GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocrossing / Driving Techniques

Old 04-13-2015, 04:01 AM   #52
RjRacing

Drives: 15' GTI PP/LP & 700HP+ 05' Evo
Yeah, I'm in STU class. I'm not really looking to compete with this car but just have a good time. To be 100% honest, a stock PP GTI could easily hang with me on these courses as I spun through about 1/3 of the course due to all the extra unneeded power. The PP GTI is going to be the car to beat in GS this season, just watch. Rear end steps out so nicely too, it kicked out on every turn lol. I know someone kept recording my car during the event, I'm trying to find out who is was so you can see it from the outside.
RjRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 05:33 AM   #53
TecklenburgVW

Drives: 2015 Golf R w/ Tech Tornado Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRacing View Post
I know someone kept recording my car during the event, I'm trying to find out who is was so you can see it from the outside.
Stalker alert!

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
TecklenburgVW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 05:43 AM   #54
farcyde07gti

Drives: r
Can anyone confirm the R would be DS? I see the old R and R32 were D Stock. I didn't see the new one on the 2015 classing pdf.

Apologies for asking here since it is clearly a GTI Solo thread.
Old 04-13-2015, 03:20 PM   #55
RjRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TecklenburgVW View Post
Stalker alert!
LMAO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by farcyde07gti View Post
Can anyone confirm the R would be DS? I see the old R and R32 were D Stock. I didn't see the new one on the 2015 classing pdf.

Apologies for asking here since it is clearly a GTI Solo thread.
Considering the 2015 S3 was bumped up to BS class this season, the Golf R will probably be in BS as well. Sorry, but it doesn't stand a chance there with the cars in that class lol.
Old 04-13-2015, 03:30 PM   #56
farcyde07gti

Drives: r
I know
Old 04-13-2015, 07:16 PM   #57
CarlosCanizares

Drives: 2016 Volkswagen Golf R
Quote:
Rear end steps out so nicely too, it kicked out on every turn lol.
VAGCOM-disabled ESC or stiffer rear sways...or?
Old 04-13-2015, 09:23 PM   #58
RjRacing

Stiffer rear sway and XDS+ make the rear end dance like crazy... in a good way though, it never felt completely out of control. I took a competitive Miata driver around the course once and he said my rear-end spent twice as much time hanging out as his car lol.
Old 04-17-2015, 06:27 PM   #59
solort

Drives: GTI
How much legal negative camber can you get for GS in the Mk7 GTI PP? and is the rear adjustable?
solort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 05:46 AM   #60
RjRacing

Rear has a ton of adjustment, the front has none. At stock height you may have -.5 to -.6 degrees, with springs you can get -.8 to -1 or up to -1.2 with some manipulation of the bolts. For an ideal track setup you need camber plates at negative 2-3.5 degrees of front camber... unfortunately no one makes camber plates yet (without a coilover purchase) and that would obviously put you in a class well above GS.
Old 04-18-2015, 06:13 PM   #61
whackamac

Drives: '15 Stage 2 FBO GTI
I agree. I went to -1.1 in the rear and maxed the front with my H&R's.

As far as class w/camber plates, you would probably go ST(U/X) if you have no tune or DSP if you have a tune (turbo pressure manipulation (tune) puts you directly into Street Prepared).

I did an AutoX enduro at the end of March, and other than my inability to get the course straight, the GTI did admirably better than when I AutoX'ed in the fall before I tuned/ESC defeated. If my confusion didn't throw me off course (first time ever), I would have most likely won. The car is definitely faster than my old Stage 2+ Focus ST.

Our track is a dual purpose track for autoX and go-carts. We have no cones other than blocking course directions.

On that, the GTI is indeed a track beast.

Our next autoX is tomorrow. I will be staying on the track for this one...
'17 GTI Sport DSG|5150 Racing Tune|APR TCU|CTS FMIC|CTS Throttle/Outlet Pipes|CTS TMD/TI|Injen Intake|DV+|CTS -Cat Turboback|ST XTA|H&R RSB|Neuspeed Endlinks|Eurocom F/R Braces|USP Brake Lines/Motul600|Revo Torque Mount|Stud Kit|Schroth 4 Point|
whackamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 04:44 AM   #62
irally

Drives: 2015 GTi PP, Y2K Miata, 2012 Ram
Hi All,
Just wondering if anyone is running GS in SCCA SoloII, and if so what have you done to your GTI?

I just picked up a CSG 2door PP, so everything is stock including Bridgestone S001 tires, and was thinking a 25 mm rear sway bar and an alignment with as much negative camber as possible in front with 1/4 " total toe out and -1.5 deg negative camber in the rear.

Thoughts?

Dave
irally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 03:12 PM   #63
Goingnowherefast

Drives: 16 GTI S, 91 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by irally View Post
Hi All,
Just wondering if anyone is running GS in SCCA SoloII, and if so what have you done to your GTI?

I just picked up a CSG 2door PP, so everything is stock including Bridgestone S001 tires, and was thinking a 25 mm rear sway bar and an alignment with as much negative camber as possible in front with 1/4 " total toe out and -1.5 deg negative camber in the rear.

Thoughts?

Dave
I'll let one of the other track guru's go more in-depth but that seems like a good starting point. I will say some better tires will be an absolute must if you want to be competitive, but other than that looks good. Mess around with alignments to your liking, but generally people (me included) like as much possible negative camber in the front as you can get.

New to Golf MK7? We will show you the light. Start here: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18297
Goingnowherefast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 05:18 PM   #64
RacingManiac

Drives: Night Blue Metallic PP GTI 2dr 6MT
Which I doubt you can get any, if its anything like MK6s...VW's strut mount don't have a lot to give side to side...

All you can do for GS, is rear bar, alignment, shocks(2 external adjustment maximum), lighter catback, brake pads, and lighter wheels(same stock width) with maybe wider tires.

You probably don't need a whole lot of rear camber. I went zero toe all around(just because dailying worry with front toe out). and about 1 deg of rear camber with my bar on my MK6.

My MK7 schedule is significantly delayed, probably won't happen at all this season.
RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 05:19 PM   #65
RacingManiac

Quote:
Rear has a ton of adjustment, the front has none. At stock height you may have -.5 to -.6 degrees, with springs you can get -.8 to -1 or up to -1.2 with some manipulation of the bolts. For an ideal track setup you need camber plates at negative 2-3.5 degrees of front camber... unfortunately no one makes camber plates yet (without a coilover purchase) and that would obviously put you in a class well above GS.
Can't do springs in GS neither
Old 05-18-2015, 06:08 AM   #66
whackamac

Drives: '15 Stage 2 FBO GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by irally View Post
Hi All,

Thoughts?

Dave
You will have 1.2 deg negative camber in the front. Thats it. I am maxed. I think we got 1.3 out of the rear. You will want a rear sway bar, and an ESC defeat. Remember, if you tune, you go straight to DSP class.
'17 GTI Sport DSG|5150 Racing Tune|APR TCU|CTS FMIC|CTS Throttle/Outlet Pipes|CTS TMD/TI|Injen Intake|DV+|CTS -Cat Turboback|ST XTA|H&R RSB|Neuspeed Endlinks|Eurocom F/R Braces|USP Brake Lines/Motul600|Revo Torque Mount|Stud Kit|Schroth 4 Point|
whackamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 01:45 PM   #67
Swede

Drives: MK7 DSG
What are the chances a mk7 gti GS'er has done the shock upgrade?
what are our options... koni, custom penske?
Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 02:45 PM   #68
RacingManiac

Off the shelf, Bilstein HD, Koni Yellow(or FSD or STR.T). I don't know whatelse.

Some degree of custom work, Revalved HDs, revalved Koni Yellow(convert to double adjustable), custom from Koni 8611 Inserts(possibly, I know available to FoST) with stock strut, custom from JRZ inserts(ditto).

That's my winter project. Probably going with the easiest path with Yellow and maybe getting the rebuild from new to double adjustable through True Choice/Koni. IIRC it's going to be like $300 per shock for that route for the work plus cost of shock....

I am(finally) picking up my MK7 PP GTI today....