GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Volkswagen GTI / Golf MK7 General Topics > GTI & Golf MK7 General Discussions

Old 01-09-2018, 10:59 PM   #18
vj123

Drives: 2016 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefhiawatha View Post
I took the advice of several here and talked to a dealer I like and contacted the shop the use all the time and asked for who is sent to do the glass at the dealer. $900 with oem glass jeez. Not even Rain sense

SafeLite has an approved list of local vendors. Talk to people / browse online to find a vendor with good reviews and see if that particular vendor is approved by SafeLite. Thats how i found my service provider.

Your dealer might have quoted the actual price of the windshield without considering your insurance information and thats going to be expensive.
vj123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:57 AM   #19
KevinC

Drives: '16 Golf R, '05 ZHP Coupé
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefhiawatha View Post
I took the advice of several here and talked to a dealer I like and contacted the shop the use all the time and asked for who is sent to do the glass at the dealer. $900 with oem glass jeez. Not even Rain sense
$900?? FULL parts counter list price for that thing is around $400.. can someone very current pricing? They're absolutely fleecing you/your insurance company at that price. They pay even less.
Old 01-10-2018, 02:03 AM   #20
vj123

Drives: 2016 GTI
Windshield replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
$900?? FULL parts counter list price for that thing is around $400.. can someone very current pricing? They're absolutely fleecing you/your insurance company at that price. They pay even less.

When i replaced my windshield last year, i was told that the retail price of OEM glass is around $900. His dealer might have quoted the full price without considering his insurance claim.
vj123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 02:05 AM   #21
picollo

Drives: mk7 gti
If u will actually be able to watch them do the work, make sure that they are properly removing the old/original adhesive. I had mine replaced by another company while I was watching the guy do it. He did an amazing job. The same dude replaced the windshield on my wife's Tiguan while I was at work, thus not able to watch him like a hawk. He did not properly remove the original adhesive and no surprise there: the new windshield was not seated as it should, and you could hear wind noises from that area at 35 mph. You can only imagine what it sounded like at freeway speeds.
picollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:25 PM   #22
nate704

Drives: 2017 R
Safelite is 100% hit or miss. it all depends on who the contracting company is in your area. if they have crappy people in your area, you will get shitty Safelite experience.
I will always go with local window companies with great reviews and reputation instead of going with the big name companies like Safelite.
nate704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:13 PM   #23
Shane_Anigans

Drives: 2017 GTI Sport DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by picollo View Post
If u will actually be able to watch them do the work, make sure that they are properly removing the old/original adhesive.
It takes one of the oscillating tools made by Rockwell or Dremel to completely remove the old adhesive. If you don't see them using one, be prepared for water leaks down the road.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:56 AM   #24
chiefhiawatha

Drives: 2017 GTI manual
Following up: windshield was replaced and it seems to be perfect. I called the local Tesla dealer and they sent me to the same place VW uses. Took 90 minutes or so.
chiefhiawatha is offline   Reply With Quote