GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocrossing / Driving Techniques

Old 03-31-2017, 02:14 AM   #18
odessa.filez

Drives: 2016 GSW 1.8T S
Last weekend I had another event with the same instructor in my previous post. We both did 7 runs and drove together.

Guy did a great job assessing himself after each run and explaining what he would try next. In the end, he managed to top my best by three seconds (50ish times).

My conclusion is I need not hurry upgrading my tires, shocks etc as driving skill has plenty of room for improvement. Was going to upgrade tires soon, think I'll just flip them instead.

Sent from mobile
odessa.filez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:59 PM   #19
joofcorn

Drives: '17 Golf Alltrack
Great to see someone out there with a wagon. Recently got an Alltrack and really want to autox it since the GTI I used to own got T boned before I was able to get it to an autox event. Wasn't sure if I was the only person with a wagon who wanted to.
joofcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 05:39 PM   #20
odessa.filez

Quote:
Originally Posted by joofcorn View Post
Great to see someone out there with a wagon. Recently got an Alltrack and really want to autox it since the GTI I used to own got T boned before I was able to get it to an autox event. Wasn't sure if I was the only person with a wagon who wanted to.
do it!
and...look ahead, turn early

Sent from mobile
Old 04-14-2017, 02:28 AM   #21
rex n effect

Drives: '15 Golf R, Hyundai misfire'r'us santa fe
Quote:
Originally Posted by odessa.filez View Post
Last weekend I had another event with the same instructor in my previous post. We both did 7 runs and drove together.

Guy did a great job assessing himself after each run and explaining what he would try next. In the end, he managed to top my best by three seconds (50ish times).

My conclusion is I need not hurry upgrading my tires, shocks etc as driving skill has plenty of room for improvement. Was going to upgrade tires soon, think I'll just flip them...
Great, great conclusion!!
I've never seen anybody actually follow this advice that almost every experienced person gives! Way to listen to the people who've been there! Burn up what you've got first. I'd probably get some cheap/decent summers and put the all seasons back for the winter, though, just cause that's too tempting and mm self control.
rex n effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:05 AM   #22
odessa.filez

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex n effect View Post
Great, great conclusion!!
I've never seen anybody actually follow this advice that almost every experienced person gives! Way to listen to the people who've been there! Burn up what you've got first. I'd probably get some cheap/decent summers and put the all seasons back for the winter, though, just cause that's too tempting and mm self control.
yeah it is tempting and I reserve the right to change my mind, but I'll try to stick to the flip plan.

Sent from mobile

Last edited by odessa.filez; 04-14-2017 at 12:02 PM.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:52 PM   #23
odessa.filez

without camber adjustment up front, autox is hard on outside edges (front / back)

Sent from mobile
Old 04-14-2017, 09:47 PM   #24
MeltedSolid

Drives: Mk7 Golf TSI Launch Edition
It looks like you got off easy with the sidewall wear. When I was autoxing with the all seasons I was getting marks all the way past the brand letters. and the outside edge looked like a chainsaw had been taken to it. You must be at a much smoother location than I was.

I was at another driftcross/autocross last weekend and there was a much better selection of cars there than a month ago. The STI's/WRX's I had known from last season were back and there was even a lotus elise. This time I placed right in the pack of WRX's, 0.2s behind the fastest WRX which was a rally preped STI and ~0.2s in front of the 2nd fastest WRX which just had slicks and suspension. The lotus made fools of us all being nearly 3 seconds faster than everyone else. I am extremely happy with my mods, and this is clear evidence that they are working well. The only thing I'm really missing is tires to match the WRX's, as I'm on sub $300 summer tires right now . Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DThb...el=MeltedSolid
2015 TSI Launch Edition | Deep Black | 5-spd manual | APR Stage 1 + JB4 + IS20 swap | DIY Turbo Muffler Delete | 17" Enkei RPF1's | 034 dogbone insert V1 | BC Racing BR series Coilovers | ST 25mm rear sway bar | DIY HD Clutch Stop | NGK RS7 Spark Plugs | VWR Catted Downpipe

Last edited by MeltedSolid; 04-14-2017 at 09:56 PM.
MeltedSolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:27 PM   #25
Blade3562

Drives: 2015 Golf LE
Had a blast at Dragway 42 with Akron Sports Car Club. I was placed in STX/R. Other than two of their members/staff being total assholes for no reason other than to be assholes I had a blast and plan to go back. Times aren't really relevant as every course is different, and I forgot to turn on my video camera lol. I feel like my front sway bay may need to be adjusted. In the longer slaloms I could feel it wanting to understeer. Other than that and the stock pads coating the car in brake dust I am very very pleased with the car and have no complaints lol. Time for PP brakes, StopTech rotors and EBC pads! Running on 225/40R18s instead of the stock 195/65R15 made a huge difference!

There was also an R there, really cool guy. 6 speed car.

Blade3562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 04:56 PM   #26
MikeF1021

Drives: 2016 Golf 1.8
Gorgeous pics!

I hope to join the 1.8t autox club later this spring/summer
MikeF1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 02:48 AM   #27
odessa.filez

great pics, thanks for posting

no pics this week but ran another event last Sunday. Slower speed parking lot at the Tampa Dog Track but still plenty of fun. Ran in the first group, which meant sweeping the dirt off for the later groups.

This event finished off my all seasons. Fronts started to chunk off with the rough asphalt. Wasn't expecting to kill this set so quickly, so yesterday and today went online tire shopping and bought a set of Kumho TA71 195/65r15 at simpletire.com for $31 shipped / tire, after $60 rebate.

Originally hoped to move on to more aggressive compounds on next set, but this will buy me some more seat time/training at a cheap price.

okay not my pic but here's a "photo finish" from the event:

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited by odessa.filez; 04-26-2017 at 02:59 AM.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:54 AM   #28
Blade3562

Drives: 2015 Golf LE
I can't take credits for the pics, they were another member of the ASCC. More of his event pics here: http://piratedad.zenfolio.com/p980239329

Now dumb question when it comes to timing. Can someone explain what index timing means vs what my actual times were? Super confused lol.

Times were:

Index time was:

Index was:
Blade3562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 02:33 PM   #29
odessa.filez

imo most likely PAX index. think it's a handicapper for times, to compare times across classes.
http://nworscca.com/pax-index/6-pax-index.html

Old 04-30-2017, 01:34 AM   #30
rex n effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by odessa.filez View Post
great pics, thanks for posting

This event finished off my all seasons. Fronts started to chunk off with the rough asphalt. Wasn't expecting to kill this set so quickly, so yesterday and today went online tire shopping and bought a set of Kumho TA71 195/65r15 at simpletire.com for $31 shipped / tire, after $60 rebate.

Originally hoped to move on to more aggressive compounds on next set, but this will buy me some more seat time/training at a cheap price.
Aww man! 15" Re71r for sale I'm sure could be for a great price. Can you return the kumhos ?
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?t=8616378

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 04-30-2017, 01:38 AM   #31
rex n effect

Wrong size anyway I guess.

Old 04-30-2017, 04:51 PM   #32
odessa.filez

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex n effect View Post
Wrong size anyway I guess.

thanks !
will stick w the as tires for.a while longer.

did see federal evo 195/55/15 on amazon for 66 per tire shipped. next time.

Old 05-22-2017, 01:44 PM   #33
odessa.filez

One tail-happy car

we had a fun event this weekend. organizers took a course, broke it into sections and allowed multiple timed runs on each section. Afterwards, two "normal" runs across the whole course, compare to the best times on the sections. A good opportunity for concentrated practice of elements: slalom, turnaround, Chicago box, etc.

Participant count low 30s for a full day, so plenty of action. I'm classed in the slowest class but managed to top a few folks in faster cars.

I took advantage of our relaxed stock rules and put 15mm spacers up front and also set front toe to 1/8" out. Set tire pressure to 50f, 35r. This really REALLY loosened up the rear and made it a hand-ful at first but as the day went on it the above was a clear improvement: better slip and rotation in slaloms, better grip in the turnaround and in high speed obstacles (our Chicago box was placed after the highest speed section).

Last edited by odessa.filez; 05-22-2017 at 03:37 PM.
Old 06-08-2017, 08:55 PM   #34
skinnyroots

Drives: '16 1.8T
I'm seriously considering signing up for my first AutoX this summer--but I have a few reservations.

For one, I have zero performance driving experience. I don't expect everyone there to be pros, but I don't know how welcome they'd be to newbies.

Secondly, I just bought a brand new set of performance summer tires a couple weeks ago, and I'd hate to burn through them so quickly. I mean, they've got a treadwear rating of 340, and I have a dedicated set of winters, but this car is my daily and I can't afford to burn through them so quickly.

That said, I'm open to being convinced otherwise. I can't think of a better place to safely test the limits of my car other than a track or an AutoX event.
2016 Golf TSI - 1.8T - Unitronic Stage 1 - OEM Lowering Springs - 034 Dogbone Insert - 18" OEM 'Topas' Wheels - Bridgestone Potenza RE760 - ECS Tuning CF Mirror Caps - Dynablink Turn Signals - 35/20% Tints - Euroswitch w/ Auto Light Sensor - Pure White
skinnyroots is offline   Reply With Quote