GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to - Install a Dash Cam and Wire it to Power on with the Car

SomethingNew71

TDI Pro
Car(s)
2009 JSW TDI
UPDATE JUNE 2017:

I have seen this guide a few places on other sites for other cars but when installing mine I couldn't find a good one for the GTI/Golf. This should be the same on any MK7 Golf variant but don't hold me to that!! I have also updated this with some new links to a Dash Cam that works a ton better than the one I had before as well as some updated links.

Step 1 - Supplies:

• Rexing V1P Dash Cam(Better Camera now the pictures still show old one) - http://amzn.to/2txwlpa but any cigarette lighter powered cam will work.
  • Add-A-Circuit - http://amzn.to/2sp8U0U with smaller blades for our fuse box. This allows us to tap into an existing fuse in a clean safe way.
  • Hard Wire Kit - http://amzn.to/2txM3jY Clean way to hard wire to a fuse output

Step 2 - Open up your car

Use a Nylon Pry tool or something soft top pop this open.

Closed:

Open(Ignore the already installed wires I took these pictures after I was done):

Pull your Drawer out by moderately squeezing together and pulling out.

Step 3 - Wire it up:

I chose this fuse slot for the dash cam since its only on when the key is set to accessory. So this means the dash cam powers on with the car. And turns off when it turns off. I have no idea what this fuse is for because at the time I can't find a diagram of the internal fuse box. End of the day though this circuit wont cause any problems because the add-a-circuit retains an original fuse and the your dash cam will get its own specific fuse.

Cut the clamps off the cigarette adapter and wire the hot lead into the add a circuit. Feed that line towards the fuse box. Then wire the ground end directly to the bolt in the second picture which is a really nice ground nearby.

Take the original 10-fuse out and put it in one slot of the add-a-circuit and then add an additional 10-fuse to the second slot which is for your dash cam. You can then plug the add a fuse into the fuse slot pointed out above.

After you do that you can plug in your dash cam to the whole wiring contraption. I reccomend wrapping this with some electrical tape to make sure it doesn't come loose.

Step 4: Conceal the wires

I ran my wires up the A-pillar of the car stuff it into the edge of the headliner using 3M tape and then plugged into the dash cam. I found that was the easiest way to do this but it still takes a little time. I chose to put my camera right behind my rear view mirror since that hides it really well. If you aren't looking for it you won't see it from the outside of the car.

Step 5 - Test the Camera:

I vote to test the camera before buttoning everything back up on the car to make sure it powers properly. Would hate to close it all up just to find out it doesn't have power. After that position the camera and make sure you like the view. Close everything back up and you're done!!

Enjoy all the fun events you get video of driving. Like this guy near our train tracks in Charlotte. Don't do anything stupid!:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ1TCGrD8Cs

Last edited:

160dB

Passed Driver's Ed
Great write up! I'll be setting up my dash cam, following this. But I think I'll be trying to permanently mount it (not using the suction cup). Not sure if I'll use the rear view mirror arm or just velcro to the back of the mirror.

SomethingNew71

TDI Pro
Car(s)
2009 JSW TDI
Yeah the suction mount has actually held REALLY strong surprisingly. I would like a more permanent solution though in the long run. Once my suction stops working I will be upgrading.

brokenarms

Passed Driver's Ed
Fantastic Work!!.

I was fiddling last night trying to get the pillar cover to unclip. Then I seen the air bag.

I sacked the idea of putting them in the cover due to the fact that may interfere with the airbag deployment in a worst case scenario.

Never thought of running the wire up the side. Good idea.

On the suction cap. I take my GW1 home every night from a work van, and have been using it daily for the last year at least. Still sucking like a good thing! Its a very reliable setup.

SomethingNew71

TDI Pro
Car(s)
2009 JSW TDI
Fantastic Work!!.

I was fiddling last night trying to get the pillar cover to unclip. Then I seen the air bag.

I sacked the idea of putting them in the cover due to the fact that may interfere with the airbag deployment in a worst case scenario.

Never thought of running the wire up the side. Good idea.

That was one of my concerns. With the pillar cover down you probably would have been ok but I really didn't want to pull my pillar cover off cause I'm lazy. :D

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
great post, thanks, LOVE the classic MINI !!!!!!!!
one suggestion, you can opt to run the wire down a bit more down the weather strip and you will see that there is an access to the interior instead of feeding the cable trough the access panel, that way you will never see that cable when opening the door

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 45,803

SomethingNew71

TDI Pro
Car(s)
2009 JSW TDI
great post, thanks, LOVE the classic MINI !!!!!!!!
one suggestion, you can opt to run the wire down a bit more down the weather strip and you will see that there is an access to the interior instead of feeding the cable trough the access panel, that way you will never see that cable when opening the door

I am secretly trying to put my classic mini in every post I make on here! Hahaha. Good looking out though I will reroute the wire when I get some motivation a coming weekend. Hahaha

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Hahaha don't blame you, my friend is restoring a 78 I think it will be ready next month, I need to get one of those lol.

roy2535

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey Everyone,

I have seen this guide a few places on other sites for other cars but when installing mine I couldn't find a good one for the GTI/Golf. This should be the same on any MK7 Golf variant but don't hold me to that!!

Step 1 - Supplies:

• Dash Cam of your Choice in this install I used the G1W(http://goo.gl/cS5X9p) but any cigarette lighter powered cam will work. FYI I have been hearing issues with fake G1W's from amazon so make sure you get from a legit seller
  • Add-A-Circuit(http://goo.gl/ojiJCE) with smaller blades for our fuse box. This allows us to tap into an existing fuse in a clean safe way.
  • Clip-On and Cigarette Lighter Adapter(http://goo.gl/XxCIKA) this allows us to avoid cutting up our dash cam wiring. Don't worry those clips will be cut off of this adapter and wired directly.

Step 2 - Open up your car

Use a Nylon Pry tool or something soft top pop this open.

Closed:

Open(Ignore the already installed wires I took these pictures after I was done):

Pull your Drawer out by moderately squeezing together and pulling out.

Step 3 - Wire it up:

I chose this fuse slot for the dash cam since its only on when the key is set to accessory. So this means the dash cam powers on with the car. And turns off when it turns off. I have no idea what this fuse is for because at the time I can't find a diagram of the internal fuse box. End of the day though this circuit wont cause any problems because the add-a-circuit retains an original fuse and the your dash cam will get its own specific fuse.

Cut the clamps off the cigarette adapter and wire the hot lead into the add a circuit. Feed that line towards the fuse box. Then wire the ground end directly to the bolt in the second picture which is a really nice ground nearby.

Take the original 10-fuse out and put it in one slot of the add-a-circuit and then add an additional 10-fuse to the second slot which is for your dash cam. You can then plug the add a fuse into the fuse slot pointed out above.

After you do that you can plug in your dash cam to the whole wiring contraption. I reccomend wrapping this with some electrical tape to make sure it doesn't come loose.

Step 4: Conceal the wires

I ran my wires up the A-pillar of the car stuff it into the edge of the headliner using 3M tape and then plugged into the dash cam. I found that was the easiest way to do this but it still takes a little time. I chose to put my camera right behind my rear view mirror since that hides it really well. If you aren't looking for it you won't see it from the outside of the car.

Step 5 - Test the Camera:

I vote test the camera before buttoning everything back up on the car to make sure it powers properly. Would hate to close it all up just to find out it doesn't have power. After that position the camera and make sure you like the view. Close everything back up and you're done!!

Enjoy all the fun events you get video of driving. Like this guy near our train tracks in Charlotte. Don't do anything stupid!:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ1TCGrD8Cs

Thanks for the great write up!
I purchased a few add-a-circuits and will be following your instructions on installation.

However, I just have a few questions regarding the set (sorry, total noob here).
1. When you insert the add-a-circuit to the fuse box, you mentioned that you retained the original fuse while adding another one for the dash cam. I am just wondering won't one fuse be enough? My logic is that since you are basically tapping into the power source of the original circuit, so you will just need the add-a-circuit for the wiring, without needing the additional fuse.

2. If two fuses are actually needed, which one will be the original fuse? I.e. which of the 2 slots did you insert the original fuse into and which slot is for the dash cam fuse? Does it matter which slot the fuses are inserted into? Also, do both fuses have to be of the same Amp rating?

Thanks a lot!
Chris

brokenarms

Passed Driver's Ed
There is also a fuse in the power plug of that dash cam. If you unscrew the chrome tip, you will reveal a 1 amp fuse which is spring loaded.

SomethingNew71

TDI Pro
Car(s)
2009 JSW TDI
Thanks for the great write up!
I purchased a few add-a-circuits and will be following your instructions on installation.

However, I just have a few questions regarding the set (sorry, total noob here).
1. When you insert the add-a-circuit to the fuse box, you mentioned that you retained the original fuse while adding another one for the dash cam. I am just wondering won't one fuse be enough? My logic is that since you are basically tapping into the power source of the original circuit, so you will just need the add-a-circuit for the wiring, without needing the additional fuse.

2. If two fuses are actually needed, which one will be the original fuse? I.e. which of the 2 slots did you insert the original fuse into and which slot is for the dash cam fuse? Does it matter which slot the fuses are inserted into? Also, do both fuses have to be of the same Amp rating?

Thanks a lot!
Chris

Hey I think I can answer your questions see below. :)

1. While it's probably accurate that you wouldn't need a second fuse the only way those add a circuits work is to use an additional fuse. Without the fuse in the slot the circuit doesn't get completed. So you need one simply for the sake of the add-a-circuit requiring one.

2. Now this I don't remember. Take a look at the original documentation in the add-a-circuit kit. It should indicate which one is the original circuit and which is the new. If you are using two 10amp fuses like I did above it doesn't really matter since they are the same. But if you tap into a nother circuit for whatever reason that has a different fuse you will need to look this info up on the add-a-circuit box.

Hope this helps!!

miko427

Passed Driver's Ed
What did you use to connect the ground lead to that bolt? And how did you connect the that adapter to the ground lead from the 12v adapter?

SomethingNew71

TDI Pro
Car(s)
2009 JSW TDI
What did you use to connect the ground lead to that bolt? And how did you connect the that adapter to the ground lead from the 12v adapter?

To connect the ground lead to the 12v adapter I used a butt connector. The blue size fit this. You need a wire crimper and stripper in order to connect the wires.

To connect the wire to the grounded bolt I used this crimp connector.

TheDoc46

Ready to race!
thanks dude, i'll be trying this soon enough for my recently purchased dashcam.. Costco CDR840, only $85 at Costco, and from what I've seen it does everything i need it too.