there? But then I would imagine it will also take control of the output to the speakers somehow?

Does anyone have more details on the helix system and how it integrates to the stock HU seeing that it doesn't really have a dedicated sub output?

speaceage

Hey Hal, sorry for the delay.
The module allows to choose sounds presets based on different car models kinda like a DSP. Instead of choosing to manually tune frequencies and each speaker individually, everything has already been optimally tuned and preset for the stock speakers and extra subwoofer. Once you enter the code for your car model, that's it. You can still adjust the Bass/Mediums/Highs on the infotainment screen but unlike most external DSP that come with a remote, you can't switch presets sound frequencies or adjust the amount/volume of sub bass on the fly.

Based on my reading, everyone who has installed this system with the proper module code was happy about the improvement from the stock system. The only complaint I read came from someone who installed it in a Jetta but did not have the code dialed in with the module (kinda make sense).

Some have also said that this Helix Soundbox does not need to be coded with the module if installed in a GTI because that is the default sound of the Helix Soundbox. This remains to be verified... I may be able to do that in the next 2-3 weeks and will confirm if this is correct.

Hope this helps

hal

Ready to race!
Thanks for the info speaceage. I ended up installing a powered sub myself with a 3sixty.2 I had that I wasn't using. Something to note is that the factory EQ is only slightly modified from flat (with the exception of a High-Pass filter set at around 40hz which I think to prevent the speakers from distorting).

I think the helix system bypasses the original amp and it then powers the speakers itself because it still needs to set that filter to the speakers (and I would assume it would probably set it even higher than 40hz).

vkkaraddi

I fitted a Match PP52DSP the GTI 7 specific harness PP AC-92 and sub woofer
Match PP8EQ 20cm
very good performance and no spare wheel loss. very less space required in boot.
No program required, can be tuned self with the program from Match with Laptop.

ColinStone

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII 2016 Match BM
I am also looking at this system. The Bluemotion cars don't have a spare wheel, so Dynaudio is not on the options list.

Can get system from Germany for €375/£265, and reckon that is a reasonable price.

Install is a bit of a pain, but nothing that I haven't done before with car audio.

ColinStone

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII 2016 Match BM
I fitted a Match PP52DSP the GTI 7 specific harness PP AC-92 and sub woofer
Match PP8EQ 20cm
very good performance and no spare wheel loss. very less space required in boot.
No program required, can be tuned self with the program from Match with Laptop.

Where did you fit the PP52DSP?

vkkaraddi

I fitted it at Yellow hat In Dubai and the position is below the passenger seat where it has a perfect place and safe.
The passenger seat is on the right unlike in UK

ColinStone

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII 2016 Match BM
Current systems, part number 000 051 419, don't work in post week 2015/21 build cars in Europe at least. VWUK tell me 2 new parts towards end of year. But don't know if that is just add ons to current system.

MAGICGTI

Just had mine installed yesterday at Lindsay VW in Dulles, VA, USA. 2015 GTI S 4-door, 06/2015 build.

Paid four hours in labor, took the tech approximately that long.

LOVE IT. Best appreciated with iPod/iPhone in MDI streaming quality music. Radio and A2DP it's hard to appreciate the Helix. Streaming at My Pony by Ginuwine at 80% volume on Spotify Premium, you're aware of the huge improvement the Helix brings.

It's so good that I'm afraid I've blown my front tweeters. Crutchfield has a Helix set but I'm researching the dimensions. Would love to keep it all Helix.

ColinStone

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII 2016 Match BM
Got a new part number from Germany for the 2016 MIB II compatible system - 000 051 419B. Available soon!