GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > Golf Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 12-07-2017, 08:43 AM   #18
ChrisTsi

Drives: Golf 2016 1.8 TSI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonderd View Post
I mean is we get is38 access I will splurge and get a new clutch and full exhaust for my car... there goes my OEM+ look
is38 so much lag forsure... my IS20 feels a bit lagger in the lower rpms below 2K, where my is12 had more torque... thats expected the is38 probably pulls like a train after 3k ish...
Old 12-07-2017, 11:13 AM   #19
crxgator

Drives: Vans Authentic
Quote:
I mean is we get is38 access I will splurge and get a new clutch and full exhaust for my car... there goes my OEM+ look

You can easily keep it oem+: gut a gti downpipe, mate it to a gti midpipe and use your stock golf muffler but open it up and convert it to 2.5" piping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crxgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:12 PM   #20
SK VeeDubR

Drives: MKVII R / MK7 1.8TSI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade3562 View Post
The problem is the trans can't take it. Mine died with honor on the track at merely stage 2. The tq/hp is too much. Once the 6 speed swap is done we'll find out what gear failed. I'll keep you posted, but hoping to do an IS38 once I 6 speed swap. (Which may happen as soon as next weekend if this guy buys my Mk1!!!!!)
DO IT!!!

Check out my 1.8T car journal - The CHIMERA - if you like OEM+!
SK VeeDubR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:38 PM   #21
Bonderd

Drives: 2015 S3 and 2015 Golf TSI
Quote:
The problem is the trans can't take it. Mine died with honor on the track at merely stage 2. The tq/hp is too much. Once the 6 speed swap is done we'll find out what gear failed. I'll keep you posted, but hoping to do an IS38 once I 6 speed swap. (Which may happen as soon as next weekend if this guy buys my Mk1!!!!!)
Do you know whats involved with the 6 speed swap? I see a 2016 GTI with 17k miles for $800 on ebay. If its a simple trans/clutch swap. I may be so inclined to do that myself.

On a side note I will probably never track/race my car. I really just drive back road's around CT. I had an APR stage 1 MK7 GTI that I essentially traded in for the S3, that was pretty much perfect as far as power( probably too much actually)

2015 S3 Prestige | Sepang Blue | Stock
Bonderd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:16 PM   #22
TwinDad

Drives: 2016 sportwagen
Quote:
What exactly broke on your trans though? The is38 is not going to make any more torque than the is20. Plus it will be a little higher in the range
Old 12-07-2017, 09:03 PM   #23
Bäsemödel

Drives: 15 Golf TSi
How come the tune is only available for the all track? Because it has a DSG whereas the golf has a tiptronic? Other than that, idk of a difference between the cars.

Wonder if you stacked the JB4 with the st1, IS20, DP (at that point, likely IC and intake as well) you would get similar levels of power as a “st2” golf.
Helix UUs w/HIDs//deAuto LEDs//Maxton Lip//GTI Skirts//Center Exit Exhaust//aFe Dry Filter//JB4//OEM Hatch Spoiler//18” Peelers//Magnaflow Catback//CTS Dogbone//GTI PP RSB//VWR Springs//HELIX Subwoofer//OBD11 Coding//OEM Add Ons - adding fogs/footwells is possible!
Bäsemödel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:12 PM   #24
TwinDad

Drives: 2016 sportwagen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bäsemödel View Post
How come the tune is only available for the all track? Because it has a DSG whereas the golf has a tiptronic? Other than that, idk of a difference between the cars.

Wonder if you stacked the JB4 with the st1, IS20, DP (at that point, likely IC and intake as well) you would get similar levels of power as a “st2” golf.
You have potential for more power with just a JB4. The JB4 doesn't stack well on certain tunes because some tunes run more boost and less timing. Stacking allows you to add more boost, but you can't get the timing back. Unitronic seems to follow the stock timing curve and they only peak around 22 psi on their is20 tune. They also keep the peak lower than the actual range if the is20. It's a good tune to stack on. It's not cheap though. Using just the JB4 will also get you that same timing, but doesn't have the speed limiter removed. Both the uni tune and the JB4 can also take advantage of upgrading to golf R injectors. They have more room to add further boost with more ethanol. You can run e40+ at 26-27 psi with some great timing advance to go with it. The timing is making the power without having to spin the turbo over 28psi
Old 12-13-2017, 09:19 PM   #25
Bonderd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arin@APR View Post
You'll be pleased to know our IS20/IS38 tuning is being wrapped up for the Golf FWD platform vehicles. It's not something we'll have covered by APR Plus, but it'll be avaialble! I anticipate I'll be releasing that after the new year, given my vacation schedule.

So this happend today Time to buy those IS20/IS38's!

Old 12-14-2017, 06:18 AM   #26
SK VeeDubR

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arin@APR View Post
You'll be pleased to know our IS20/IS38 tuning is being wrapped up for the Golf FWD platform vehicles. It's not something we'll have covered by APR Plus, but it'll be avaialble! I anticipate I'll be releasing that after the new year, given my vacation schedule.

So this happend today Time to buy those IS20/IS38's!
IS20 has been on standby Arin, now take my money!!!

Old 12-14-2017, 07:19 AM   #27
Blade3562

Drives: 2015 Golf LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK VeeDubR View Post
IS20 has been on standby Arin, now take my money!!!
Well there goes the rest of the money from my Mk1 lol. Was quoted at 3k for all the parts plus install at smith vw.
Blade3562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:53 PM   #28
Bonderd

Quote:
Well there goes the rest of the money from my Mk1 lol. Was quoted at 3k for all the parts plus install at smith vw.

Is this for is20/is38 install???

Old 12-15-2017, 07:06 AM   #29
Blade3562

Drives: 2015 Golf LE
Quote:
Is this for is20/is38 install???
IS38 including latest revision turbo, software(awd pricing) and labor.

As for what failed in my 5 speed we'll find out soon. There's at least 30 chunks from teeth as well as lots of smaller shavings and bits. It also just dumps fluid straight through out the input shaft. Most likely one of those chunks trashed the input shaft seal.
Blade3562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 12:09 PM   #30
SK VeeDubR

Quote:
IS38 including latest revision turbo, software(awd pricing) and labor.

As for what failed in my 5 speed we'll find out soon. There's at least 30 chunks from teeth as well as lots of smaller shavings and bits. It also just dumps fluid straight through out the input shaft. Most likely one of those chunks trashed the input shaft seal.
Damn!!

Old Today, 01:40 AM   #31
Bonderd

Just bought my IS20 for $250 shipped. Going to order the gasket kit and install over winter break. I may end up being one of APR's first customers for the new tune ��