GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BMC Air Filter

EB2429

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTi 7.5
I contacted a few filter manufacturers and have settled on trying a BMC replacement filter. for a short period of time and thought i would let ppl know what it is like for a simple drop in filter

Why choose BMC?
I wouldn't touch K&N even though we sell them where I work, i donn't like the oil in the bags they are supplied with as it seems to be soaked in it, also when held up to the light the gapping holes in the filter media scare me. I could have gone for the VWRacing (ITG foam filter) but after speaking to ITG I wasn't confident the vague claim was worth buying one. (see response from ITG below).
ITG email response
In normal European road use, the filter will achieve an efficiency well in excess of 99% and remove a very high proportion of particles down to 3 microns and a good proportion below that. In very dusty conditions the efficiency may drop off a little, possibly to around 97%, with the particle size drifting up towards 5 microns.

Best regards,

JR make a very good cotton filter to 2 microns and 99% efficiency, and have had some good reviews but I settled on the BMC due to its use in road applications from the factory, they state (everything above 7 microns is filtered out ). Some OEM filters filter everything above 10 microns so its in the zone of acceptability for a try.

BMC are fitted to a lot of motorsport and with the changing engine rules in F1 these engines need to last many races, and many hours of inducting high volumes of air. I understand some forms of motorsport strip engines down quickly and appreciate the slightly false claims of "if it's good enough for motorsport its good enough for me". However 2 of my favourite road cars I believe also have them fitted as standard from the factory, and this is the main reason i settled with BMC. In my eyes If Porsche and BMW think its usable and meets standards of filtration in a moderate climate I am happy. Obviously the VW Golf range needs to be suitable for every climate and condition, and so they fit a 1 type filter to cover all possibilities from the factory. Where as the CSL and RS4.0 are likely to be used in a moderate climate and perhaps the manufacturers chose BMC for this reason, OR perhaps they just liked the colour:D

BMW M3 CSL with BMC filter
Porsche RS4.0 with 2x BMC filters

Don't get me wrong I haven't fitted this to claim any performance improvement but thought I would share my thoughts. For a start there is ZERO oil anywhere in the bag, this filter is pre-oiled and made (according to the stamp) 28-04-2015. This straight away gives me some confidence of the level of care that goes into the product. no oil seeping out of the bag, unlike K&N which are always swimming in oil and sometimes remnants of leakage in the cardboard box. It's nice to see a production date so you know the filter hasn't sat around for 2 years. The filter is heavy, solid and the rubber moulding surround feels very robust, holding it up to the light shows a consistent weave structure. It fits the air box perfectly and without any need to force the filter into position. (my sound baffle is removed from under the filter inside the air box). If any one is interested in a replacement filter I hope this helps.

basic fitting instructions and stickers are supplied, where it states that it needs to be washed and re-oiled approx every 25,000km

Not very relevant to the filter I picked up, but if you have never heard of BMC, see below for BMC wins this year

MOTO GP ONE Monster Energy Grand Prix de France 17/05/2015
1st Jorge Lorenzo
2nd Valentino Rossi

FIA F.1 CHAMPIONSHIP Gran Premio De España Pirelli 2015 10/05/2015
BMC's Results
1st BMC equipped
2nd BMC equipped
3rd BMC equipped
4th BMC equipped
5th BMC equipped

MOTO GP ONE Gran Premio bwin de España 03/05/2015
1st Jorge Lorenzo

3rd Valentino Rossi
MOTO GP ONE Gp Red Bull De La Republica Argentina 19/04/2015
BMC's Results:
1st Valentino Rossi

FIA GT CHAMPIONSHIP Gp Bahrain - Manama 19/04/2015
BMC's Results
1st BMC equipped
2nd BMC equipped
3rd BMC equipped
4th BMC equipped
5th BMC equipped

FIA F.1 CHAMPIONSHIP GP China - Shanghai 12/04/2015
BMC's Results
1st BMC equipped
2nd BMC equipped
3rd BMC equipped
4th BMC equipped
5th BMC equipped
6th BMC equipped
7th BMC equipped

RALLY Rally Guanajuato México 05/03/2015
BMC's Results:
1° BMC equipped

RALLY Rally Sweden 12/02/2015
BMC's Results:
1° BMC equipped

RALLY Rally Montecarlo 22/01/2015
BMC's Results:
1° BMC equipped

Attachments

• 911 gt3 rs 40 engine air filter box cup motorsport.jpg
    911 gt3 rs 40 engine air filter box cup motorsport.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 807
  • 6399442983_aa24e6da74_b.jpg
    6399442983_aa24e6da74_b.jpg
    531.4 KB · Views: 804
  • P1010862.JPG
    P1010862.JPG
    662 KB · Views: 820
  • P1010864.JPG
    P1010864.JPG
    754.9 KB · Views: 849
  • P1010865.JPG
    P1010865.JPG
    608.6 KB · Views: 1,302
Last edited:

MeatCat

Ready to race!
That's a lot of research!
Did you consider the aFe filter?
It looks as though they actually tested how much the filter flows vs stock paper filter.
4## stock 6## aFe.

LeGti

Ready to race!
Now that's a writeup! Thanks :)

Had BMC filters on two cars, one off-roader and one motorcycle. Loved them all, solid quality.

EB2429

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTi 7.5
That's a lot of research!
Did you consider the aFe filter?
It looks as though they actually tested how much the filter flows vs stock paper filter.
4## stock 6## aFe.

I didn't consider one of those, as I was only looking at a few filter manufacturers I could source in the UK. If you have any info you are more than welcome to post it here, the more info the better :)

EB2429

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTi 7.5
Now that's a writeup! Thanks :)

Had BMC filters on two cars, one off-roader and one motorcycle. Loved them all, solid quality.

Yeah it is very good quality.

Did a road test last night and you definitely can hear more induction noise, I also have the soundaktor removed so my intake/engine is the noise I here and not a speaker. Normal driving is unchanged and motorway cruising also remains the same, only when you press the loud pedal to the floor do you realise the change in pitch and volume. For me thats a nice solution to the subtle long distance driving character I want to keep, and fast back road noise/feedback I am looking for.

phaphaphooey

Ready to race!
I never saw the point in the significant price delta of a BMC vs a K&N filter since in the US they are several times more expensive than a K&N. I do understand your concern with K&N and oiling however. I have never had a problem personally and especially would not be worried since the GTI doesn't have a MAF to foul (uses MAP instead) but I see your concern all the same.

DRS1

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm also a fan of the bmc.
Did you feel an improvement in engine response?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

EB2429

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTi 7.5
Well I hate to comment on something like that as I think its likely to be placebo, as the greater sound you can hear will always add to the effect, but it does appear to be more lively when jumping on the throttle. I would like data and wish i had some flow measurement before and after fitting to see pressure loss.

Last edited:

MeatCat

Ready to race!
I didn't consider one of those, as I was only looking at a few filter manufacturers I could source in the UK. If you have any info you are more than welcome to post it here, the more info the better :)

I see, well here is a link, basically they flowed the stock filter at 400 cfm and their filter at 600 cfm. I'm wondering: what is the restriction on the stock intake, the filter? or the or the airbox assembly?

http://afepower.com/shop/details_ne...W&model=GTI&year=2015&engine=2.0L&&brandID=59

EB2429

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTi 7.5
I see, well here is a link, basically they flowed the stock filter at 400 cfm and their filter at 600 cfm. I'm wondering: what is the restriction on the stock intake, the filter? or the or the airbox assembly?

http://afepower.com/shop/details_ne...W&model=GTI&year=2015&engine=2.0L&&brandID=59

CHHB or CHHA, even though I do not know what the dfferences are between the two.

Thanks Meatcat,

@psygieda I have a GTI PP and it is CHHA if I remember correctly

EB2429

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTi 7.5
FYI

Casual as you like, Alessandro replied again, some 13 days later lol

Alessandro Galletti ~ Area Manager
Headquarter: Via Roslè, 115. 40059 Medicina (BO) – Italy

The filtration rate of BMC filters is the following: we guarantee to stop 99% of particels until the size of 7 micron, while OEM paper filters stop particels until 10 micron only.

In terms of performance, our tests show that our filters have -50% of pressure drop. This means that the air reaches the engine colder and faster, giving better performance to the car.

GTI OYEA

Hello EB2429,

Where did you get you BMC air filter from I'm looking to replace mine and I'm looking high and low for this type but have no luck.

Thanks in advance