GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > Golf R Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 01-12-2018, 12:41 PM   #18
KASPER

Drives: 17 MK7R dsg
You’re not running denso’s by chance are you? They’ve been known for failures.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:39 PM   #19
Crudulous

Drives: GTI
Also, here's a diagnostic screenshot for P2188 courtesy of YourMechanic.com:

Do you have access to VCDS or OBDeleven for doing output tests and monitoring fuel trims? And did your exhaust always sound so killer, or do you think the turbo-back has exhaust leak now?

Last edited by Crudulous; 01-12-2018 at 05:56 PM.
Crudulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:45 PM   #20
TheWombat

Drives: Golf R MKVII 2016 manual
I admire you guys with the gumption to do these aggressive tunes. I'm way too chicken to risk my only car this way. Well, that and I have no where to actually use even the power the stock car puts out.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:24 PM   #21
Firstboost

Drives: Intrepidus Cuniculus
Just as an FYI, it's in and out play that is bad for turbos, not so much the up and down unless it is noticeably hitting the compressor housing.

Also, have you ruled out that all of your coil packs work? Could be limp mode, but I wouldn't think limp mode would cause such a rough idle.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:07 PM   #22
Noize

Drives: 2017 Golf R
Check intercooler and intake pipe connections, flash to stock, drive car, and report back.
If it drives fine after, obviously don't use that map again.

'17 GTI SE DSG
Noize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:51 PM   #23
The Fed

Drives: 2016 Golf R
And forget about a dealer fixing it under warranty.
(Mostly) Posted by Josh/AWE. Flapper valves are open at idle, close after 1100 RPM during part throttle. Full throttle 1st-4th gear the valves open until throttle let off. 4th gear, 1500 RPM to full throttle closed, closed until 3500 RPM, then open until lift off throttle.
The Fed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:40 AM   #24
JC_451

Drives: 2017 GTi Sport 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWombat View Post
I admire you guys with the gumption to do these aggressive tunes. I'm way too chicken to risk my only car this way. Well, that and I have no where to actually use even the power the stock car puts out.
Can't drive fast with a dog in the car anyway, they too stupid to buckle up
JC_451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:37 AM   #25
Nestor0616

I have never understood why people have so many problems after they tune their cars , it seems that either they drive their cars like they stole it after a tune or they start playing with shit that they got no business playing with or simply don’t understand
I tuned my car like 5k miles ago and I haven’t had absolutely any problems at all but I take care of my car , I don’t drive it hard every time that I get in it , once in a while I push it a little but I don’t treat my car like it is my enemy , also I do maintenance on time and even tho I’m a professional tech I do work on the hardware ( IC , DP , etc ) but when it comes to the tuning I pay for a qualified tuner to do that because I simply don’t have neither the equipment or the capabilities to do it and I don’t fuck around with my car
Nestor0616 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:37 AM   #26
iTsLiKeAnEgG

Drives: 2015 Oryx White Pearl Golf R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestor0616 View Post
I have never understood why people have so many problems after they tune their cars , it seems that either they drive their cars like they stole it after a tune or they start playing with shit that they got no business playing with or simply don’t understand
I tuned my car like 5k miles ago and I haven’t had absolutely any problems at all but I take care of my car , I don’t drive it hard every time that I get in it , once in a while I push it a little but I don’t treat my car like it is my enemy , also I do maintenance on time and even tho I’m a professional tech I do work on the hardware ( IC , DP , etc ) but when it comes to the tuning I pay for a qualified tuner to do that because I simply don’t have neither the equipment or the capabilities to do it and I don’t fuck around with my car
Some percentage of cars are known to fail prematurely and a tune just speeds up the process. Every tune is also different so its possible his tune is too aggressive and caused damage under the right circumstances (temperature / fuel quality).
- ED Stage 2 ECU Tune - ED DSG Tune - VWR R600 Intake - APR Intercooler - USP Catted Downpipe - H&R Rear Sway Bar - 034 Dogbone Insert - VWR Springs - ECS Resonator Delete - TT-RS Front Brakes - Neuspeed RSe102 19x8.5 - MD Spoiler Extension - LED Euro Tails -
iTsLiKeAnEgG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:04 PM   #27
lucyfek

Drives: 16 GTI S 2 door 6MT, 02 zx3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noize View Post
Check intercooler and intake pipe connections, flash to stock, drive car, and report back.
If it drives fine after, obviously don't use that map again.
that's what I'd check as well - it sounds like the intake system is open somewhere. Block the pipe at the air filter, and see if the rest kept pressure (technically this should be a closed system, even with one of intake valve sets opened, the exhaust valves for the cylinder would be closed). Also, check the DV valve - by dumping all the boost back to airbox it'll make your R run in NA mode (maybe something sets it to open due to another malfunction but it'd likely be easy to force it closed for quick test).
lucyfek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 01:13 AM   #28
Daument

Drives: 2017 R
Big time issues

Quote:
I have never understood why people have so many problems after they tune their cars , it seems that either they drive their cars like they stole it after a tune or they start playing with shit that they got no business playing with or simply donít understand
I tuned my car like 5k miles ago and I havenít had absolutely any problems at all but I take care of my car , I donít drive it hard every time that I get in it , once in a while I push it a little but I donít treat my car like it is my enemy , also I do maintenance on time and even tho Iím a professional tech I do work on the hardware ( IC , DP , etc ) but when it comes to the tuning I pay for a qualified tuner to do that because I simply donít have neither the equipment or the capabilities to do it and I donít fuck around with my car

^^ this ... agree, I drive it ďnormallyĒ 98% of the time. I donít beat on it, launch it or attempt to shift if flat out. I do drive it aggressively at times however. I generally donít do mods many consider to have marginal performance gains.

Uni stage 2 e20 93 octane
JB4 ... usually on map 4 for logging, map 6 for special occasions
AWE catted resonated downpipe
TTRS do it yourself kit

I purchased a BMS meth kit but at this point the car runs well... perhaps in the spring

YMMV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by Daument; 01-14-2018 at 12:35 PM.
Daument is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 02:08 PM   #29
The Fed

Quote:
I have never understood why people have so many problems after they tune their cars , it seems that either they drive their cars like they stole it after a tune or they start playing with shit that they got no business playing with or simply donít understand
I tuned my car like 5k miles ago and I havenít had absolutely any problems at all but I take care of my car , I donít drive it hard every time that I get in it , once in a while I push it a little but I donít treat my car like it is my enemy , also I do maintenance on time and even tho Iím a professional tech I do work on the hardware ( IC , DP , etc ) but when it comes to the tuning I pay for a qualified tuner to do that because I simply donít have neither the equipment or the capabilities to do it and I donít fuck around with my car
Me neither.
(Mostly) Posted by Josh/AWE. Flapper valves are open at idle, close after 1100 RPM during part throttle. Full throttle 1st-4th gear the valves open until throttle let off. 4th gear, 1500 RPM to full throttle closed, closed until 3500 RPM, then open until lift off throttle.
The Fed is offline   Reply With Quote