GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocrossing / Driving Techniques

Old 01-30-2018, 08:28 PM   #18
steddy2112

Drives: GTI SE, GTI Autobahn
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfury5 View Post
I was in the same situation as you last year. I ended up buying Michelin PSS for daily / autox use. After a few events it was clear that the PSS are capable, but just can't hold a candle to the true 200 treadwear tires. I ended up splurging and getting a 2nd set of wheels and RE-71R tires. THe RE-71R are 1.5 seconds faster around a typical local course. They're extremely noisy to daily (think of a jeep with offroad mud tires on it, that kind of whine), but actually feel the same in ride quality.

Overall: If you want to be competitive, don't get anything less than a true 200 treadwear tire. If you just want a fun daily and something that will be competent in autocross (but not the top), then the PSS are very hard to beat.
I just wanted to come in here and say:

This is the most understated thing about these tires I've ever lived with.

I cannot think of a tire that has been more disappointing that the PSS.

OP if you're someone who expects a summer tire to be an actual grippy thing that doesn't give up on you and is only OK in the rain at best, do not get Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

Before I got the GTI, I ran Direzza Star Specs exclusively on my Cobalt SS. Heat up quick, don't get greasy, good in the wet(as long as it's not standing water of course) and were WAY better mannered in cooler weather than the PSS.

PSS: the attitude of a 200 tw tire, with NONE of the upside other than maybe being quiet.

>:|
steddy2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 08:57 PM   #19
RacingManiac

Drives: Night Blue Metallic PP GTI 2dr 6MT
Eh, I think thats a bit extreme. Its not an Extreme Performance tire and should not be counted as such. I think wet weather performance is for sure superior to 200TW offering in most cases especially 200TWs are worn.
RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 11:35 PM   #20
Halewafa

Drives: 2017 GTI SE
So I've narrowed it down to the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 vs the Falken Azenis RT615K+. I know, two completely different tires, but they both seem to have stiff sidewalls which is what I was mainly after, they're both priced nicely, they both seem to be quiet for daily use. I'm leaning more towards the Falkens just so I can see what a 200 tread tire is really like, if it really is bad in the rain then I'll switch to the stock tires for the weeks with a lot of storms.

I now have a new question. Since I'm sticking with the 7.5" width wheels, does the 225/40R18 seem like the best fit? My concern is the tread width being 8.3" in that size. Looks like thats the smallest size for 18" diameter, so its really my only option. Any issues with that?
Halewafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 12:22 AM   #21
bfury5

Drives: MK7 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
I don't know if that necessarily is a reflection of the wheel weight, but RE71R is pretty heavy, and PSS is particularly light.
Very true. I never weighed the Rotary wheels before I had the PSS mounted, but I know the sparco weight is 18.5 per wheel.
bfury5 is offline   Reply With Quote